LEX Comair Crew on a nap/cdo/

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pipi

CNN just said the crew was on a nap. They arrived in LEX at 12:06 AM last night, from ATL, for a 06:00 AM departure this morning. That would have given them four hours of sleep, tops.
If this is correct information, I hope it puts lots of presure on the FAA to come down on the airlines for such disregard for safety.

pipi said:
CNN just said the crew was on a nap. They arrived in LEX at 12:06 AM last night, from ATL, for a 06:00 AM departure this morning. That would have given them four hours of sleep, tops.
If this is correct information, I hope it puts lots of presure on the FAA to come down on the airlines for such disregard for safety.
What about coast-to-coast red-eyes, or all night flights across the pond? The problem with CDOs isn't being up all night, but having schedules that have you switching from one side of the clock to the other and back without time to get adjusted. Like when you're on reserve or have a built-up line. The company's response of "it's your responsibility to be rested" does no good when you don't know what to be rested for.

if this thread is true

If this is true, was this crew on a 2-3-4 or 5 day trip, got extended? Does comair not have a day/night transition clause? Wowsers! Thoughts and prayers. Maybe we should all quiet down on this board for awhile until ALL available facts are determined, this is huge if its some sort of reduced rest, legal to start legal to finish type of thing.

Comair does not have CD lines from ATL. I have never seen any CD's ever flown from ATL i'm not even sure its legal. CNN is talking through their A$$ as always...

What you failed to hear on the news is the PLANE arrived last night from ATL. They discussed naps, believe me, it was NOT a nap/CD.

Per the bid packet, they arrived Fri night, for almost a 28 hour layover.

Don't rail on the media too much. They have a TV camera, you have a web board. After reading some of the posts, I am not sure who is worse.

>Best wishes to friends and families

first 24 hours

Lets pray the FO makes it through the first 24 hours, from my meager medical knowledge I believe this is the critical timeframe for this guy to pull through.
Thoughts and Prayers.

pipi said:

I saw the same thing. I immediately changed channels. The guy was just speculating and was doing a very poor job of it. The simple fact is, Comair doesn't do CDO's, naps, stand-ups, high-speeds etc (whatever you call them) out of ATL because they don't have a crew base there!!! Once you get back to base from the morning leg you are off duty until that night when you check in again for the last flight out (most likely). No Comair CDO's out of ATL.

They had a 28 hour overnight eh? thanks for the update. There goes the FAR fatigue issue right there.

Also, the so called expert ex USAir pilot said they had a cockpit jumpseater and they might have been distracted. I heard the jumpseater was an Airtran guy getting to work. The plane had 3 empty seats so the jumpseater would have been sitting in the back. I am sure of this because Airtran doesn't have CASS up and running yet.

There is a lot of inaccurate speculation about this crash, [SIZE=-1]Paul Czysz, an airframe engineer, has been all over the press saying horrible things about the crew.[/SIZE]

If the crew made a mistake, which we do not know yet, then what effect do you think Delta's handling of Comair in general and the RFP in specific has had on morale? Is the potential of losing one's job a distraction in itself? I submit to you the answer, sadly, is "yes."

I agree with fins, if anyone thinks the possibility of a furlough isn't a distraction, or a constant topic of discussion, even at 6 am, then they haven't been there. Human factors! Anything can happen when you have something like that hanging over you, never mind what REALLY happened here. Let's leave it to the NTSB.

Latest resources

Back