• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I decided to resign UAL seniority........agh that was one of the toughest things I have had to do...

It felt like all my 'hope' of a west coast base and the whole 'dream job' thing I thought about for 6 years just disappeared with that decision. Up until the minute I made the decision, I could've made either decision--I never came to a solid conclusion, even though I researched ad-nauseum.

The merger possibility and juniority were negative on the UAL side, and I'm 34. If my current company wasn't doing so well and I wasn't moving up the list into the 'safety zone' so fast, I would've taken UAL. I also would've taken UAL if I had been awarded DEN. I did not want to get stuck in ORD commuting on RSV should something happen, or if no more DEN vacancies came up. I am 6555, so I don't think I would have held DEN very soon.

What matters to me is not commuting, stability, days off, and life at home. I have 15 days off now with commutability. I could have more off if I figured out the dang bidding. The only real bad thing at my current company is the commuting, which isn't bad--I'm just a big baby and hate it more than most people do.

In the end, I know I would be happy at UAL, but don't want to be in that position again in the midst of a particularly unstable time. So--it's risky...

I have a lot of possibility at my current company, lots below me, but commute. I think I just need to get over the commute; as I gain seniority, it will be less of a factor.

I don't work there, but I think if I were at JB or AirTran, I would have left, even with seniority. That's just me--I do like choices of planes and what I think is stability.

Hopefully, GuppyPuppy, this helps sort out some ideas. I think that you are in the same spot I was. It's pure torture, I know. I am not sure I made the right decison--guess you'll have to ask me when I retire at 70 by then :)

One thing that I did is told people I was going back to UAL. That night, I was really worried about stability, rsv, pay, mergers, etc, and didn't sleep so well. The next day I told people I was staying at my current company. I felt way more stable but a little sad to lose the UAL option and DEN. I think that is what made my decision; I felt a little better about not going back.

Regarding the contractual raises in 1/08, 5/08 and 5/09.......

What are the rates? Is there a straight percentage increase across the board? I only recieved the rates for 5/07 in my recall package.

Is the company going to be issuing more stock to the pilots in the future?

Thanks for all the encouragement. I still don't know what to do, though. My wife and I will be having a long talk this weekend.

GP

Good luck Powda. I'm expecting my last recall here in the next few months and will turn it down. I was a late '99 hire and after two years at my latest company have better relative seniority than I ever had at UAL. I am, however, looking at commuting for the next 30 years. Domiciles come and go though. And who knows, crew bases may eventually be replaced by this virtual domicile thing we keep hearing about.

GoodTimes

Latest update

To all furloughees,

United has announced recall classes for 4 June and 9 July 2007 and has mailed to date a total of 250 “Final Recall Offers” to fill training positions in these two classes. There are an additional 15 Furloughees “voluntarily” coming off of bypass for these two classes and another 8 Furloughees returning from LOA who will be attending these two recall classes as well. United has communicated their intent to increase recalls to 40 a month starting in July 2007. Their tentative plan is to have two recall classes per month of twenty pilots each until the recall bypass list has been exhausted. The actual recall class dates for late July, August, September and early October have yet to be determined. Based on the current resignation rate ALL pilots on the recall bypass list will most likely have received their “Final Recall Offer” by the end of August 2007.

The following are the recall statistics as of 30 May 2007:

As of the 7 May 2007 recall class:
Recalled - Active Status 809 Total in 2007 195
Recalled – LOA 532
On Bypass 648
Resigned (coming up the list) 159
Resigned (going down the list) 31
Retired (over age 60) 2
Deceased 3

Including the 4 June and 9 July 2007 recall classes:
Total Offered “Initial Recall” 2172
Total Offered “Final Recall” 404
Totals to date:
Recalled - Active or Accepted 844 38.9%
Recalled - LOA or LOA upon return 557 25.6%
Remain on Bypass List 398 18.3%
Resigned, Retired or Deceased 274 12.6%

Yeah, the commit to commute really kills me. I also am hoping that satellite bases or phantom basing is in the future...I can't live at any of the bases we have....more because DEN is too good than because the bases we have are that bad.

I would have loved to teach at TK, but again, I wanted a guarantee....

I've got fifty people between me and a class. Hopefully there isn't a second July class. Not interested in training during the summer.

Bad news. They will send out more recall letters for the 9 July class. I can guarantee you that the 9 July class won't be filled with those that have been notified thus far. Expect a letter within the next two weeks. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back