Mesaba Redistribution of Snapback Raises

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CA should keep their pay raises and let the FOs fend for themselves

Yeah, the FOs should have told the MEC Captains 10 years ago that they didn't want a blended rate. . . riiiiight.

Give it to the FOs. A few hundred bucks a month extra means much more to someone making 30-something thousand a year.

Everyone gets raises. The original snapbacks were 4% for CAs and FOs. The proposed plan is supposedly "cost neutral" and would mean a 2.4% raise for captains and approx 8.4% raise for FOs.

If all else fails---K.I.S.S.
Keep the snapback plan in place!

Can you say self-induced food fight, with no winner? We will all be watching from the sidelines---right beside your management!

Last edited:
the XJ alpa is not driving a wedge between the pilots. I think the union has a chance to up the FO pay rates before there section 6 in 2012. Its alot easier to have the FO's get a 8.5% raise now and when section 6 starts get another 8% raise after section 6, than ask for a double digit percent raise for FO's during section 6. I would rather give up 1.6 % out of 4% of my raise that I havent seen yet to help me get better QOL in section 6. Call me crazy, but I would rather lose $1500 dollars a year for a coulpe of years to recoupe it on better QOL, and get that money back after the contract is signed. Think about it, your going into contract talks with the company and the company knows that your going try and get double digit raise for FO's and raise for Captians, why would the company spring for more deadhead pay or higher prediem rates or anything else you can think of that you want to improve QOL when your asking for huge pay raises for crews.

By doing this now, this would also help all the other airlines that are in contract talks. now managment cant use the mesaba FO rates against there own FO's. Just ask 9E guys if there managment didnt try to thrust the mesaba FO rates on there FO's. I think it is just a way to fix the rates to help mesaba get a new contract under 5 years and to help all the companies in section 6 to help bring up there pay rates of FO's. I think its just away to help the industry as a whole.

jsut my 2 cents on the subject

If all else fails---K.I.S.S.
Keep the snapback plan in place!

Can you say self-induced food fight, with no winner? We will all be watching from the sidelines---right beside your management!

I was going to contest some of your ideas in your original post, but they're gone.

Many XJ Capts were FOs during 2001-2004 when there were no upgrades. Many probably remember how much it sucked. I hope that more are thinking it would have been easier if we had an industry standard pay and not the sub-par Avro pay that we had.

I remember a road show where I asked why we didn't ditch the blended rate. "Too complicated" was the answer. As if weighing trip rigs vs min day was a simple matter of counting fingers and toes. . .

Parity is fair - regardless of the time frame. Don't keep screwing the FOs because it's a "short term" position. 5 years isn't short term for a regional FO.

Yeah, the FOs should have told the MEC Captains 10 years ago that they didn't want a blended rate. . . riiiiight.

Except the many many of the FO's on the property today couldn't have done that 10 years ago unless it was at career day in 6th grade, and one of those Captains were speaking at their class.. We have a large number of FO's who came here right out of college (if they went) and were hired at 20 years old. The point is that these pilots do not understand where this "raise" is coming from, because they have no concept what these captains and FO's lost during the bankruptcy....This "raise" is recovery from the issues that happened when they were in high-school. Remember this 4% is not a "Raise", it restores our wages to where they should have already been for years because of the bankruptcy. You are crazy if you think we will recover that and more during the next contract talks. Too many of the younger pilots have never been through contract negotiations, and just assume that if you ask for something you get it. The union should never voluntarily lower any pay scale.

Except the many many of the FO's on the property today couldn't have done that 10 years ago unless it was at career day in 6th grade, and one of those Captains were speaking at their class.. We have a large number of FO's who came here right out of college (if they went) and were hired at 20 years old. The point is that these pilots do not understand where this "raise" is coming from, because they have no concept what these captains and FO's lost during the bankruptcy....This "raise" is recovery from the issues that happened when they were in high-school. Remember this 4% is not a "Raise", it restores our wages to where they should have already been for years because of the bankruptcy. You are crazy if you think we will recover that and more during the next contract talks. Too many of the younger pilots have never been through contract negotiations, and just assume that if you ask for something you get it. The union should never voluntarily lower any pay scale.

Don't worry, us "20 year olds" will all be gone anyway in the next year. The only pilots that will be left on property is the ones from pre-bankruptcy once the saabs are gone. So us young punks will be out of your hair soon. Wait a few months.

I'm sorry that you and others are being furloughed. The attitude problem may not be you but others in your demographic. Go over to the Mesaba pilot board and read about how one in your age group called senior mesaba pilots "lazy lifers who should basically get out of the way for the younger people who want to get their PIC to move on to... ? (I'm not sure where they are in such a hurry to move on to) The author also made a point to decide for all of us that making a career out a regional airline is not acceptable.

Call me crazy, but I would rather lose $1500 dollars a year for a coulpe of years to recoupe it on better QOL, and get that money back after the contract is signed. Think about it, your going into contract talks with the company and the company knows that your going try and get double digit raise for FO's and raise for Captians, why would the company spring for more deadhead pay or higher prediem rates or anything else you can think of that you want to improve QOL when your asking for huge pay raises for crews.
sut my 2 cents on the subject

No, I'll call you naive, By what brand of logic do you argue a captains pay increase in the next contract when you are basically telling the company now that we don't need the snap back. I can hear them now "Sure, we'll increase the FO pay, but you overpaid Captains have to give us something in return. After all you had no problem giving up a portion of your snap back before"

Latest resources

Back