Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No slam taken, but you need to research the truth:

PHX: KONA on HI 31 Mar rtn 12 Apr RT coach $1150ish, Business $1,870

Delta, same dates and destination: Economy RT $1450, Business class $3,700 And they use HI as interisland transfer.

Not an LCC? Think again.

Hawaiian averages higher fares than any other airline. That came from an investor presentation by the company. You can't hardly expect comparing one day says anything. Fares fluctuate more than my first wife's moods.
Hawaiian attracts it's customers primarily because the are "Hawaiian". Not because they are perceived as being a low cost ticket.

Hawaiian Airlines

(Operated by Southwest Airlines)

Where would you be Dan?

I'd be retired! :beer:
Actually, SWA simply couldn't do what they did to AirTran in Hawaii and still conduct business here. It simply wouldn't work. Hawaii is an island (surprise!). If someone tries to bust there way in arrogantly they get hammered down. Doesn't matter if it's an individual, small business or big business. SWA simply could not pull that crap (like what you did to AirTran) here and ever feel comfortable here. For one thing, your threat to operate us separately, like you did with AirTran, would be considered a good thing!
Anyway, you know me, I could go on and on here, the reality is it really isn't going to happen. Even if we started to go into merger play, it appears more and more likely that the DOJ probably wouldn't allow Hawaiian to disappear number one, and number two, I doubt DAL, UAL or AA would stand by and let SWA buy into being the largest carrier in Hawaii.

Just look at the SWA rates because I am sure they will snap up to that after the acquisition.

Why aim low? Am I the only pilot who thinks an A321 should pay more than a B737? Pilot groups, mine included, keep giving up productivety (flying more ASMs) for the same or less money.

Dan-
So that begs the question-
Would you rather be bought by a big 3 or SWA?
You have only those choices in this hypothetical :)

Dan-
This Hawaiian pilot would rather be bought by one of the big three than SWA any day of the week. Preferably Delta. But what I really want is to stay independent and I think that is what it will be.

Dan-

I agree with Jim, for sure Delta. That said, it's not meant as any disrespect to SWA. Great airline, but a merger with SWA would offer less opportunity than a merger with Delta and a lot more conflict.
That said, a merger with anyone would be a big step down for us. Most of us at Hawaiian work here because we like the lifestyle it provides, living in Hawaii and schedules that would be very senior at any other airline.

Dan-

I reject your reality, and replace it with mine. ;) And my answer is none of the above. I've been through the beginning stages of a merger (AWA/US) and don't want to repeat it. Dan has said on many occasions that anyone buying HA wouldn't get any benefit from it because what makes us special (and profitable) would disappear if we merged, negating the reason for merging in the first place. I agree fully with that idea. And really, why does it have to be the big three and NO other airlines left? In reality, it will be the big three, with several smaller niche carriers too. HA will be one of those smaller carriers.

As for choosing between one of the majors or SWA? Four equal piles of $&#@ is not a choice I want to make. :D

HAL

Fair enough fellas
:)

Here's to no more acquisitions- seems employees never get the best end of the deals

Fair enough fellas
:)

Here's to no more acquisitions- seems employees never get the best end of the deals

The history of mergers is full of a lot more failures than successes. Usually they are a precursor to a downfall. Piedmont/USAir, PamAm/ National, etc etc. most mergers make a few people money at the expense of the employees. They are done for one reason and one reason only, an attempt to increase shareholder value. The Hawaiian employees are very aware of this and anybody that tried to destroy what they have built would get a hell of fight and open a Pandora's box of unanticipated problems.

BTW the jury is still out on SWA/AirTran....but if SWA actually did, as far fetched as it sounds, try to merge with Hawaiian it would probably destroy them, or at least put them in the category of PanAm/ National, TWA/Ozark or USAir.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back