Latest DAL/NWA arbitration debates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are the same bird.

You can add a spoiler and fancy hub caps to your Dodge Neon but its still a Dodge Neon. Go ahead and get the 4 door, its still a Dodge Neon.

Anyone else find it interesting that under cross examination NWA's side admits that DOH "disadvantages" the Delta pilots and that a ratio is a much more fair integration methodology to start with.

So as a fall back position NWA's witness testifies if the arbitrators must award a ratio list, then they should make it dynamic, to protect NWA's earlier retirement driven career progression.

But then they admit, Dynamic has problems:

First, they start with an assumption that it would take a Delta MD88 FO ten years of growth and attrition to bid up to the 737, or 757. During the same time without a merger the NWA new hire would hold a 787 B slot, or a 767ER B slot under Delta's plan. Then the witness testifies that adoption of a dynamic list raises the career earnings of a NWA 2008 hire by 4%, while reducing the career earnings of a Delta new hire 5%, comapred to the static proposal.

But with a static ratio, the difference is 1%.

18 You can see the consequence of the
19 static list on the left and the dynamic list
20 on the right for using job value units. The
21 Northwest pilots in the static will see a five
22 percent reduction in their group earnings.
23 The Delta pilots see a four percent
24 in the static than in the dynamic list.
25 The Northwest pilots lose a far
2 smaller amount of group career earnings than
3 the Delta pilots.

Now what was the percentage of NWA raises compared to the Delta raises in the JPWA? It was a whole lot more than 1%.

ALPA's merger goals:
a. Preserve jobs.
b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other.
c. Maintain or improve pre-merger pay and standard of living.
d. Maintain or improve pre-merger pilot status.
e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations.”

Using just and only NWA's testimony, Delta's ratio achieves ALPA's definition better than either of their plans.

I truly do not understand NWA pilots' cries of arrogance and unfairness with regard to the Delta proposal. Once you get past the hazy images of 747's flying over Mt. Osaka and start dealing with objective numbers the visibility clears right up.

Oh, and the Green book pilots just remained on the smaller equipment for quality of life.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The 75/76 pays the same...but the sizes are much different.....Sounds like the DC9 drivers are getting treated differently.....

Shush, don't tell anybody. The dumb arbitrators and NWA merger committee might find this out and figure DAL is trying to pull one over on them to the advantage of their own pilots.

Anyone else find it interesting that under cross examination NWA's side admits that DOH "disadvantages" the Delta pilots and that a ratio is a much more fair integration methodology to start with.

Funny, I can't find where they said any of that. Disadvantages from a day 1 snapshot maybe, but 5 to 10 years down the road, most DAL pilots make out better under the combined DOH model at the new DAL than they would have of DAL stood alone.

Under your POS model all DAL pilots benefit on the backs of NWA pilots. That won't fly.

I guess your model has no disadvantages for NWA pilots, like:

1. losing 5-10% seniority from day one.
2. Losing 10-20 over the next 5-10 years
3. Losing up to 50% over 15 years

but those numbers the NWA guys should just ignore?

You, GL and others just cherry pick your arguments but with no substance behind it. Your arguments make y'all the USAIR of this SLI arbitration.

And another nail in Dynamic's Coffin:
Q. No other airline has a dynamic
9 seniority list advice, do they?
10 A. Not that I'm aware of.

I guess your model has no disadvantages for NWA pilots, like:
1. losing 5-10% seniority from day one.
2. Losing 10-20 over the next 5-10 years
3. Losing up to 50% over 15 years

Your arguments make y'all the USAIR of this SLI arbitration.
Facts:
1. NWA brings smaller aircraft to the table, relative seniority by equipment is our status quo without the merger.
2. According to your witness Delta loses 4% under NWA's plan
3. According to your witness NWA loses 1% under DAL's plan.

According to your witness you lose ~1% of pay with Delta's plan. Delta loses ~5%. Which plan meets ALPA's own goals. This is without consideration for the raises obtained by NWA pilots, bringing NWA to parity in the JPWA.

I will refer you to the testimony of Captain Averill on the 15th of November. I'm not picking our best arguments, or even arguments being made by the Delta side. I'm just evaluating your representatives arguments. I'd love to see their charts, maybe NWA will leak them.

I know my side and am not asking for anything more than status quo.

Last edited:
If I just wanted to pick quotes for headline value I'd post stuff like this, while discussing NWA's proposed list:

7 Q. A third of the Delta pilots are
8 stapled on the bottom of the Northwest list;
9 is that correct?
10 A. On the bottom of the Northwest
11 list?
12 Q. Yes, on the bottom of the list, on
13 the bottom of the list. I misspoke. On the
14 bottom of the list.
15 A. Well, there are 3,000 pilots below
16 them.
21 A. The point is that the attrition
22 that we have enjoyed is a function of the
23 ratios that were built at the bottom, based on
24 the jobs that were brought to merger.
25 Q. Does it put a third of the Delta
2 pilots stapled below at the bottom of the
3 list?
4 A. At this point in time, it does.
3,000 Delta pilots stapled? Stapling half the list? Rant Rant & Whine.

The reason why we don't focus on NWA's proposals to staple half of Delta is because it so nuts that it is not worth even debating.

Really? Broken record?

I thought changing integration methodologies during rebuttal was news. It sure was to me.

I'm comforted a little by the fact however NWA puts together a list, it is not as bad for any of us than we think because it includes pilots who don't work at NWA, who are retires and those who have been out on disability with no intention of returning. Each one of those "gone but still on the list" pilots is a number. If NWA announced two dozen new 747-400 Captain slots, you would think it was news, well, this has the same effect.

The part I do not understand and maybe you can explain is, why do the NWA pilots demand so much more than status quo?

Facts:
1. NWA brings smaller aircraft to the table, relative seniority by equipment is our status quo without the merger.

really? I always thought the A330-300 and 747's had more seats in them than the 777. Again, I am sorry for my error. You better call DAL and tell them.

2. According to your witness Delta loses 4% under NWA's plan

Maybe at day one, then everyone moves up more on a % basis at the combined company. This is called a win-win vs. DAL screws NWA

3. According to your witness NWA loses 1% under DAL's plan.

Gee, then maybe the 6% I lose day one, 22% at year 10 and 60% at year 17 are just my imagination.. Tell me how I was going to retire in the top .05% at NWA or DOH, but the highest I get is 17% under DAL screw job. Where does the math get 1%.

Fact is you are either lying or full of crap. You choose.

I know my side and am not asking for anything more than status quo

Then you won't mind a dynamic list, because you wouldn't of had NWA retirements anyway, right?

Latest resources

Back