Look before you leap, NJASAP!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Captain Dad,

Please do not give out wrong information!

The current authorization card drive will not change the representation status of the NetJets pilots! The current drive is meant to indicate to the NMB that the NetJets pilots want a representation vote!

Once the NMB certifies that 50% + 1 pilot have sent in a card, it will call for a new representation polling. During this polling the NetJets pilots will have the opportunity to vote for their choice of representation. This polling is the one that MUST have at least 50% + 1 vote participation for representation by either IBT, NJASAP, or any other body to ensure representation after the conclusion of the polling!

Is a high participation in the card drive important? I believe it is! However, we do not risk loss of representation with a low card drive turnout!

IDEtoNJA

Sorry I just read my own post and see how that was implied. I didn't mean to. The card drive is what will start everything.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when it comes time to vote, an absence of a vote will equal a NO VOTE to any union.

That is the point I was trying to convey.

Last edited:
If SWAPA or other independent unions have made any impact as great as the ALPA's on public policy, I am not aware of it. Educate me.

Mooneymite,

Who spearheaded the movement that concluded with the "Whitlow Letter?" The letter was addressed to Captain Richard Rubin of the Allied Pilots Association! Not ALPA!

Who spearheaded the "Reserve Rest" requirements? One of the first correspondences that I could find about this issue was initiated by one of NetJets's own pilots! Not ALPA!

ALPA has done its fair share of enhancing the safety of our profession. However, ALPA is not alone. And, sometimes ALPA supported a loosing endeavor.

IDEtoNJA

Sorry I just read my own post and see how that was implied. I didn't mean to.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when it comes time to vote, an absence of a vote will equal a NO VOTE to any union.

That is the point I was trying to convey.

Captain Dad,

You are correct with the above assertion!

Once the polling is in progress, the absence of a vote will equal to a VOTE FOR NO REPRESENTATION of the NetJets pilot group!

Therefore and once the polling is in progress, every NetJets pilot that wants to keep representation needs to cast a vote. Whether it is for NJASAP, IBT, ALPA, or any other representative body!

IDEtoNJA

What if it is a split vote say 33.3 % ALPA, 33.3% IBT and 33.3% NJASAP. Then what?

Just playing devil's advocate to get the word out.

Mooneymite,

Who spearheaded the movement that concluded with the "Whitlow Letter?" The letter was addressed to Captain Richard Rubin of the Allied Pilots Association! Not ALPA!

Who spearheaded the "Reserve Rest" requirements? One of the first correspondences that I could find about this issue was initiated by one of NetJets's own pilots! Not ALPA!

ALPA has done its fair share of enhancing the safety of our profession. However, ALPA is not alone. And, sometimes ALPA supported a loosing endeavor.

IDEtoNJA

Good post. You are correct that in both these issues, the impetus came from outside ALPA.

However, I would point out that neither issue was resolved without the ALPA's involvement. When it comes to infulencing change, a national union will always have more clout, because (here's the cynic in me!), it has more money.

I think the age 60 ruling was a perfect example of why independents are NOT potent in the area of public policy/law. As I watched the age 60 rule unfold, SWAPA was totally powerless until ALPA got involved.

Funny how two people can see the same event and come away with such different views!

I guess that's what keeps Flightinfo.com a lively place.

True ain't America great.

I went back and looked through some old email, i had sent CA prater an email regarding my objection to his Blue ribbon panel (that's an entirely different can of worms) to re-examine ALPA's view of age 60 even though the entire membership had voted just a few months earlier to oppose it. He replied something to the effect of the train is already leaving the station. He gave the impression that the change was a foregone conclusion and he wanted ALPA to have a say in it. IE- stay relevant. In my opinion ALPA didn't change their opinion until after SWAPA had done all the work and it appeared to be paying off.

And organized pilots needs money. Money that they contributed being spent on their interests. ...I think the time is definitely right for 1108 to break away from the IBT and eliminate the conflict of interest that clearly exists between IBT national and 1108 (user fees for one). ...I suspect that NJASAP may be just the first local of a national fractional union built by and for pilots. BTW, any change in status of one particular group of 300 or so pilots would go down MUCH easier with IBT out of the picture.

Well said, GSD! The visionary leaders of NJASAP are surely aware of their NJ counterparts' sentiments regarding representation. I know the topic has been discussed at my house and the importance of the timing was noted. It seems the dust hadn't even settled from IBB when the NJASAP pilots began planning for the future....;)

I know the topic has been discussed at my house and the importance of the timing was noted. It seems the dust hadn't even settled from IBB when the NJASAP pilots began planning for the future....;)

And how would that happen?

;)

Good post. You are correct that in both these issues, the impetus came from outside ALPA.

However, I would point out that neither issue was resolved without the ALPA's involvement. When it comes to infulencing change, a national union will always have more clout, because (here's the cynic in me!), it has more money.

Mooneymite,

Please browse the correspondence related to the "Reserve Rest" provisions published ALPA's own web site -- http://cf.alpa.org/internet/projects/ftdt/examples/summary.html. Browsing through said correspondence lead me to believe that ALPA's national legal department was awfully silent on the matter!

The interpretive decision letter that changed the "Reserve Rest" provisions was addressed to one Captain Rich Rubin. As far as I know, not a member of ALPA. Same as the "Whitlow Letter!"

I will agree with you that a national union has greater influence and clout with policy makers. However, the question is whether these national unions have the best interests of the workers in mind. It is my opinion that in this day and age neither the IBT, nor, ALPA acts in the best interest of the pilots they represent.

IDEtoNJA

GG, by staying involved and following along as events unfold. I can learn a lot just watching my husband work at home...:p

I think the enthusiasm surrounding NJASAP reflects reliable indicator$ of interest and intent from the NJA pilotgroup. Those of us in the pilotgroup watching for result$ from the NJASAP mailer are pleased with the return$.

IDE, excellent point! Nice to see you posting...:) I do believe the NJA pilots can trust the insight their leaders have gained from trying to affect change within the National structure--to no avail. The recent resignations have sent a clear signal that it's time to move out.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back