• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

KCBM T-38C went down 18 Jan 07

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fay is back at the Kitchen. Teresa became the manager at the local Sonics. Wow...we need to get a life.

As for the new T-38C ejection seats...

Laughlin is suppose to get the new Martin Baker seats first. Supposedly, sometime this spring.

Any word on the seat? Is it an ACES-quality device, or will the T-38 ejection envelope pretty much remain the same?

I assume that ENJJPT gets it last...standard. :)

Any word on the seat? Is it an ACES-quality device, or will the T-38 ejection envelope pretty much remain the same?

I assume that ENJJPT gets it last...standard. :)

-Martin Baker seat

-I believe the seat's capability is 0/0.

-Who knows who will get it next, after the recent low level punch, CBM is pushing hard for the hoop to be the number two base to get them.

I think there's still a ppt briefing about the seat on the 560 FTS (T-38 PIT) https website under student briefings.

-Martin Baker seat

-I believe the seat's capability is 0/0.

-Who knows who will get it next, after the recent low level punch, CBM is pushing hard for the hoop to be the number two base to get them.

I think there's still a ppt briefing about the seat on the 560 FTS (T-38 PIT) https website under student briefings.
What about making it a linked/sequenced system like modern 2-seaters (F-15E/T-6)?

That's always the weirdest crew coordination item to brief: "Ok, stanley...since you're in the back seat today, you'll be going first..."

What about making it a linked/sequenced system like modern 2-seaters (F-15E/T-6)?

That's always the weirdest crew coordination item to brief: "Ok, stanley...since you're in the back seat today, you'll be going first..."

How does that work in the F-15E and T-6? Can the backseater go out alone in these airplanes? Conversely, can the backseater eject the frontseater?

In the F-4 the backseater had a 'command selector valve' that when rotated to the 'closed' position would punch the frontseater out first if the backseater pulled the handle. If the valve was vertical the backseater went alone.

A lot of backseaters got their feelings hurt if the frontseater wanted the selector to in the 'backseater goes it alone' position, but it never bothered me. All I asked was that the nosegunner choose one position for the entire flight.

I adopted this policy after a pilot told me to 'open the selector for takeoff, close the selector for cruise, open the selector for the low level, close the handle in the bombing pattern, open the handle on initial'.

How does that work in the F-15E and T-6? Can the backseater go out alone in these airplanes? Conversely, can the backseater eject the frontseater?

T-6 has a lever to select solo (each seat ejects individually) or both (any handle pulled, both eject -- front seat first). There is a proposed 3 position mod to allow the front seat to eject the back, but not vise versa. This position would be used on orientation flights.

I'm not 100% certain but I think the T-38 seat will be a derivative of the T-6 martin baker seat. Must need some modification since the T-6 seat envelope only goes to 370 KIAS and 35000'.

In the F-4 the backseater had a 'command selector valve' that when rotated to the 'closed' position would punch the frontseater out first if the backseater pulled the handle. If the valve was vertical the backseater went alone.

A lot of backseaters got their feelings hurt if the frontseater wanted the selector to in the 'backseater goes it alone' position, but it never bothered me. All I asked was that the nosegunner choose one position for the entire flight.

I adopted this policy after a pilot told me to 'open the selector for takeoff, close the selector for cruise, open the selector for the low level, close the handle in the bombing pattern, open the handle on initial'.

Jim,
F-15 B/D/E are all the same. There's a 3 position selector valve in the back. Normal - Solo - Aft initiate.

Normal - Front seater pulls the handles, the back seater goes first followed by the front guy. Back seater pulls, he goes alone.

Solo - obviously, back seat is empty. It stays with the jet when the pilot pulls the handles.

Aft initiate - Either guy pulls, the back seater goes first, then the front.

Jim,
F-15 B/D/E are all the same. There's a 3 position selector valve in the back. Normal - Solo - Aft initiate.

Normal - Front seater pulls the handles, the back seater goes first followed by the front guy. Back seater pulls, he goes alone.

Solo - obviously, back seat is empty. It stays with the jet when the pilot pulls the handles.

Aft initiate - Either guy pulls, the back seater goes first, then the front.

Thanks Adler, that reminds that I did get a sortie in an F-4 that had a 'solo' position. It was an ex-thunderbird.

The new change to the 1T-38C-1 just came out with the new Martin Baker seat incorperated.

There is an Interseat Sequencing System (ISS) Selector Valve in the RCP. The modes are "both", "solo" and "CMD fwd".

Latest resources

Back