• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Age 60 perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For those that want to INCREASE the age and say it is for morale reasons and not their personal welfare, then fine let's change the age.... BUT I'm sure you will feel equally strong if it takes effect 10 years from now. Right?!!

I didn't think so.

It's going to happen sooner or later, get over it and plan for it.

The group that wants the age increased is the very same group that forced ALPA to change their opinion back in the early 80's.

This group got stuck as S/O and F/O for about 10 years. They all got together and forced ALPA to support the age 60 rule. Up to that point, ALPA had lobbied against the age 60 retirement.

Now that this group is about to retire they want the age 60 rule changed. You will never meet a greeder generation then the baby boomer generation.

Flight engineers should have a mandatory retirement age the same as the pilots. I never understood this exception.

Airline pilots should also be allowed to receive govt benefits (social sec/medicare) upon retiring.

MECH said:
The group that wants the age increased is the very same group that forced ALPA to change their opinion back in the early 80's.

This group got stuck as S/O and F/O for about 10 years. They all got together and forced ALPA to support the age 60 rule. Up to that point, ALPA had lobbied against the age 60 retirement.

Now that this group is about to retire they want the age 60 rule changed. You will never meet a greeder generation then the baby boomer generation.

That hit the nail on the head.

It's going to happen sooner or later, get over it and plan for it.

That's fine...let's just wait till I'm in the Left seat. Because it's all about me, just like it is all about you.

I have not flown with a pilot in their late fifties who I thought had a few more years left in him...everyone knows what guys are like after 60...they are losing the sharpness and attention to detail that keeps us safe. As it was said before, this is pure greed from a generation that is all about "me". That's why they are known as the "me" generation...just retire and be happy with the life you've had like those before you.

I'm really not to sure whether I am in favor of the age 60 rule. Some folks are still very sharp at that age and others will have problems. Although I think medical improvements will definitely improve the odds of a more vital and robust 65 year old in the future.

If it does happen I think the prudent wait and see approach would be in order. Wait another 5 years and see if there is in fact any data that supports or denies the age 65 dilema. If it is approved then it is in the hands of the training departments and the aeromedical examiners.

THE MILLION DOLLAR FIGHT

60 to 65 = 5 years = 5 yrs X $200K = $1,000,000

That Extra million dollars you get means I get my million dollars 5 years later. But because you enjoyed the old rules (5yr earlier upgrade) and I will get screwed by the proposed new rules, you will actually get a million more than me.

Sorry you won't get my vote or those like me. the demographic at the majors is more juniorcentric (<45 yrs old and not a captain VERSUS >50 yrs old and a captain).

If I were in the left seat of the smallest plane at my company (DC-9 @ $150-200K), then I wouldn't give a $hit. But just like the rules changed for the old f^rts (bankruptsy/lost pension), they changed for me (us) too. Instead of a 5 yr upgrade it is now 15 yrs and there are plenty of 40+ year old men getting furloughed. So none of you geezers should waste you breath trying to convince me or others like me that age 65/67 is a really a good deal for me.

The editor guy at FLTops.com doesn't have a dog in the fight and he says it's at about (your) economics. Don't BS me with science or discrimmination crap. Have enough nutsack to tell the truth and say it is "All about YOU." I did.

Latest resources

Back