• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba..CPTs Off The Street!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lets see, you can get street capt but you will be at the bottom of the list for some time. But in the mid 40's an hour range. that would feed a family in memphis or detroit. MInneapolis is $$$ though. We are paid during training, i would not doubt you would get screwed and not get capt pay if hired as a capt. new hire pay is like 24 an hour. paid out at 75 a month guarantee. Better than some, but lower than most I beleive. not a bad place to work now, but a year ago........saying it was bad is a serious understatement. the times are different. If the NWA flow starts, be prepared for a lot of movement, especially into a jet if thats what you want....but wait in line.....and to all of you who are pre-madonnas......stay away, we paid our dues, we do not want attitudes...we want good people, i am training with a bunch now that are pretty good people......who know how lucky they are.

If the NWA flow starts, be prepared for a lot of movement,

isn't it 9 slots a month from XJ to NW? if that is the case 108 a year is not that much movement. I know your seniority list is around 800 and growing at this rate it would be about 8 years before a new hire could go to NWA

isn't it 9 slots a month from XJ to NW? if that is the case 108 a year is not that much movement. I know your seniority list is around 800 and growing at this rate it would be about 8 years before a new hire could go to NWA

Absolutely true, however, that's a lot of movement for Mesaba! And also, you have to add on the guys that go to Continental, Southwest (whenever they gear up again) FedEx, UPS, etc etc.

Also, I'm guessing plenty of the most senior guys will bypass NWA. That's a permanent bypass, and it won't stall the others from moving. In other words, they'll already have stated they don't want to go, and the flow will automatically skip them.

However, yes, it still will be several years for a new hire to flow up.

Talked to a guy who was offered an interview this next week. H.R. told him that they would be hiring street cpts into both the Saab and the jet. Think there's any truth to this?

Talked to a guy who was offered an interview this next week. H.R. told him that they would be hiring street cpts into both the Saab and the jet. Think there's any truth to this?

They can't hire a single street Captain if there is a qualified pilot at Mesaba that wants the position. That being said, I think there are plenty of SAAB Captains that will move to the jets. The street Captains will all go to the SAAB for some time.

Yeah, most of the first 150 at XJ will stay at XJ. Its a formula of a return of investment to go to NWA. If you are a jet capt at XJ making nearly a 100k a year (ten year guy or gal) to go to NWA would mean about 10 years to make back the money you would lose taking the pay cut to be an FO at NWA. So many will not go. So you figure that, and 9 a month and the attrition to other airlines, losing 20 a month is good movement while adding planes and such. Even if it takes 4-6 years to get to NWA, you would have the opportunity to be a quick Saab captain, or even a jet captain quickly and have a good QOL while you wait for a position at a major with no interview......there you have it.

r u sure?

They can't hire a single street Captain if there is a qualified pilot at Mesaba that wants the position. That being said, I think there are plenty of SAAB Captains that will move to the jets. The street Captains will all go to the SAAB for some time.
I would check the contract.

Either way, it is what it is. Getting in now is good.
Don't expect to be flying for NWA for another 10 years though. The cycle will be over before a new hire's number comes up. At best you will be relatively senior at XJ for a while.

Good luck and fly safe.

Don't worry, it's in the contract. The only thing that would prevent Saab Captains from becoming Jet Captains is a seat lock, and the contract states that seat locks must be lifted as necessary to prevent the hiring of a street Captain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back