• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Age 60 perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think you'd find many guys with a decent pension wanting the age changed. Those guys who were banking on a fat retirement however, only to have it yanked by even greedier management types, probably want the rule changed. Heck, they might even NEED it changed. I'm seeing a thread here pointing to greed by those approaching 60, yet how many oppose it simply b/c it delays their own fat paycheck or thier own selfish desire to retire when they want to? Personally, I'd like to retire at 60. I've got over 20 years to change my mind, however. You should have the ability to work in America to whatever age you'd like - but only to the extent you're not dangerous. If 60+ guys can pass a rigorous physical every 6 mos, handle the training and the sims, then they should get to keep flying.

I am strickly dealing with the safety issue here,not the money. That is how a professional approaches all problems,strickly rational unemotional decision making. After all, our passengers deserve the safest ride they can obtain.

Age 60 it not about safety. Age 60 was forced on the pilots back in 1958. ALPA was still fighting to get it repealed up until about 1970. This rule had nothing to do with safety; it was a deal between two W.W.II USAF Generals, AAL's C.R. Smith and Pete Quesada (sp.?) the first head of the FAA. It was to get rid of high paid pilots at the top of AAL the seniority list. It was done in the name of safety, because who can be against safety. It is like motherhood and patriotism

Step aside you old farts and let the young studs get the jobs they need. If your so worried about money, you shouldn't have gotten involved in this industry and you should have started saving more money way back instead of buying yachts and what not. Enjoy life after 60 and quit working yourselves to death.

I want to be sitting on a beach all day after 60, not working in a cramped cockpit and putting more stress on the old ticker.

Last edited:
Deuce130 said:
I'm seeing a thread here pointing to greed by those approaching 60, yet how many oppose it simply b/c it delays their own fat paycheck or thier own selfish desire to retire when they want to?

Those hoping for a change are trying to put more money in their pockets.

Those who oppose it are trying to keep money from being taken from them.

Both are self-serving, but only the first is greedy.

And one thing's for sure, it won't make the industry any safer.

Purpled said:
Those hoping for a change are trying to put more money in their pockets.

Those who oppose it are trying to keep money from being taken from them.

Both are self-serving, but only the first is greedy.

And one thing's for sure, it won't make the industry any safer.

How is one greedy and the other not? I didn't realize that any money was being "taken" from someone else. Sure, an upgrade may be delayed, but that money will be made up down the road for that guy from 60-65 ... if he chooses to keep working. IMO, any argument for this outside of a safety viewpoint is simply about dollars. On both sides. To call one greedy but the other not is ridiculous. One guy wants to make 206/hr a few more years, the other wants to make it a few years earlier.

sidewalk said:
Step aside you old farts and let the young studs get the jobs they need. If your so worried about money, you shouldn't have gotten involved in this industry and you should have started saving more money way back instead of buying yachts and what not. Enjoy life after 60 and quit working yourselves to death.

I want to be sitting on a beach all day after 60, not working in a cramped cockpit and putting more stress on the old ticker.

If your goal is truly the second paragraph, then you should have followed your own advice.

These same greedy old creeps that have been pulling in the bucks while the rest of us sit on furlough just smile and tell us how "that's just part of the deal".

Well now they can experience their part of the "deal".

They want to have their cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back