• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legacy Bashfest - Bring it on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
8 Frickin' pages, and the only pertinent point was brought up on page one, and all but ignored: who CARES?? I've got a couple thousand hours in the WHISCOD, and I guess it's ok. It hasn't killed me yet, and that I like very much. Otherwise... whatever. It's a jet. Obviously it can't be compared to a Gulfstream, but... Legacy Driver, I just don't understand the fanatical devotion. It's just a JOB, dude! I mean, if you hit the lottery tomorrow, would you continue to fly this thing? We have a flight attendant that tells people it was built in a hollow tree by the Keebler elves - and the pax find that so funny because it's halfway believable (not to mention halfway true!). Really, I just don't get the point of the debate. If we were engineers, I guess I could see it. But from a pilot standpoint... a long tube, big fans, and video games. The end.

Now, if y'all want to debate the relative merits of some aircraft with soul, that I could understand. Stearman vs. Waco? Super Cub vs. Husky? Beaver vs.... ah, well, that one's not fair, there's just no comparisons...

Lighten UP! Fly your tube, then go HOME, and enjoy real life!

Stearmandriver said:
Now, if y'all want to debate the relative merits of some aircraft with soul, that I could understand. Stearman vs. Waco? Super Cub vs. Husky? Beaver vs.... ah, well, that one's not fair, there's just no comparisons...
Wacos rule!

Reliability

Don't know much about the Legacy except what my regional friends tell me, but...

Our GIV has 8000 hours and 5100 landings on it...flies 700+ hours per year...that's abuse...not quite what it was built to do, but we haven't had to cancel a trip for mx in two years...

that says something about Gulfstream reliability and durability...

Silver Wings said:
I seem to recall a certain government Falcon becoming exactly that ! Bodies and parts thereof all over the cabin , aircraft porpoising about the heavens....... Hmmm.......
Back to the facts....ain't nobody ever been hurt by a legacy /ERJ except a few of youse guys ego's......
EVERY Falcon 900 ever built is still flying... Including this one which incurred some VERY high G loads and rapid onset and occillations which was enough to kill all the passengers that weren't tied down (pilot error)...

Even the Falcon in this accident was repaired and is still flying (again a pilot error accident, landed with a 30 knot tailwind on a snow covered runway)
'It was a miracle'
[size=-1]Jet skids off runway into Hyannis shopping center; no one hurt[/size]

[size=-1]By LORI A. NOLIN
and K.C. MYERS[/size]
[size=-1]STAFF WRITERS[/size]
HYANNIS - A turbojet aircraft carrying four people skidded off a Barnstable Municipal Airport runway while attempting to land last night, crashed through a fence, crossed Route 28 and stopped in the middle of TJ Maxx Plaza.
No one on the plane or on the ground was injured.

[size=-1]Similar accident in 1989: On Jan. 20, 1989, a Dassault-Breguet Falcon 900 carrying four persons skidded off a snow- and slush-covered runway in South Bend, Ind. No one aboard was injured.

An investigation showed the plane's reverse-thrust mechanism, which is key to slowing the aircraft after landing, had failed to engage and the plane was propelled down the runway by the forward thrusting engine.

An investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board showed the failure was due to a manufacturing or design problem. The agency issued two mandatory service bulletins in 1989 calling for repair of the reverse-thrust mechanism.

[/size]The plane, bound from LaGuardia Airport in New York, was attempting to land shortly after 6 p.m. It carried a chain-link fence across Route 28. Police said the aircraft did not hit any cars on the busy highway, although the uprooted fencing did hit an undetermined number of cars.

The plane was attempting to land in the midst of a storm that had dumped snow and sleet on Cape Cod all day. The wind at the time of the accident was from the north-northeast with gusts of more than 30 mph.

"It was just too slippery," said Jay Logan, a flight mechanic and engineer who was on board the plane. "We couldn't stop. It slid off the runway and went through the fence. It didn't hit anybody; we were very fortunate. It was touchdown and there was no braking; it was poor."

Richard Bunker of the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission said weather may have been a factor, but said he could provide no specifics until the National Transportation Safety Board starts an investigation today.

Bunker said he could not provide information on the condition of the runway at the time of the crash.

The plane will probably be towed today, Bunker said. An environmental cleanup company is working to contain several hundred gallons of jet fuel spilled in the parking lot, Bunker said.

The airport remained closed last night after the accident.

Shivering, Logan sipped black coffee inside Osco Drug while police spoke with the pilot outside.

Logan, from Chicago, said the plane had just arrived from LaGuardia, where he, two other crew members and a passenger had been on business. He declined to give details of the business.

"Your weather is worse than it was there (in New York)," he said. "It was clean when we left." He said the crew was returning its passenger to Hyannis where the man lives with his family. "Our main concern was our passenger, and he's fine," said Logan.

