lakes layoffs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
f@#k mesa......

about the only two words that came to my mind....I hope Lakes keeps the contracts, at least they provide a better service than Mesa.

Anyone know how Mesa is doing on the Page to PHX flying? I've been hearing they do just about whatever they can to screw the Lakes arrivals and departures out of PGA.

IP076 said:
f@#k mesa......

about the only two words that came to my mind....I hope Lakes keeps the contracts, at least they provide a better service than Mesa.

So let me get this strait... Mesa is the bottom feeder.. and everyone hates them because of a subpar contract. Indisputable...

However, (and correct me if I'm wrong), the B1900 payscale at Mesa is higher than that at Lakes. (By several dollars even)
:eek:

The service statement was only from a passenger/schedule point of view.

Lakes pays less than Mesa, and has since the beginning of time, but no one had a problem with it. People go to Lakes, get there time, and GTFO. Lakes, as a company, is fairly contect with their EAS contracts and a little more. Most other airlines did not even consider Lakes competition for regional feed.

Now, every airline out there, ASA, Skywest, Air Wisconsin, Express Jet, whoever is in contract negotiations gets...."well, Mesa does it for this much, why do you need 40% more?" That's why many people consider Mesa bottom feeders. The perceived (and probably real) threat from Mesa to the Industry is far greater than it ever was, and probably ever will be, from Lakes. Also, I'd think most people don't care about 1900 Rates, they talk about lousy jet rates, and the fact that Mesa pilots best not fly a 737 for $73/hr in the left seat.....

Lakes layoff's

well I have heard everything today...I started the day out thinking we all had a chance still for the class next month...then I find out that best case scenario is august...

Does anybody know if this is related to contract talks or if it is loss of routes???

:eek: :confused:

Last edited:
Please tell me you missspelllled all that on porpoise.

Airline to serve North Platte two more years
Frank Graham (North Platte Bulletin)

Great Lakes Aviation will continue to provide air service to North Platte and four other Nebraska communities after receiving Essential Air Service funds of more than $5.2 million.
The airline received the funds from the Department of Transportation for the next two years.The funding was announced Thursday.

Besides North Platte, the airline will continue to serve Grand Island, Kearney, McCook and Scottsbluff.

Great Lakes Aviation offers three flights each weekday between North Platte and Denver.

Mike Sharkey, manager of North Platte Regional Airport/Lee Bird Field, said the subsidies are very important to continue airline service to North Platte.

“It’s extremely important for economic development of the area,” Sharkey said.

Congressman Tom Osborne called EAS funds “absolutely critical” for rural communities in order to remain viable.

Sharkey said Great Lakes has improved its operation and is running flights on time.

“The number of people flying is picking up,” Sharkey said. He said about 650 people flew on Great Lakes from North Platte in April.

“It’s been a steady increase,” Sharkey said.

Great Lake’s service to Grand Island will be changed to nonstop flights to Denver, rather than stopping in Kearney and McCook.

Airline subsidies for Norfolk were not included in the Department of Transportation funding announcement. According to the DOT, the decision to select Great Lakes is consistent with the communities' preferences and statuary criteria.

The DOT said Great Lake's proposed rates are reasonable and their service continues to be satisfactory.

The annual subsidy rates for each community will be $1,198,396 for Grand Island, $1,166,849 for Kearney, $1,502,651 for McCook, $870,504 for North Platte, and $494,887 for Scottsbluff.

The combined annual total of these rates amounts to $245,723 less than the communities' first choices.

The Department of Transportation will finalize its tentative findings and conclusions on June 19.

The essential air service will continue through June 30, 2006.

Great Lakes Aviation provides flights at 45 airports in 13 states with a fleet of 30 Beechcraft 1900D airliners and seven Embraer Brasilias.

The company employs approximately 1,000 aviation professionals. Since October 12, 1981, Great Lakes Aviation has carried more than 10 million passengers.

The North Platte Bulletin - Published 5/21/2004
Copyright © northplattebulletin.com - All rights reserved.
Flatrock Publishing, Inc. - 1300 E 4th St., Suite F - North Platte, NE 69101

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS WTF???

