Kelly: SWA costs too high

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying the Line

Kelly: Southwest Airlines must respond to compete against leaner, meaner competitors (and he means the bankrupt big boys)

By Terry Maxon/Reporter
[email protected] | Bio
11:54 AM on Mon., Dec. 5, 2011 | Permalink
Southwest Airlines chairman and chief executive officer Gary Kelly offered some surprising observations Monday about his three biggest competitors:

• The old, legacy carriers, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines, don't exist anymore. They've been replaced by better versions with lower costs.

• American Airlines won't survive if it doesn't convert itself as they did.

• Southwest has to find a way to overcome the lower costs of its competitors.

In a letter to employees and in a separate hotline, Kelly said Southwest will have to fight to keep its competitive spot against major competitors who have transformed themselves, like United or Delta, or will transform themselves, as American must do.

In the letter he said:

"American isn't the only airline not to survive without bankruptcy. Let's look back to 1989, the year Southwest became the newest member of the old major airline club, based on annual revenues.
"All the majors from 1989 have gone bankrupt. Pan Am. Eastern. Braniff. Continental. America West. TWA. US Air. United. Delta. Northwest. And now, American. Every single one failed.

"Why? Not because of Customer Service, but because of high costs. Great Customer Service cannot overcome high costs. That is the imperative I wrote about a decade ago: low costs."

On the hotline, he added about American Airlines:

"I am sure they will shrink. I am sure they will be forced to reduce their costs or else they will be shut down and liquidated. It'll be long. It'll be painful for them. Along the way, they lost their way. As the world changed over the last decade, they were simply not able to adjust and especially with their labor contracts."
"In the near term, they'll be very distracted. That may be somewhat good for us. It may be very good for us in some markets.

"But I can assure you, over the longer term, we're going to face a more formidable opponent, just like we now face with United, who is performing the best they have in 20 years, and also Delta, also performing very well and in some ways better than Southwest Airlines."

Southwest has to "get our costs down through increased productivity to compete against these new legacy airlines," Kelly said on the hotline.

"Their costs are much lower than they were. Their labor costs are lower than ours. Actually, they aren't what you would call legacy airlines. They are new. They are different. The old legacy airlines are dead and buried," he said.

Yeah, I was gonna say most SWA Captains top what legacy Captains make on 777/747s. Despite SWA's productivity, those kinds of high labor costs are not sustainable long-term. The only reason SWA made a profit was because of their excellent fuel hedges, but even those will be gone. Save this post and mark my words, revisit this in 10 years (or less) from now. SWA pilots will be taking major cuts to "realign" themselves to be more "competitive" with everybody else.

Written 12/5/2011. We'll talk on or before 12/5/2021.

Something will give at SW. They can't keep paying their pilots what they do while flying 737's. It was a good run and I wish I was there making that kind of money, but you'll see Kelly ask for concessions. It's coming. United and Delta are giant airlines that are much leaner and meaner than 5 years ago. Everyone is pretty much on a level playing field and it shows. What's on the horizon, who knows. Just wish the best for everyone.

Something will give at SW. They can't keep paying their pilots what they do while flying 737's. It was a good run and I wish I was there making that kind of money, but you'll see Kelly ask for concessions. It's coming. United and Delta are giant airlines that are much leaner and meaner than 5 years ago. Everyone is pretty much on a level playing field and it shows. What's on the horizon, who knows. Just wish the best for everyone.

We still cost less than Delta and are more productive. Plus it is easy for a BK airline to become more lean and mean. POOF! All debt gone.

Could this be the end of.......:cool:

How many hrs/mo does DAL 777/747 Capt fly?
I bet ours average 80-95hrs/mo.
Can't get much more productive.

I disagree with one thing Gary said. Customer service does make a HUGE difference. If a Capt took a 10%/trip paycut, that $18/trip will make NO difference if the planes are empty because a passenger was treated badly or we lost his bag.

Hopefully we can sustain our wages, but when you're wages are the highest, there's only one way to go. Let's hope the productivity goes up so other things don't go down. This is the only airline I've been at that I have not taken a pay cut.

If i were SWA labor, before GK comes asking for a paycut...maybe you should ask him the total cost of the "bags fly free" campaign. Total cost meaning: advertising plus lost revenue. Side note: I would miss the ads because they are very entertaining to watch!

Delta, UAL, and etc are making millions charging for bags. High value customers love it because they no longer have to subsidize the leisure travelers 4 checked bags full of snorkel gear going to Hawaii! If the SWA passengers complain...a new marketing campaign idea. "You are free to ship your bags on FedEx." Any guess what that would cost them?

Although entertaining, I don't see the "bags fly free" program dissuading the legacy carriers to discontinue their a la carte programs. If GK were smart, he would not come after labor in an effort to subsidize his marketing program. He would be better off focusing on revenue management. JMO!

Latest resources

Back