[size=-1]A Falcon jet rests in the TJ Maxx Plaza parking lot last night in Hyannis after sliding through a fence surrounding Barnstable Municipal Airport. The accident caused the plane's wings to partially collapse. [/size]
[font=arial, helvetica](Staff photo by Vincent DeWitt) [/font]

Logan said he was on the telephone arranging ground transportation for the passenger when the incident happened. From inside, he said, he did not hear the noises witnesses described as "heinous" from the ground.

The plane, a Dassault Mystere Falcon 900B, is owned by 200 PS Aircraft Holdings Inc., according to Federal Aviation Administration records. It has three turbojet engines and can carry 12 people. They are generally privately owned corporate planes.

The area along Route 28, bustling with numerous shops and restaurants, is known to be very busy even on its slowest days. Last night, the parking lot was filled with cars, shoppers and the nearly 18-ton plane in the middle.

Diners ran from restaurants and employees emerged from stores, surrounding the plane, while traffic flowed through the parking lot, on Barnstable Road and on Route 28.

"This is just chaos," one Barnstable police officer said,

Mike Simpson, 24, on leave from the Navy and visiting from Connecticut, said the flying fence just missed his car. "I slammed on my brakes and the last piece of fencing went along the front of my car - it's a rental car," he said. "I immediately pulled over, popped my trunk and grabbed my medic bag. That's when I saw the fuel leaking."

Like many at the scene, Simpson said he was just waiting for an explosion as the smell of jet fuel grew stronger.

"Thank God there were no sparks or anything," he said.

Simpson immediately began ushering people away from the scene and helped evacuate nearby Mitchell's Steakhouse in the middle of a Saint Patrick's Day party.

Helen Flint, Mitchell's hostess, said the restaurant was almost full of patrons enjoying corned beef and cabbage, lamb Wellington and shepherd's pie. Fearing an explosion, firefighters asked everyone to leave because of jet fuel flowing into a drain that leads to the restaurant.

"It's a killer," she said. "This was a really big night for us. It's one of our biggest nights of the year."

At Strawberries Music, employees and a customer watched as the store windows bowed in from the force of the wind as the plane came to a stop.

Kerri Leboeuf, 20, a store employee, said she is so used to planes flying overhead she usually tunes them out.

The sounds last night, she said, were louder and had an eerie kind of echo. "I thought the plane landed on us, so I kept looking up, " she said.

William and Sylvia King of Bridgewater said they were driving toward the Hyannis rotary when the sound of a plane landing became extremely loud.

"The plane was coming up along side of us, and then my wife screamed, 'It's coming right at us,'" said William King, 75.

King said he swerved into the Staples parking lot near Osco Drug, but not before a chain-link fence the plane was dragging struck the side of the couple's Camry.

The metal ripped the side of the car, taking off a side mirror. Sylvia King said the fence also struck the top of the car in front of them.

The police reported no injuries from the accident itself.

William King was later taken to Cape Cod Hospital, complaining of stress and high blood pressure.

"The plane crossed right in front us," King said. "Traffic was so bad. Do you know how close we came to death?"

Route 28 and several connecting roads were closed because of the fuel spill.

Bunker said it is possible the plane also damaged radio beacons on the airport property, but added that possibility was still being investigated.

Falcon Capt said:
Uh, the crew on one of the accidents stated that they weren't even aware the tail broke, stated that no unusal landing forces were noted... EMB later added strengthening and stiffing to the aft fuselage...

To be fair, that crew had a tail strike in the ERJ-145. I don't know of any aircraft that wouldn't snap a few stringers or buckle the tail after smacking their tail on the runway with some severe G loads.

Silver Wings said:
ERJ's/Legacy have just about 6 million hours to date.....and zero injuries/deaths associated with the aircraft.........

There were injuries in the COEX Beaumont crash.

I've never flown a Falcon but I believe they are built like brick $hithouses(not $hitcans...)

We did have a cancellation today. The IV was all cranked up and trying to beat me out of Signature EWR so he could slow down to .80 and pi$$ off my owner. He drops the door and starts waving his cellphone to us. We call him up and he has a nosewheel controller failure.

His pax come to our airplane. Gulfstream puts a part and a mech on the G100 and he should be home by now and the IV will be ready to go tomorrow morning.

That will teach the SOB to try to beat me outta the ramp! :D TC

I must put my .02 cents on this subject matter and support Falcon Capt and GVflyr. Having flown both the EMB-135/Legacy and older G-II aircraft, you cannot compare the two as far as Power, performance or reliability and quality in aircraft construction and design. The Gulfstream is superior hands down! You cannot compare the two! Its Apples and Oranges. Yes the Legacy is slightly more comfortable and is just as modern and any gulfstream except for the lack of auto-throttles. But you just cannot compare climbing at 300kts (above 10,000) to .80 all the way up to 41,000ft in any of todays gulfstreams....christ they used to be built by Grumman dude!!! You know, the company that makes F-14's!?!?!?. So LegacyDriver, we are happy that you are rock H$rd for you bird, but maybe you should stay on the porch just a little longer till you grow up.

Latest resources

Back