Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver2

So,
Let's say I'm jumpseating on someone's airline, in uniform, and they have a seat for me in the back. I walk up front to talk to the flight attendant, and she tells me I can't stand there. I replied that I am considered crew, and it's only passengers that cannot stand and wait for the forward lav. I said that if it made her uncomfortable, I would gladly move. So, my question is, who was right?

Now, if you think the FA was right, that's fine. My only question is, why can I ride in the cockpit, but can't stand outside of it? Can I stand outside of it, in the galley area for a few minutes while actually riding in the cockpit? Why or why not? Do flight attendants realize that pilots riding in the back, if CASS checked, are qualified to ride up front in the cockpit? Do they know we are considered additional crewmembers? They seem to know we cannot have alcohol while jumpseating, so doesn't that mean we are crew?

Just curious as to what others think of the situation. Thanks.

She prob told you that because you were in the way and she didn't want to talk to you. Take a hint and move yourself to the back. You were out of line if you pressed the issue and lecture her on how you felt entitled to stand there and talk to her. Why on earth did you feel the need to go hang out and stand outside of the cockpit in uniform?

Last edited:
What happened to using the lav in your ticketed cabin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

So,
Let's say I'm jumpseating on someone's airline, in uniform, and they have a seat for me in the back. I walk up front to talk to the flight attendant, and she tells me I can't stand there.

Well, you're not telling us what you wanted to talk to her about, but I think we must keep in mind that humans are territorial animals and if the flight attendant didn't want you in her galley, that's about the end of it. I mean, if that's the only bad thing that happened, seems to me it's still a pretty good day.

When bumming a free ride on someone else's airline, I think it's best just to go along with whatever policies or procedures they have in place. Being a pilot grants you no special powers or authority. Besides, the FA's probably don't need the jumpseater hitting on them as well.

If youre crew, set an example. So many crew members think they're above policy just because they're crew.

How was your breath?

If you start breaking the rules, then every other pax will want to as well. You are not an ACM if you aren't JSing in the cockpit. Don't be an idiot.

What everyone else said!

You're getting a free ride. Show some respect to the rest of the crew and you'll have them eating out of the palm of your hand. Try throwing your weight around and they'll try getting you thrown off eventually. Be cool.

I always introduce myself to the lead FA, and the others if there is time. Sometimes they appreciate it, other times they could care less. As long as you're polite and professional it will help to insure we all keep the jumpseat thing going.

I personally don't miss jumpseating at all......! Haven said that, I agree with the rest of the posts, don't forget that jumpseating is a privilege, not an entitlement.....!

Latest resources

Back