• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Hiring Pilots with Less than 600 and 50 with Chief Pilots Approval

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the low time pilots are a safety issue as is being implied then what should commercial certificate minimums be raised to? Should all crew members be required to have an ATP for 121/135 operations?

Absolutly, any operation that requires that one pilot has an ATP should require that both do (if a second pilot is required) You should have to meet ATP mins to be hired and the ATP should be part of your initial checkride

As a matter of fact, yes. Every new hire to a 121 airline should meet ATP minimums or have the ticket. This should be an FAR. ALPA is actually looking into it, according to Prater. Just like the AMA controls entry into their field, we should control entry into ours.
Hundreds will have to die before that rule is made.

Upgrade at Mesaba is now less than 5 months!! Newest vacancy has a guy that was hired April 23 2007 as a MEM CA position, starts training on Oct 15!!!! WOW upgrade went from 7 years to 5 months!

The latest vacancy award is out. The junior Captain award (MEM) was hired in April 2007. :eek: Looks like Mesaba is gonna run out of people qualified for upgrade real fast.?

Holy crap! I never thought I'd see that day. I remember jumpseating home on Mesaba and regularly talking to 8-year Saab FOs.

Should all crew members be required to have an ATP for 121/135 operations?

A good idea in theory, perhaps, but unrealistic in the current environment. Shoot, I've been at a regional for almost 5 years and I still don't have an ATP (waiting for that elusive upgrade), although I've been taking the equivalent of an ATP checkride since I got my Learjet type 7 years ago.

Double the current pay/bennys at the regionals and maybe you could require everyone have an ATP.

A good idea in theory, perhaps, but unrealistic in the current environment.

Double the current pay/bennys at the regionals and maybe you could require everyone have an ATP.

uhh, I think you got your thinking process a little backwards on that one. :)

Hi!

Upgrades did NOT go from 7 years to 5 months overnight.

Major pilots (DAL, NWA, etc.) are telling people how long the upgrades are based on the same logic as above.

There was NO hiring for years at DAL, NWA and Mesaba.

For instance, I know a DAL guy who is saying it will be 12-20 years+ for captain upgrades.

Then, the latest DAL bid came out, and DAL guys said a 1999 guy would make captain. That's an 8 year wait for captain, right?

NO. DAL hired in 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2007. So, a 1999 guy has 3 years of seniority.

ALL the regionals are hiring very low time people, and the upgrades are coming fast and furious, because of the former and current pilot hiring situation.

The numbers of PAX are steadily expanding, and the numbers of new pilots are not.

We had guys at 3.5 years to upgrade, and now it's down to 5 months or less, same as everybody else.

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back