• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on UAL recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
when do you guys think they will start needing some fresh blood again...can't wait!

I'll second what yuppyguppy said. I'd expect United to start accepting apps in spring '07. It's a crap shoot as to how long it'll take to get through the seniority list on the second pass - it could happen lightning fast (you'd be looking at new classes late 07) or it could happen slow (newhires starting late 08).

The age 60 rule really makes this a crap shoot. If it gets passed, all bets are off on when United even finishes with recalls.

Alright, dumb question...Any chance the merger rumors are geared towards making the fence sitters show their cards early? I know a senoir FA who was treated not so nice upon return from voluntary furlough. Her take was the company was looking to run off the more senior employees. Perhaps a similar effort on the pilots' side?

Alright, dumb question...Any chance the merger rumors are geared towards making the fence sitters show their cards early? I know a senoir FA who was treated not so nice upon return from voluntary furlough. Her take was the company was looking to run off the more senior employees. Perhaps a similar effort on the pilots' side?

I don't think that I'd link merger rumors with bypassers; the bypassers will likely sit it out until the last possible moment.
I elected to bypass to save my mil leave clock from starting to tick. I plan on taking the full 6 years mil leave, as permitted by UAL's contract (assuming that they don't dork it up in C2009). The latest stat that I saw was that 44% of the pilots have taken a bypass.
At this time, management is expecting to burn through the bottom of the recall list by the end of Feb - they're on track to do that. That will leave approx 1000 on bypass that they'll need to give one last chance to before hiring off the street. From the way that I'm reading the tea leaves, management is expecting most of those 1000 or so to never return. Personally, I only expect about 1/3 of those people to return; most are just hedging their bets in case FedEx/UPS/Southwest/JetBlue/nonflyingjob takes a dive and then they can use their United safety net.

Even if a merger were to be announced tomorrow, it wouldn't matter. It will take quite a while to integrate two companies. I would expect the furlough list to be depleted before any integration occurred.

The one wild card here is a change to the age 60 rule. Sen Stevens was able to get S 65 attached to HR 5576 (an appropriations bill). If HR 5576 passes with the S 65 amendment in place, it will be up to the House subcommittee to accept or reject it while reconciling the two versions of HR 5576. The S 65 amendment can be removed from HR 5576 before it is voted on in the Senate, but it requires a single Senator to make a point of order. Problem is, S 65 is buried deep within HR 5576 so that most Senate staffers are unaware of this development.

Andy

Any idea if the sons/daughters/employees list is still around. I contacted a UAL pilot involved with the ALPA mentorship program several years ago and was added to the list. I would hope my name is still on it. I would like to at least give UAL a crack if they ever start hiring again.

Thanks,

FISH

Latest resources

Back