• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kelly: SWA costs too high

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about charging for bag fees like everyone else?

M

As opposed to hoping SWA pilots take a paycut, wouldn't it be better to hope we all get a payraise?

Seems to me, that a 777/747 driver does indeed deserve $300 plus hour, after all, that comes out to about 1-1.5% of the lowest ticket price?

Last edited:
It took SWA management this long to figure this out? At one time USAIR had the highest paid DC-9 captains in the industry and now look at their pay, much more realistic wages.
Carma is a bitch since SWA raped and pillaged ATA Airlines, I look forward to reading of the severe cutbacks coming to SWA in the near future.

Oh Yeah-Southwest Sucks

It took SWA management this long to figure this out? At one time USAIR had the highest paid DC-9 captains in the industry and now look at their pay, much more realistic wages.
Carma is a bitch since SWA raped and pillaged ATA Airlines, I look forward to reading of the severe cutbacks coming to SWA in the near future.

Oh Yeah-Southwest Sucks

Payrates are not what brought down USAir. Futhermore, SWA did not rape and pillage ATA. If anything they kept them on life support a few more years.

Get your facts straight. Oh yeah, this is FI.com. Who needs facts?

Lets be honest, productivity can only do so much. Bottom line is still many SWA Captains make over $200k, and that wage is unsustainable long term, considering it's only a 737 and considering todays airline enviornment. One way or another, you folks will have pay cuts forced down your throats.

How about charging for bag fees like everyone else?

M

This is a misnomer. To say SWA doesn't charge for bag fees is inaccurate. SWA does charge for bags, it's just reflected on everyone's ticket in the all-inclusive price. Look up a city pairing of your choice, and then compare it to mainlines or Spirit/JetBlue. I guarantee you with 95% chance that SWA will be more expensive.

Lets be honest, productivity can only do so much. Bottom line is still many SWA Captains make over $200k, and that wage is unsustainable long term, considering it's only a 737 and considering todays airline enviornment. One way or another, you folks will have pay cuts forced down your throats.

You just don't get it.

Due to our productivity, SWA pilots fly what 1.2-2 pilots fly at other airlines. If SWA took the AA pilot contract we would have to hire 1000 more pilots. (at least) SWA are paid a lot because we keep the headcount down. Quite a bit. In doing so we are paid more per pilot.

Something that you haters seem to ignore.

The "B" scale that us Airtran guys will be under was extremely foolish for SWAPA to support. It will be used against the SW pilots. It is ashame that SWAPA allowed that carrot for management. I posted this on here a year ago, and it will happen as I predicted. My concern fell on deaf ears on the SW side. We shall see.

deleted

Latest resources

Back