• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Big Announcement on Friday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I lost another bet to the wife. She told me last week that we would be lucky to hear anything by Friday.....Friday the 11th.

My guess now is that whatever the MEC is speaking about will fall through just like everything else Mesaba has pursued. A year from now we still won't know what this was all about due to the gag order.

I have always wondered, of all the big plans that this management team has put out over the years, the only one that panned out was the Big Sky purchase. The shareholders should revolt on that alone.

Last edited:
But they never treated the BigSky deal with such secrecy. I'm also beginning to give up on hearing anything, anytime soon. It was just too good to be true to get some good news around here. Next thing you know they'll just award PNCL 61 more planes. Why 139? Let's go for a nice round numer 200!

FO

flap operator said:
FLY - maybe you're thinking of BigSky. Mesaba and BigSky have the same parent company, MAIR HOldings.

That was it. Thanks for the correction. No correlation with SkyWest.

Seriously what the he|| is going on around here?!?!? What could possibly take a week of marathon negotiation sessions?

I am getting some serious frustration going over this whole thing. Anyone have any more ideas on how to find some more info???

Do we really know if there have been marathon negotiations? We're having LEC meetings this week, so how can they be in two places at once? I was under the impression that they met last week and that was it. Now we're playing the waiting game.

I've all but given up expecting something. Thank goodness I get to go to work tomorrow to try and forget about it!! Yea... right.

FO

Nothing new to report....

But why in the hell would this be taking so long? I can't imagine a scenario involving just XJ and XJ ALPA that would require negotiations that are this long and this hush-hush.

I'm assuming the gag order is because it could have SEC implications. I'm also assuming if "most will like it, some won't" that it involves a pay freeze to get new planes and/or a seniority shift.

In any case, I grow less excited by the day and a lot more nervous. Somehow I think this whole deal is going to turn into a giant turd in the punchbowl.

Don't forget a 2 year contract extension.

Add that to just under 4 years left in our existing contract, with another 2+ years of contract negotiations.............

Mel Sharples said:
Nothing new to report....

I'm assuming the gag order is because it could have SEC implications.

Or business information or plans they do not want competitiors to know about. BTW, it's a confidentiality agreement, not a gag order. Sort of "we'll give you early info on an item so you can act on it, but we don't want our competitors to know yet". Don't forget these agreements are voluntary - don't agree and you won't get the info.

Many MEC's have been working with thses restrictions for years, and it has always been the topic of conspiracy theory, accusations of under the table deals, and other speculation.

Generally it is to an MEC's advantage. Do you want to be reacting to a business event when you read it about in the paper? The flip side is MEC's that don't use this provisions then get slammed for not being ahead of events.

Latest resources

Back