Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am not bitter, justwhistlin' dixie...

I disagree with having someone sponsor a pilot or recommend for SWA or for a meet/greet for FEDEX, then tell SWA or FEDEX, no thanks. Just sounds like he doesn't know himself or what he wants from life...

Combat time????

Combat time in the KC-10 and KC-135. The only people over there that should get to log combat time are the army helos who are getting shot at everyday and maybe the A10 and herc. If your above 18000 your safer than if you were in the states.

Stay at SWA. More fun and you don't have to deal with boxes. That's right, boxes don't care how they get there. And I gurantee Fedex management doesn't either. Truck or other company. The whole job security thing is ridiculous. Fedex has a large bet with international business, especially China. Ever heard of outsourcing. Again, boxes don't care.

So I guess the job security is poor at FedEx but great at SWA? As far as outsourcing, didn't we have a conversation about this before?

Rather than retype, I've attached the link below.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showpost.php?p=1103895&postcount=78

Speaking of FedEx management not caring how the boxes get there, can you explain why on our latest TA the company went from having FedEx line pilots flying our express freight only to now flying our express freight and our charter freight? Thats right, the company has EXPANDED the scope of our flying and the thing is... THEY ARE THE ONES WHO WANTED IT THAT WAY!! Kind of shoots a big hole in your argument.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a man that's covering all the bases.
Know thyself, Sir ski. Whether you disagree or not is irrelevant. What do you want from life? Oh, that's right, you've already found your Shangri-La. Any "buds that hooked him up" that wouldn't understand a guy leaving for, in his estimation, a better choice ain't "buds" to begin with.
And stop sending me immature pm's about how nadly you are.

737ski...

I would personally say that anyone who KNOWS what they want before living the life just a bit is unrealistic. You dont' KNOW how you will like living out of hotel on 3 day trips or hub turning through a freight hub until you've done it a while. People come to the boards to get perspective and ideas. For whatever reason, some SWA guys act like jilted lovers if someone considers going somewhere else..."leave then d@mn ya!" or "dont' let the door hit you on the @ss", etc. These guys are doing ALL of you a favor--they are sending a signal that SWA's benefits could be better...all at no cost to you. You should say "hey bro...thanks...maybe the bean counters will factor you into the pay matrix..."

As far as sponsorship goes...I've only sponsored one guy. My spiel was "I want you to do what is best for YOU and YOUR family. I will burn green stamps to get you here, but if this ISN'T for you...follow your heart. I'm doing this for YOU...not for my company..." My loyalty is to my friends--not my company. There are enough good people out there who would kill to work at FedEx that I don't need to worry about "scewing the company over" if my bro decides to go somewhere else.

I realize a lot of SWA guys (and some guys at FedEx too...) get an almost cultish attachment to the company, and they indentify part of their persona with the organization. Here's the dirty secret...its just business. Its a business I love, and a business I am greatful to be part of...but when the market goes soft your pay IS negotiable and you CAN be furloughed or displaced...even at stalwarts like SWA and FedEx. IMHO, the smart guy loves and supports his company, but has a B and a C plan at all times. I've seen too many guys who LOVED United, Delta, or USAir on the street. Sure--our companies are "different"...but the life lesson isn't. A diverse mix of skills and talents is certainly a good thing...

You're on the right path for an Article 15 Albie. Such logical, rational nonsense. What are you thinking man!?

Dang skippy Air Force & proud of it!!. Can u say you've logged combat time, been to Afghanistan, Iraq, or flown a Congressional delegation to Africa???

Like I said he is Air Force and probably one of those guys that screwed over his buds to pick up rank, and is so proud of it that when he gets in a civilian cockpit he tries to throw his rank around like it means something...I was a Marine dude, I didn't cry to my OpsO that my Hilton hotel room was a little too cold for my liking. Try sleeping in a tent or in the Herc Hotel. Been there done that. Sounds like you missed your Geritol and are getting a little full of yourself... :puke:

I am not bitter, justwhistlin' dixie...

I disagree with having someone sponsor a pilot or recommend for SWA or for a meet/greet for FEDEX, then tell SWA or FEDEX, no thanks. Just sounds like he doesn't know himself or what he wants from life...

I agree with this in principle, but not everybody has the luxury/financial stability to wait for the one job that they want the most. In today's industry, you've got to put all of your lines out and fish as hard as you can. You'll live off the first job you get until you land the big one. I have no problem with it if you're courteous and professional about it.

At Fedex, we've got folks who have left every major, SWA, UPS, JetBlue, etc. I'm sure that we've had folks leave us for the same (post 9-11). I'm guessing the the latter has a lower occurance than the former. Not because more people want to work here, but because getting the interview is such a pain in th a$$.

I think SWA can be more vulnerable because they tend to interview people much further out(up to 12 months) and it is relatively easier to get the interview(but much tougher to survive the interview). Anyway, a guy can find himself 12 months from separation with a SWA job, then get another offer 10 months later or 20 months later. Your great corporate culture keeps this from being a problem most of the time, but there will be a few who overwhelmingly desire to go somewhere else...and if it is in their best interest then I say go for it. You've got to look out for yourself, nobody else is going to.

I don't think you can ask people to pass on these other jobs and wait for the dream job because that job may never come. If it does, then they have a decision to make...hence the thread. I don't envy his position, because either way he will be burning a bridge with a great company.

You guys have sponsors?

So a guy thinks about leaving the Canyon Blue Kool-Aid fraternity after he gets the secret handshake and the rest of the cult is up in arms. After reading the posts from the SWA guys here all I can think of is that scene from Animal House... "Thank you sir may I have another", with Herb himself dressed in a black robe and swinging away! Is that really what your basic indoc is like. Holy Smokes! And I thought Jim Jones was bad.:eek:

That is the funniest $hit ever. Scary thing is that it's true.

SWA guys/gals.....why is it that in person you all are cool as he!! but the second someone rips on SWA, you act like someone pissed on your grandfather's grave. C'mon now....it's great to love your company, I really am happy you are happy, it is a great company but geez.

Latest resources

Back