• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Puppy, have you made your decision? Good Luck! Has any more info been put out on Skynet or the Alpa pages? Yes, BT is at Boeing doing pretty much the same thing for more money. Anyone know where VP SF went? Did he just retire or is he working elsewhere?

I said "no" to the Jun 4th class. See Ya and good luck to all.

Puppy,

I said no as well to the class on the 4th. I was a 6-25-00 newhire. It's just too late in the game to start at the bottom again. Good luck.

I said "no" to the Jun 4th class. See Ya and good luck to all.

Good luck to you too.

I can remember flying for a dirtbag DC-8 operator about 10 years ago when I was paired with a captain who was furloughed from UAL back in '85. He was one of the 570. He declined on the return to UAL because he thought that it didn't look good to him at the time. I thought he was an idiot for giving up his seniority number at United. He still has about 13 (or 18) years left and would be very senior at UAL now. However, I now understand what he was going through and I no longer think he was foolish for leaving United.

We all make the best decision we can with the facts we have at the time. We can only hope that the results of our decisions are favorable to us.

Think I'll just flip a coin.

GP

Just got my final recall at United for a 7/9/07 class.

3/20/00 hire.

Don't know what to do. I'd like to get to UPS in a couple of years and go to Anchorage. My PIC turbine would be cut off if I go back to UA (barely 1000 TPIC by 7/9/07. Pay and QOL would also decline at UA for the short term (at least). It also seems to me that by staying at JB and hoping for UPS that maybe I'm putting all my eggs into one basket. Guess I'd be doing the same if I went back to UA and hope I'd survive the next downturn/merger/acquisition, etc...

Benefits of going back include ALPA's aeromedical, job protection and collective bargaining. Also the ability to upgrade equipment (and pay) is better (long term) at United.

Commute as of now is much easier at JB than it would be at UA, unless we move to, say DEN. All my trips right now are commutable on both ends. At UA, trips would be commutable on one end only (for at least the short term).

Sure wish I could "ride it out" like our military brethren or the Delta guys are able to do.

Would like to hear some input from United and non-United folks.

Good luck to all with their decision.

GP

I'd like to tell you not to come back - only because you are senior to me :)

I have to say that after 8 months back, I am pretty damn happy. I left Airtran after 1 1/2 years and I have not looked back. We definitely have some contractual issues to take care of in the next few years, but I think the pilot group is becoming stronger and more unified. My simple conclusion is as follows: Not what is once was - still a good place - worth fighting for.

Best of luck with your decision!

UAL-GSO
6/25/2000

On APC it shows 300 left on furlough. What percent are coming back now that they are reaching the top? Heard UAL should hire by Sep/Oct. Any truth to that? Thanks.

On APC it shows 300 left on furlough. What percent are coming back now that they are reaching the top? Heard UAL should hire by Sep/Oct. Any truth to that? Thanks.

This is off of UAL's Skynet, dated today, 21 May.
Pilots remaining on bypass: 398
Junior pilot on bypass: sen #7666 (8655 is junior man on seniority list); hire date 3/6/00

They've sent out the initial batch of recall letters for the 9 July class. I am guessing that they will burn through another 100 or so bypassers for the July class. Current return rate of bypassers is less than 10%.
If they have a recall class in August, that should finish the entire furlough list.

A couple other notes: The System Scheduling Committee report for April showed 566 on mil leave and 220 on leave of absence. The mil leave guys (including myself) will probably return very slowly. The leave of absence guys were able to get leaves of absence up to 2 years, although most are much less. They are returning on a regular basis.
So while UAL's short on pilots, they will still have a regular inflow of guys returning.

What is the latest skinny on vacancies?

Just trying to figure out what to expect for the 7/9 class, if I go back.

GP

What is the latest skinny on vacancies?

Just trying to figure out what to expect for the 7/9 class, if I go back.

GP

This is from skynet; the only October unfilled vacancies were ORD 737FO - 4 slots. So it will probably be a mixed bag of 737 and 320 FO positions. My best guess (put no stock in it) would be based out of ORD, DCA, and SFO.

The November vacancy bids aren't out yet.

Tough call...um since you are/were barely senior to me go ahead and stay at JB :) Honestly JB will be caught up in the firestorm when the big mergers happen and could get squeezed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back