• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseating and the forward lav....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When bumming a free ride on someone else's airline, I think it's best just to go along with whatever policies or procedures they have in place. Being a pilot grants you no special powers or authority. Besides, the FA's probably don't need the jumpseater hitting on them as well.

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner.

If you start breaking the rules, then every other pax will want to as well. You are not an ACM if you aren't JSing in the cockpit. Don't be an idiot.

I disagree. But, I was in my own cabin, as there was no first class. Not every airline has first class. Of course, I've been invited up to FC to use the lav by the FA's, but that's another story.

Everyone seems to agree that it would be nice to follow the pax rules, but nobody seems to know whether it's the law or not. If I sign up for the JS, and they check me in CASS, it doesn't matter where I'm sitting. What if I ride in the cockpit for the takeoff and then ride in the back for the rest of the flight? Again, I don't think she didn't want me there, she was concerned about the TSA regs. Also, if you are concerned about other passengers following suit, don't you think they see someone in uniform as crew, whether you guys do or not?

I'm just asking about the legality, not the morality, or courtesy aspect of it. That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks.

When bumming a free ride on someone else's airline, I think it's best just to go along with whatever policies or procedures they have in place. Being a pilot grants you no special powers or authority. Besides, the FA's probably don't need the jumpseater hitting on them as well.

I wasn't hitting on her. I just asked if she minded if I stood up there, and she said no, except that she thought I wasn't allowed. I don't think many flight attendants know what CASS is, and if you are allowed to ride in the cockpit, why not stand outside for a minute? I'm just asking about the legal part, not the courtesy part. I know very well about courtesy, as I've been doing this for a very long time.

The legal part is that she can tell you to do whatever she wants, and you need to do it.

That's how I view jumpseating and it's given me a 100 percent success rate.

I disagree. But, I was in my own cabin, as there was no first class. Not every airline has first class. Of course, I've been invited up to FC to use the lav by the FA's, but that's another story.

Everyone seems to agree that it would be nice to follow the pax rules, but nobody seems to know whether it's the law or not. If I sign up for the JS, and they check me in CASS, it doesn't matter where I'm sitting. What if I ride in the cockpit for the takeoff and then ride in the back for the rest of the flight? Again, I don't think she didn't want me there, she was concerned about the TSA regs. Also, if you are concerned about other passengers following suit, don't you think they see someone in uniform as crew, whether you guys do or not?

I'm just asking about the legality, not the morality, or courtesy aspect of it. That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks.
You are a toad, the same as all the other toads in the back. The uniform means nothing at your airline, less on someone else's. The reality was she didn't want to watch you stand right in front of her and pick your nose, and then eat the boogers. Legality, "lawful crewmember orders" cuts a broad swath, add "inteference" and there is your answer.

Great way to get kicked off the flight if FA complains to the Capt/FO. Basically you're in the way up there especially if they're boarding. Take your seat and appreciate the ride.

FA are approved for CASS also btw. And once in the cockpit, if you're riding up there, there's no leaving after TO for a seat in he cabin. If the gate issues you a seat in the back then just board and take your seat to get out of the revenue passengers and FAs way. Most airline policies require an offline pilot to ride in the cabin if a seat is available there.

Latest resources

Back