Jumpseating and the forward lav....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So,
Let's say I'm jumpseating on someone's airline, in uniform, and they have a seat for me in the back. I walk up front to talk to the flight attendant, and she tells me I can't stand there. I replied that I am considered crew, and it's only passengers that cannot stand and wait for the forward lav. I said that if it made her uncomfortable, I would gladly move. So, my question is, who was right?

Now, if you think the FA was right, that's fine. My only question is, why can I ride in the cockpit, but can't stand outside of it? Can I stand outside of it, in the galley area for a few minutes while actually riding in the cockpit? Why or why not? Do flight attendants realize that pilots riding in the back, if CASS checked, are qualified to ride up front in the cockpit? Do they know we are considered additional crewmembers? They seem to know we cannot have alcohol while jumpseating, so doesn't that mean we are crew?

Just curious as to what others think of the situation. Thanks.

Drop the entitlement and just do what the flight attendant(s) say when you're a guest. You may be a crew member, but they still outrank you!

If you really care about this issue than work on your charisma and bring chocolate when you jump seat foo!

Last edited:
Umm - it might be nice to pile on- but none of you have answered his actual question yet and haven't recognized that he did comply-

I think its a fair question the second way you worded it skydiver- but I don't know the answer-

So let me change the scenario-

What if the FA was a friend or girlfriend- and wanted you up there to chit chat- could you legally? Or would Mr FAA or ms TSA catching a ride have issues with it?

When asking for a jumpseat you are a guest. You may still have rights just like you would at another person's home, but being courteous should trump most of them. Go along to get along.

When you are getting a free ride, you try not to argue about such a minor thing. It doesnt matter what the technicality is. I hope you were jumpseating on ur own people to talk that way to the working crew....

The trolly dolly needs to shut up and know her place. I would have told her to get back to serving the guests.

Oh wait.. They're there for your safety. Nevermind.

Umm - it might be nice to pile on- but none of you have answered his actual question yet and haven't recognized that he did comply-

I think its a fair question the second way you worded it skydiver- but I don't know the answer-

So let me change the scenario-

What if the FA was a friend or girlfriend- and wanted you up there to chit chat- could you legally? Or would Mr FAA or ms TSA catching a ride have issues with it?

My perception is that he may have argued with the flight attendent before complying.

What did I miss?

He is a PILOT, in the galley,(spotlight, as far as pax are concerned) and he knows it..everyone needs to know who he is ,, what he does, what he has, how great he is!

Latest resources

Back