• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LEX Comair Crew on a nap/cdo/

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just because it was a 28 hour layover in the bid packet doesn't mean that the trip wasn't modified. How many times have crew members been displaced? Note the New York and Cincinnati bases of the crew All could not have been possibly been flying the original trip and been from different bases. Let's see what is released later about their actual schedules.

Last edited:
asmn said:
Just because it was a 28 hour layover in the bid packet doesn't mean that the trip wasn't modified. How many times have crew members been displaced? Note the New York and Cincinnati bases of the crew All could not have been possibly been flying the original trip and been from different bases. Let's see what is released later about their actual schedules.

I think a pilot wrote on the Comair ALPA board that the FO and FA came to LEX with him at 0140 Saturday morning, for about a 26 hour layover. And, I thought a dispatcher wrote on one of these threads that the CA deadheaded in at about 1300 on Saturday, for 13 hours.

Haven't seen anything official yet.

get This Thread Back On Track Please.....this Is No Place For Personal Attacks...use The Pm Feature For That.

This thread shouldn't exsist in the first place. As pilots, we all know the harm that speculation can cause. Till the facts are in, there is nothing to discuss. Tune out the media BS.

I think fatigue is a much bigger issue here than realized. If they got in late Friday, I know i can't just get into the hotel and fall over asleep. I need some time to wind down, so they probably got to bed well after midnight. The next day, Saturday, They probably woke up around 9 or 10. I don't know about you, but I can't 8 hours of sleep the next night. Maybe 5 if I am lucky. Because i've learned that if i try to force myself to bed at 7 pm, I end up just starting at the smoke detector light on the ceiling and tossing and turning until about 11 or 12, my normal bedtime. These guys probably had to get up in the 4's for a 5 or 5:15 show time. Dumbass things happen when you are groggy. Maybe scheduling flights in the wee hours of the morning isn't a great idea? Of course the companies wouldn't fix that, only the feds could regulate it and I have little faith in that happening.

Per the bid packet, they arrived Fri night, for almost a 28 hour layover.

They weren't necessarily flying a trip from the bid packet. The CA was on reserve. The FO and FA were displaced lineholders, translation: reserves, on a totally different trip than the original. Maybe the dispatcher/scheduler above has specific info about their trip, maybe not, but should not be discussing it here.

What the hell.....................

At least half a dozen neighbors said they did not know much about the 6-foot-two pilot who worked for Delta Airlines. Records show he received an airline transport pilot certificate in November 2005.
David Norris, who lives next door, said Polehinke had three or four small dogs. Norris also believes he was divorced from his wife, Ida. Florida records do not show the couple had divorced.
Ida Askew, 51, was arrested and charged with attempted murder in July 1999 after she shot Polehinke in the stomach with a handgun while the couple was arguing, police records show.
Askew did not return calls Sunday.
Most of the time, neighbors saw Polehinke drive off in his red Mazda Miata. Once in a while, they would see him working in his yard, they said. They rejoiced that he survived the crash, which authorities said claimed the lives of 49 people.
"I'm happy to hear he's alive," said Kareem Bandele, who lives across the street from Polehinke's home.

Is Bunny....... Mary Schiavo in disguise?

BoilerUP said:
Yeah, I'd say so.

Are you deliberately understating your qualifications in an attempt to get rises out of people who think you some punk CFI spouting flamebait, or are you actively working in a 121 environment? Your perspective and its credibility are, for better or worse, tied to what you have done and what you are currently doing.

While many of your points are valid, your delivery is crass (and that is giving you a free pass on a few snide comments).

I think so!!!!

Also hold off all judgement until ALL of the facts are in.

My deepest sympathy to all the families involved in this tragic event.

Icelandair said:
I think fatigue is a much bigger issue here than realized. If they got in late Friday, I know i can't just get into the hotel and fall over asleep. I need some time to wind down, so they probably got to bed well after midnight. The next day, Saturday, They probably woke up around 9 or 10. I don't know about you, but I can't 8 hours of sleep the next night. Maybe 5 if I am lucky. Because i've learned that if i try to force myself to bed at 7 pm, I end up just starting at the smoke detector light on the ceiling and tossing and turning until about 11 or 12, my normal bedtime. These guys probably had to get up in the 4's for a 5 or 5:15 show time. Dumbass things happen when you are groggy. Maybe scheduling flights in the wee hours of the morning isn't a great idea? Of course the companies wouldn't fix that, only the feds could regulate it and I have little faith in that happening.

How about regulating yourself?

(Please note: This is STRICTLY a response to Icelandair's scenario-question about resting...I'm treating it as a hypothetical as he's laid it out. It is NOT a comment about this accident crew or their rest. Nobody knows yet who was scheduled where, doing what, or what changes were made).

If you got in late that 1st night, and know if you sleep until "9 or 10" you won't be able to get good rest the 2nd night because your schedule is telling you you have a 4-something wake up, why would you sleep-in so late that first morning?

Why wouldn't you set an alarm that first morning and get up early so you'll be ready to sleep by evening and get a good night's rest before you fly? Especially if you can't personally function on 5 hours of sleep and need 8.

What is "normal bedtime"? Even on reserve it's part of the job to adjust your sleep to scheduled rest no matter what they do with you. Nobody's out there doing "rolling-reserve" are they?

Hey, there's not ever been a flight I've had to wake up at 0330 or thereabouts for and thought it was a "good idea". There's only a couple things I want to be doing at that hour. One of those things is not being awake, and the other thing doesn't involve airplanes, or even leaving the room.

But...

Ours is a chosen profession, and early mornings and flying have been going together since Dawn Patrol. That will never change, they'll never regulate it away, and there's no reason they should assuming rest is provided for.

Besides, if they began to regulate things away merely because they sucked, they should begin with WSCoDs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back