Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mckpickle said:
Compared to whom? Apples to apples.

Air Wisconsin, but it is off topic and I apologize for bringing it up. Who ever gets the flying will likely be taking flying from skyway, it really sucks. And while AWAC might have a hanger, this also might be a moot point as Midwest is trying to lease part of thier hanger, so really anyone could move in pretty quick and start operations there. We will all just have to wait and see until late summer when they will likely decide.

n757st said:
Air Wisconsin, but it is off topic and I apologize for bringing it up. Who ever gets the flying will likely be taking flying from skyway, it really sucks. And while AWAC might have a hanger, this also might be a moot point as Midwest is trying to lease part of thier hanger, so really anyone could move in pretty quick and start operations there. We will all just have to wait and see until late summer when they will likely decide.

True, it does suck for the Skyway guys. I think a wholey owned should use it's assets before outsourcing. I also think CAL should never have sold us off. As far as Air Wisky I'm not sure what pay scales you're looking at however XJT's are about 2 bucks more per hour for captains. The FO rates favor AW in the first 3 years and then match. HOWEVER, XJT gets much more of a 401K match, more per diem. I'm not sure of the vacatio proviion in their contract however I have 1 week this month and was scheduled to fly 5 days. The 4 day I'm picking up on Friday is 21 hours of overtime pay. The cost of our contract is not in the pay rates alone but mostly the work rules.

I'm not trying to brag or pull this whole my airline is better bullshat. What I''m saying is that it IS POSSIBLE to raise the bar, not lower it. It increase the good service you provide and not kill it. So all those guys taking pay cuts or flying 70 seat a/c for 50 seat prices are crazy. Stand up for yourselves and the profession for christ sake!

ils2minimums said:
Maybe the 25 airplanes are intended to replace the ENTIRE Skyway fleet and just lease the whole commuter unit instead of owning it...
My guess is that some 717 flying is going to get replaced also.

mckpickle said:
So than why have so many taken pay cuts or accepted sub-par contracts then?
Because they didn't know then what they do know now. Reference Comair, Air Wisconsin/UAL, even Expressjet/CAL. Your new contract didn't make you "too expensive" for CAL...

Mesa accepted a "sub-par contract" in part to kill & scope anti-union Freedom. Their contract comes up soon, so lets all support JA and company and make sure they get what they deserve. CHQ accepted a "sub-par" contract (to some, at least 70/90 rates) in part to kill & scope non-union Republic. But you knew that already.

The arguing about payrates & shiat is stupid, especially when it refers to Skyway and the Midwest RFP. AWAC pilots got a pretty good raise a couple months ago due to our industry average adjustment in part to XJT's new contract. I acknowledge that and say "thank you!"...but hopefully, a couple months after June 28th "the bar" for 50 seat rates will be reset and this whole frickin' discussion will be *moot*.

Last edited:
BoilerUP said:
but hopefully, a couple months after June 28th "the bar" for 50 seat rates will be reset and this whole frickin' discussion will be mute.

WHat happens june 28th?

First, don't look for PCL to be a player in the bid. Their performance hasn't exactly been "stellar", especially with the mass exodus of most of their experienced core Captain group to SWA, JB, airTran, FedEx, netJets, etc. Add to that I've been told that Pinnacle keeps bidding high-cost comparable to current rates from Northwest on a fee-per-departure level, and you have two reasons why PCL probably won't be a player. PCL has one of THE lowest operating costs of the aircraft, but Phil T is a wee too proud of his product evidently.

Next, I'm not getting this whole idea of fleet diversification between types. Maybe I'm missing something, but if they're going to replace some of the 328 flying they want to get but can't, why not replace them ALL with a common fleet type?

CRJ CASM sucks, so does the hourly operating cost. It's doubtful Midwest will like ANY of those prices; even if they price it to operate it themselves the sticker shock will probably give them a second thought to look at MESA's rates. That said, I don't know what the 328's are running them on a CASM or hourly operating cost basis for comparison...

How are Midwest mainline's financials to try to pull it off themselves?

ultrarunner said:
My guess is that some 717 flying is going to get replaced also.
That will go over like a fart in church.

Lear70 said:
Next, I'm not getting this whole idea of fleet diversification between types. Maybe I'm missing something, but if they're going to replace some of the 328 flying they want to get but can't, why not replace them ALL with a common fleet type?
Good Question...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back