Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What goes must come down. Just watch.

M

General, let me expose the fallacy of your post in regards to productivity.

Using your theory, it takes the Delta crew 15-hours on the 777 to transport 268 passengers. Over that same 15-hours (@ 1-hour per leg) the Southwest crew can potentially transport 2250 passengers...or 1,982 more passengers in the same 15-hour flight block as the Delta crew can. So, how can it be possible when you say that the Delta crew is just a productive as the Southwest crew because they each flew 15-hours?

Your flights are all $49 one way flights from BUR to LAS (stripper express) and no bag fees. Most 1st class tickets to SYD run in the THOUSANDS of dollars. Throw in bag fees, and other fees, and you can't compare the revenue. Then you need to add extra tires on your plane for all of those yahoo approaches you guys do and the 40 kt taxis, and your costs still go up. 15 cycles on your planes vs 1 on the 777. $$$$$$ DL 777 pilots may make about the same as your 737 pilots, but your FAs and everyone else on the ramp, at the gate, etc. make a lot more than Deltas. Face it, your revenue will have to come up, or other things may go down..... I would personally like to see your pay NOT go down at all, primarily because I would like to match it for our 737 pilots in our next contract. Please don't give up a penny if you don't have to.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Your flights are all $49 one way flights from BUR to LAS (stripper express) and no bag fees. Most 1st class tickets to SYD run in the THOUSANDS of dollars. Throw in bag fees, and other fees, and you can't compare the revenue. Then you need to add extra tires on your plane for all of those yahoo approaches you guys do and the 40 kt taxis, and your costs still go up. 15 cycles on your planes vs 1 on the 777. $$$$$$ DL 777 pilots may make about the same as your 737 pilots, but your FAs and everyone else on the ramp, at the gate, etc. make a lot more than Deltas. Face it, your revenue will have to come up, or other things may go down..... I would personally like to see your pay NOT go down at all, primarily because I would like to match it for our 737 pilots in our next contract. Please don't give up a penny if you don't have to.

Bye Bye---General Lee

See post #45.

Wrong-you start charging for bags and many pax will flee back to the other airlines. Gary spoke of the hard data last year: swa gained more pax and thus more revenue because they don't charge for bags. Unless of course he was not telling the truth.

What other airlines are they going to travel on? Almost every flight I work at my airline is full with a jumpseat. Every airline is generating record load factors, even American.

What most airline managers have discovered is that passengers care primarily about price and then schedule. Free meals, gone. Free entertainment, gone. Free bags, gone. The passenger response? Increased load and revenue.

I imagine that SWA would like to switch to a pay per bag system, but are up the creek without a paddle after making "free bags" such a battle cry. Then again, CAL recently touted the fact that they still have free blankets and pillows while every other airline had removed them. Guess what? No more free blankets and pillows on CAL.

The 777 pilots are roughly as productive because they generate roughly the same revenue.

Using fares from both airlines' websites:

DELTA
LAX/SYD economy fare ($3740) x 224 seats (wag) = $837,760

YMMV

DAL. LAX - SYD $ 1500. (Jan 5- J) Expedia.

Qantas. LAX -SYD economy fare $ 1450. Qantas site.

You may have to adjust your math ;)

Last edited:
United WAS the place to work about 15 years ago...Don't think it's your turn!!!

Of course they are making money because the PAY sucks! When that comes up, they will not be making enough money!

Did you guys get rid of ALPA? Otherwise it ain't gonna happen, They have their own agenda, not sure what it is but it's not getting higher pay... If someone figures it out, PLEASE let the rest of us know! Remember the Parity Plus 1 years, that's long gone!

Good Luck, My next pay raise is counting on you!
KBB

Well, I don't disagree with you.

Good catch. I used next-day fares off Delta.com, not month-out fares from Expedia. Hard to say what percentage of seats are sold at what price.

And you will have to raise your fares, obviously, which helps the rest of us. THANKS!

Southwest Airlines Launches Nationwide Fare Sale
Airline Reduces Fares for Winter Travel as Low as $59 One-Way

DALLAS, Nov. 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Doing some online Cyber Monday holiday shopping? Well, hop on over to because Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) has launched a four-day winter sale with air fares starting as low as $59 one-way to select destinations nationwide (*see fare rules below). These super low fares are available for purchase only at Southwest com today through Dec. 1, 2011, 11:59 pm PST. The 10-day advance purchase fares are available for travel all days of the week except Sunday between Dec. 8, 2011, and Feb. 15, 2012 (blackout dates apply). To see the list of markets, prices, and to take advantage of these special fares,

continued....

Bye Bye---General Lee

and therefore you're saying they need to lower their costs with a cheaper labor contract.... RATHER than the others raise theirs with a better one, right?
How does one go about the raising of fares in an open markets without reducing load factor? The eternal question that has baffled CEO's since 1977. And if everyone raise them, what prevents Skybus, Valuejet, or Freedom airlines from starting up with low fares where they have low labor cost, because everyone is on 1st year buy.

Latest resources

Back