Flights to Kansas City rejected
Tri-City Initiative not funded by DOT

By Tracy Overstreet
[email protected]

ARTICLE TOOLS
E-mail Print Forums

FEATURED ADVERTISER

Independent Talk

"...it is a myth that it is cheaper to live in a small town. The personal costs of travel in time and money to secure just minimal needs are tremendous and have out-paced the pocketbook in many cases. ..." - lilchick377 , in our topic: subsidy for rural America

The regionally supported Tri-City Initiative -- a proposal to provide both westbound and eastbound air service to Central Nebraska -- was rejected on Thursday by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
"It's cost -- strictly cost," said Bill Stovall, manager of the Central Nebraska Regional Airport. "The Department of Transportation (DOT) is facing a 50 percent cut" in funds.

The Tri-City Initiative had a federal subsidy cost of $2.6 million compared to the $1.2 million Grand Island service and $1.2 million Kearney service under individual contracts.

However, it was the preferred air service plan supported by Grand Island, Hastings and Kearney and a proposal signed by all three mayors -- support that was noticed by U.S. Rep. Tom Osborne of Nebraska's 3rd District.

"I was dismayed by the DOT's decision to not select some of the communities' first choices -- particularly for the communities of Grand Island, Kearney and Hastings," Osborne said. "I was encouraged by the communities' proposal to partner together to provide service to both Denver and Kansas City, as this initiative would have delivered viable economic opportunities to the 3rd District."

Grand Island Mayor Jay Vavricek had only one initial reaction to Thursday's federal announcement.

"One of disappointment," he said. "The Tri-City Initiative made the most sense not only for Grand Island, Hastings and Kearney, but for all of Nebraska."

Because no one has eastbound air service, Vavricek said, he really thought that having Grand Island and Kearney working together -- for Grand Island to fly west to Denver with a stop in Kearney and Kearney to fly east to Kansas City with a stop in Grand Island -- was a way to capitalize on strengths and help each other.

Hastings Mayor Rick Sheehy was also disappointed.

"For a number of years, Kearney, Grand Island and Hastings have been working together to develop better commercial air service for Central Nebraska," he said. "We thought we came up with a plan that was the best for all three cities."

Vavricek thought the plan was so well thought out that he wants the DOT to confirm its findings.

"I never count my chickens before they hatch -- particularly in government programs -- but I was hopeful and wouldn't rule out a reconsideration, although it's highly unlikely," Vavricek said.

Kearney Mayor Bruce Blankenship was disappointed that the DOT said it was open to "out-of-the-box" ideas and then ended up not selecting such a proposal.

"But we are pleased to learn that Kearney will have dedicated aircraft where we will no longer have to compete for seats with other markets," he said.

Although not the preferred plan, the service the DOT approved represents an upgrade for Grand Island, which currently doesn't have nonstop service to Denver. Flights currently stop at Kearney and McCook.

Stovall was pleased that Grand Island now has nonstop service -- an asset that he said should help boost the number of people flying out of the Central Nebraska Regional Airport.

Although Grand Island's subsidy is for a 19-passenger plane, Stovall said there's also hope -- and encouragement from DOT -- to renegotiate with the airline to provide larger aircraft.

The air service is to begin on July 1 and continue through June 30, 2006.

Essential Air Service contracts

The following Nebraska cities were awarded Essential Air Service contracts to Great Lakes Aviation for the designated flights:

Grand Island: $1,198,396 for three round-trip nonstop flights on weekdays to Denver and four round-trip nonstops on weekends.

Kearney: $1,166,849 for three round-trip nonstop flights on weekdays to Denver and four round-trip nonstops on weekends.

McCook: $1,502,651 for three round-trip nonstop flights on weekdays to Denver and three round-trip nonstops on weekends.

North Platte: $870,504 for three round-trip nonstop flights on weekdays to Denver and four round-trip nonstops on weekends.

Scottsbluff: $494,887 for three round-trip nonstop flights on weekdays to Denver and four round-trip nonstops on weekends.

Norfolk: No funding.

Source: Central Nebraska Regional Airport

Latest resources

Back