MaxBlast feeling the LUV!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stalking you? Get over yourself.

Eight years can be considered a neurotic grudge about something as insignificant as an avatar.

Isn't name calling something more of a grade school mentality? Sure it is.

I may have your name wrong, but the SWA people certainly do not.

Good luck staying on the outside.

I see your sense of humor hasn't improved any.

Sucks to be you. :laugh:

Last edited:
Oddly enough I don't perceive posters like Ty, Dicko, Lear70 (in the day), Freightdog, dc9Capt etc as particularily anti-SWA, just very pro-AAI...which was a great airline, but as we all know that is why it was purchased by SWA...the fumbling of the integration by AAI/ALPA and SWAPA is just a fall-out of mgmts desire to get the ISL ironed out sans arbitration, which was a homerun for the company (could you imagine if we were still dealing with an arbitrated solution, ala USAIR/AMWest on TOP of trying to do everything else)... there will always be a subset of pilots who feel that they were treated unfairly...on both sides...I say we are all just numbers on a list subject to the decisions of mgmt, but on the flip side we enjoy one of the best UNION jobs in America...we are all very fortunate to work at a strong company...

Last edited:
Yes we do. Show me your math to get those numbers, Ty.....oh, and using "our ALPA Sec-Tres said so" won't cut it, BTW.

Then I'll show you my math that would seem to indicate otherwise. (Hint: Rates tell only half the story when determining actual pay)

Based on the numbers I'm looking at I don't think the average Joe AT CA who bids a line and flies it is going to take anything anywhere near a 30% pay reduction if they fly the same number of days as a SW FO. The senior CA's will get hurt the most and the CA's on reserve will probably do better.

I think in too many cases the guys who are doing a lot of extra and premium flying at AT are comparing their W2's to either guarantee or a normal line with no extra days picked up at SW. You can't compare 18 days off with 14 or 15 and call that a fair comparison. Look at a CA 50% up the AT CA list who bids a line and flies it as bid compared to that same pilot as a SW FO flying the same number of days.

Don't get me wrong, I think the AT CA's should have had their rates protected at the greater of AT CA or SW FO so nobody loses money and I hate to see anybody on either side have to lose their base but when it comes to what the typical pilot gets paid there is a lot of bad information.

AAI CA --> SWA FO = $30K pay CUT

AAI FO --> SWA FO = $30K pay RAISE (or more)

I'm not sure who is taking a 30k pay cut. Is that number based on comparing 15 year AT CA to 12 year SWA FO? Maybe on paper that works out. It's hard to get a straight answer from anyone on this, because some senior AT guys are killing it while others are more straight time flyers. Since I hadn't bothered to figure it out I compared my last two most similar months at the two companies (12 year longevity, couple months senior to Ty ;)).

March 2013 AT 737 Capt ($168.16 hr)
88.5 credit hours
15 days off (31 day month)
Take home: $ 9,445.72

August 2013 SWA 737 FO ($132.50 hr)
99.95 TFP
17 Days off (31 day month)
Take home: $ 8,735.35

$ 710.17 monthly difference, everything straight time. If I converted my two 3 day trips to 4 day trips, resulting in 15 days off, I would take home more. This includes 11% 401k withholding, wife plus kid on medical and the standard mutual aid stuff. Because I no longer commute I gained about two full days off monthly back. Plus no more hotels. I'm not disputing anyone's math. I just want to give the folks who are transitioning some real numbers.

I'm not sure who is taking a 30k pay cut. Is that number based on comparing 15 year AT CA to 12 year SWA FO? Maybe on paper that works out. It's hard to get a straight answer from anyone on this, because some senior AT guys are killing it while others are more straight time flyers. Since I hadn't bothered to figure it out I compared my last two most similar months at the two companies (12 year longevity, couple months senior to Ty ;)).

March 2013 AT 737 Capt ($168.16 hr)
88.5 credit hours
15 days off (31 day month)
Take home: $ 9,445.72

August 2013 SWA 737 FO ($132.50 hr)
99.95 TFP
17 Days off (31 day month)
Take home: $ 8,735.35

$ 710.17 monthly difference, everything straight time. If I converted my two 3 day trips to 4 day trips, resulting in 15 days off, I would take home more. This includes 11% 401k withholding, wife plus kid on medical and the standard mutual aid stuff. Because I no longer commute I gained about two full days off monthly back. Plus no more hotels. I'm not disputing anyone's math. I just want to give the folks who are transitioning some real numbers.

Therein seems to be the difference for many.

The exception to this will be the guys who live in a SWA base, and will no longer commute, and can pick up premium trips, but that is not the case for most of us.

My easy commute (1 hour) to a commutable line is going to change in the opposite direction- a two-leg commute to an uncommutable line.

Not bitching, but that's the reality of it.

Regds,
Ty

Last edited:
I bet you get way more premium than I do commuting. The guys who average 150 TFP travel the system to get it (at our seniority). Won't Panama City to a HOU commute work for you (one leg, non stop). Look at the trips too, when you come over. Sometimes you can give a turn away and make uncommutable.. commutable.

As former DFW commuter, I know exactly what your facing. I made the necessary adjustments and made it work (different airlines, airports). I still look outside of my base for good opportunities.

Last edited:
Won't Panama City to a HOU commute work for you (one leg, non stop).

Nah . . . That's a 3+ hour drive to a 2 hour flight.

Most guys in the Panhandle are driving 3 hrs to MSY and then catching a 1 hour flight to HOU. Still pretty lousy way to start and end a trip.

Glad it's working out for you . . . . you DFW former-commuters deserve it, after what you went through.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back