Latest on skywest/Coex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Utah pilot,

Maybe it is just me but I think the people who are making the decisions over at CAL are in the drivers seat, unless Skywest doesn't want the extra business. We all don't know exactly what will happen, but it will probably help the furloughed COEX guys more than you think. Who knows exactly how? Jerry Atkins probably is in the know, but maybe Gordon Bethune and his cronies have another plan.

Bye Bye--General Lee:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: ;)

General Lee : Maybe it is just me but I think the people who are making the decisions over at CAL are in the drivers seat

What faith you have in Skywest and it's employees! A few months ago you had some wisdom about how Skywest could not fly as UAL into SLC because of you and your powerful union, check the time-tables ace. Once again you are incorrect!

SkyWest is flying these routes at-risk; it is not a fixed-fee for departure. CAL is not making all the decisions. Its SkyWest's money and there are no guaranteed rates of return on this flying.

One thing pilot's hate to do is wait.

Let us all just wait and see what happens when the dust settles.

Splert…Blah, Blah, Blah

Bluto,

I am so sorry. I did not mean to offend you. Just saying that the 6 COEX pilots that I know first hand 4 of them are from the West and would give up COEX to settle down at SkyWest and make it a career. In fact one of them did not do so well on our sim a year or two ago and would love a second shot at SkyWest.

And mckpickle, you seem to know much.

No offense taken. I understand your point completely. I'm afraid the tone of a post is often difficult to read on these forums. Thanks for the clarification.

KFFA said:

And mckpickle, you seem to know much.

YA and..........whats your point. Why the attitude? I made the statement that no one was giving up thier number. I guess I should have said no one is going to be FORCED to give up their number. The commutair deal is set up so that coex guys CAN NOT stay at commutair even if they wanted to. This deal may be different and offer more choices. If so thats great but my union tells me no one is forced to give up their number.

I'm personally think the wording of the MOU has probably been finalized. We can sit here and speculate till we're all blue in the face- it won't make one bit of difference. If it has not been finalized, I don't think they're hung on the interview process- it's something else. Why??? because..........

Here is what I WAS TOLD. Not what I heard from my sister's husband's uncle's boss on a flight from ABQ. A member of the XJT union (the very group that will finalize the wording, or already has) emailed me yesterday. He/She said the exact wording is still being worked on, but there will be NO interviews for XJT pilots. They will all be offered employment with SKYW. He made no mention of where they will be based, what they will fly, or any other details. Once again, this is what I was told from the very persons who made the decision. The tone of the message was straight forward and to the point.

If I turn out to be wrong, it's because I was improperly informed. I can live with that. But I think it's time to move onto other issues here. How about, why do the pilots of SKYW think we should have to interview?? Have we not proven our abilities as professionals?? We're not college kids who are getting a free meal ticket. We all flew the line at XJT for 6-12 months. Those of us that will sign up for the SKYW position will do so because we want to be there, because we want to retain a career. Why do you guys think we'll be bringing a bad attitude? I'm just curious, not flaming any SKY pilots at all. Some of you seem to enjoy kicking us while we're down though. One thing all of us XJT guys do have in common: we've been furloughed for almost 2 years.

Once again, I look forward to any opportunities SKYW creates for my family, and the families of other XJT pilots who have been working 9-5.

why do the pilots of SKYW think we should have to interview?? Have we not proven our abilities as professionals?? We're not college kids who are getting a free meal ticket. We all flew the line at XJT for 6-12 months.

So what you're saying is that any furloughed pilot whatsoever should just ve given a job? There was a former EMB check airman in my class, furloughed from United; a furloughed AA pilot, they had to interview.. I'm quite certain that their experience exceeds the 6-12 month XJet pilots yet they went through the same interview that I (and every other applicant) went through. It's my opinion that nobody should get special treatment beyond a preferential interview. I think that my fellow Skywest pilots feel some pride in a job well done, we all earned our place.

I think one of the best things that came from the day I interviewed was that I felt that everbody in there was equal. The job was ours to lose. The first two that were asked to leave were a current Xjet 145 pilot and a furloughed UAL pilot. The point that I'm trying to make, from the impression I got from those two, was that they felt like they were owed something. Obviously Skywest didn't think so, nor did I.

I understand that the Xjet guys are bitter that SKywest is flying routes they used to. Used to being the key words. It is what it is...

Bjet Driver said:
How about, why do the pilots of SKYW think we should have to interview?? Have we not proven our abilities as professionals??

Perhaps the pilots at SkyWest have a different corporate culture than Coex and want to make sure you're a good fit. Flying an airplane to ATP standards isn't that big a deal so it's not about proving you ability as a pro. Like many other interview processes maybe they want to get an idea as to what it would be like to spend 3 or 4 days with you.

I don't know all the particulars about SkyWest but I'm willing to bet everyone on their seniority list had to go through some sort of interview process. Maybe you should be explaining to them why you feel entitled to be the only pilots that didn't have to interview.

Here is a couple of reasons why I think the coex folks should go through some sort of interview:

1) To make sure there is some commitment to be a reliable and dedicated employee.
2) To make sure there is no outspoken "sense of entitlement". Of all the personality traits I have dealt with as a pilot, this one gets on my nerves - fast!
3) To make sure the folks have kept their heads somewhat into flying - it has been (unfortunately) about 2 years since some of these guys have flown. In some cases, they may not want to give up their "groundling" job to get back into flying - (better pay or life situation).

All in all, this simply keeps both sides from "wasting each others time". What really is the harm in that?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back