LEX Comair Crew on a nap/cdo/

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pipi said:
CNN just said the crew was on a nap. They arrived in LEX at 12:06 AM last night, from ATL, for a 06:00 AM departure this morning. That would have given them four hours of sleep, tops.
If this is correct information, I hope it puts lots of presure on the FAA to come down on the airlines for such disregard for safety.

CDOs are legal. I did them for two years at ACA. You're considered on break and it's the same as flying the backside of the clock. They can be brutal if one doesn't prepare for them. I always used to take a nap during the day.

atrdriver said:
Which is just ANOTHER reason to have ANY jumpseater sitting up front whenever possible. They are another set of eyes, and even if they are not familiar with the aircraft, they can still see traffic, hear the radio, and see the overall enviroment.

No they're not. They're a menace to aviation. Free rides. I know this b/c I heard a passenger say this, and the TSA thinks so too. (I'm being sarcastic)

My thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by this tragedy. May James pull through and may he get all the support he needs.

I am prayin for you buddy!!

CDO's are fine if you like that sort of thing. To me they are too similar to my Night Freight days. Duty time is usually less, and the thought process is you sleep during the day. Good for those who live in Domicile. Go to work at around 8 or 9pm and home by 7 or 8 am. Many bid them because of the commutability and then veg in the crew room all day. Many CDO lines actually can have up to 8 hours in the hotel. There only unsafe if the crew can't adjust to the back side of the clock.

I don't know why I said all that. Most of you know already but I sensed a little confusion.

I worked for comair in ATW when the EMB went down in Detroit. Everyone knew Capt Carlson the Writer. That was a tough time as this is sure to be.

Thoughts and Prayers with everyone involved.

Last edited:
look at the lex taxiway diagram

Hey all, look at the difference in your Jepps and the taxiway diagram found on airnav.com (the most recent since construction). Bring this to the attention of whoever you need to. You will see that Alpha taxiway to the end of 22 is the norm, and on the new diagram Alpha will only take you to the end of 26 instead. This is scary, dangerous stuff. Fly safely.

Simply put the mistake was probably made when they were told to taxi to 22 and the crew held short of 26. When given the go-ahead they turned onto 26 and TO without verifing the runway. I would bet the lights for 26 were on at the time leading to the confusion. Seems like an easy mistake , especially if you were sure the lights on that runway were out.

YourPilotFriend said:
Simply put the mistake was probably made when they were told to taxi to 22 and the crew held short of 26. When given the go-ahead they turned onto 26 and TO without verifing the runway. I would bet the lights for 26 were on at the time leading to the confusion. Seems like an easy mistake , especially if you were sure the lights on that runway were out.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe runway 26 was unlit at the time.

VABB said:
If I'm not mistaken, I believe runway 26 was unlit at the time.

This keeps coming up! It was SUPPOSED to be unlit, but the talking heads at the scene kept dodging the question as to whether they were ACTUALLY off, didn't they?

26 was supposed to be notamed unlit but it was lit up and rwy 22 had many lights inoperative. To add, the taxi charts were not concomitant with the environment of the airport post runway resurfacing/ at the time of departure for comair.

AVI8V1 said:
26 was supposed to be notamed unlit but it was lit up and rwy 22 had many lights inoperative. To add, the taxi charts were not concomitant with the environment of the airport post runway resurfacing/ at the time of departure for comair.

So in other words, all of you holier-than-thou types who want to point fingers at the crew better just simma downa until the final report comes out. The crew was but one link in the accident chain.

Latest resources

Back