• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Age 60 perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You argue that I will benefit from the extra 5 years. Wrong.

The rule change will delay my chance to earn the extra money, and I will now NEED those extra years just to make up for the lost income.

These guys knew the rule when they signed up.

Your captain’s seat is my right. So the longer the age 60 rule stays, the more old guys go out the door, and that’s better for me. ALPA has been milking the Age 60 rule for all it’s worth. I say well done, and even if the rule does somehow change, age 60 will always be the best thing ALPA ever did for the junior guys.

Age 60 Live (or Die) With It

Age 60 is arbitrary, just as is age 65, there's no evidence of decreased capacity - BUT
You all (everyone reading this forum) got into this business under that rule; folks had to retire so you could get here (even you crotchety old b@stards out there) so deal with it. The idea that I have to not only support my ancestors' pensions, but also allow them to tread ON MY CARREER for an additional five years is pure B.S.
If you're approaching 60, (albeit possibly without a decent pension), prepare yourself for gardening/woodworking, study the stock market, take a class in micro-economics. Bottom line, don't try to milk any funds from the under-sixty crowd because of "excuse number___"

LEROY said:
Age 60 is arbitrary, just as is age 65, there's no evidence of decreased capacity - BUT
You all (everyone reading this forum) got into this business under that rule; folks had to retire so you could get here (even you crotchety old b@stards out there) so deal with it.
Hate to tell ya this, but this is 2006. The rules have changed. Most guys who are approaching 60 no longer have the retirement benefits they once did.

Those folks who "had to retire so [we] could get here" did so, for the most part, with very generous pensions. Most of us "got into this business" in the expectation that we too, would have similar pensions at age 60.

Obviously, that's no longer the case. Not only are the old guys not getting pensions, but you young guys aren't going to be getting them either. The difference is, that you're aware of that relatively early in your career, when you've got 20-30 years to make alternate plans. To a guy who learns 5 years prior to his planned retirement that most of his pension has been wiped out through bankruptcy, it's a different story.

All the "age 65" guys are asking for is a chance to make up for some of those losses. The "rising tide which floats all ships" will eventually float yours, too. It will just float it a few years later.

This argument isn't about "safety," and it's not about "tradition." It's about voting your fellow airmen out of a job, simply so that you can advance more quickly up the seniority list.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Senior guys have been selling out junior guys as long as this profession has been around the way I see it. We may be living longer than ever before, but longevity has nothing to do with ones ability to fly an airliner. It comes down to mental acumen. And by the time this deterioration of acumen can be noticed, it is too late, you have already negatively affected safety in the cockpit. And as far as our minds go, it seems nothing has improved on this front. More people are getting alzheimers than ever before. For thos of you who have grandparents or parents over 60, you have to know what I mean. And like I said, once you have noticed the deterioration, it is too late, you have already potentialy been a detriment in the cockpit.

This is why company pensions should not have allowed to have been destroyed by the despicable airline management which abounds these days. I feel it should actually be mandated by law, since we must retire several years before full SS benefits. The fact that we are thrown to the wolves for several years is unconscionable.

Whistlin' Dan said:
This argument isn't about "safety," and it's not about "tradition." It's about voting your fellow airmen out of a job, simply so that you can advance more quickly up the seniority list.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

A perfect example of what I said about senior folks selling out the junior folks, especially the last 5 years. Its all about me me me! I guess it's human nature to feel that way, but why should these senior folks expect us junior folks to delay our advancement by 5 years. And if this age is increased, sadly, I hope it is done in small increments. Maybe 62 for 10 years then 65 in 2017 or something like that.

THE RULES HAVE CHANGED
because those who have enjoyed the rules for so many years believe they need to change the rules to their benefit. Period.
Blame the companies that ROBBED YOU of your retirement; don't blame (and burden) the pilots who continue to work after you.
I don't owe you a pension... your company does. Don't be a moocher...

pipejockey said:
Senior guys have been selling out junior guys as long as this profession has been around the way I see it.
Yea man, it's all those senior guys, man! And it's not just THIS profession, man! It's like that everywhere, man! They've been like, "selling us out" ever since high school, man!

Think about it, dude! It was always the senior guys who had the hottest cars, man! They always had the best jobs, and the hottest chicks too, man! And the senior guys, they could all buy liquor long before we could, man!

The military was like that too, man! Always the senior guys running things, selling out the junior guys. We did all the dirty work, while they got all the glory.

Then came the airlines, and there they were again, man! The senior guys, I mean. Always with the best seats, the best schedules, the best F/A's. No justice, man! No justice!

Now they want to raise the retirement age to 65, and who are going to be the first guys to benefit from that? Effin-A dude...the senior guys, AGAIN!

Man, I HATE those senior guys! I am NEVER gonna be one, myself...

age 60

Let me start out by saying that I'm not in the airlines, so I don't have a real opinion of the age 60 rule. I can see the validity of both sides' arguments, but don't know how I would feel if I were in you guys' situation. I normally won't post in the airline boards, I just like to browse and keep up with where aviation is in general. I just had a few comments this time, not trying to take a side.

I fly with several retired airline guys at my charter company. They all wish they could afford to retire, I think maybe a few could. They are all nervous about their future just as you guys are. One day you will be there, but you will have had the benefit of preparation for a retirement without a pension garauntee. I'm glad these guys can find work after the airlines, and maybe thats the solution, move on to 91 or 135, I don't know, but don't lump every senior pilot as senile(sp.?).

I fly as captain on our King Airs and f/o on ours jets, I get to fly with these guys a great deal. I haven't really found these guys mental capacity to be that diminished(or maybe I pick up the slack and don't know it). I enjoy learning from them, thay have such vast experience to learn from. I learn things from them I can't get in books. The places where I find deficiencies is in the things they were not used to doing in the airlines. It drives them crazy when we do visuals in these small jets. They usally want to pick up the approach even in severe clear or they setup for a 10 mile final. I guess they're just used to the big jets. Outside of flying, the things they usually have a hard time adapting to is loading luggage, fueling the plane, washing the plane and things like that that were done for them at the airlines. They do get tired a little sooner after 5 or 6 legs on a 14 hour day.

The point of this post being, the mental ability argument of the age 60 rule isn't very valid, from my point of view. I think money is a more substantial reason, I'll let ya'll figure that one out. There are many retired airline guys out in the corporate, charter,and fractional world that do a great job everyday. They have the ability to pass their physicals, pass checkrides, and learn new aircraft types. It's not very logical that you are safe at 59 years, 364 days, and 1 day later you are unsafe. Thats just a ridiculous assumption. There are guys I fly with in there 40's that I have to pick up more slack than the older guys. I'm sure if you think hard, you could probably think of pilots that you fly with in the airlines that are probably not as sharp as some of the older guys. A better practice would probably be to start giving a cognitive test at some earlier age, but then you would probably start weeding out guys before 60 and some probably not until in their 70's, but hey, I could be wrong.

This has all just been food for thought from a charter guy with nothing to gain or lose in this. Take it for what it is, just opinions. I wish you guys the best and I hope the airline industry turns up for ya'll and there won't be a need for these types of debates. I have some good friends at the airlines and I hate seeing their wages and benefits being jerked around so much. I've made my bed with corporate and charter and it would be too big of a pay cut to get into the airlines now, but I do like to keep up with things. What effects one segment of aviation, effects all. Good luck guys.

Latest resources

Back