Job Offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Job

Well the job has some good and bad points.

The good:

I would be paid to fly again, and perhaps it would resurrect my career.

The Bad:

I would loose money over what I do now.

I would become a stooge for a rich family.

I would be gone most weekends and miss opportunities with my family.

I would be on the hook 24/7 and it is hard to live a peaceful life under those circumstances.

The time I built would only amount to a few hundred hours a year, If that.

My logic says "stay away". My heart says to "go for it".

Skyline

Skyline said:
Do you fly fuel for Everets in FAI? I think we might have spoke on the phone a year or so ago. I was selling a set of Taylorcraft floats and you called on them. Was that you?

Skyline

Nope, not me. The owner of Everts has a taylorcraft ... was his last name Everts?

Skyline said:
Well the job has some good and bad points.

The good:

I would be paid to fly again, and perhaps it would resurrect my career.

The Bad:

I would loose money over what I do now.

I would become a stooge for a rich family.

I would be gone most weekends and miss opportunities with my family.

I would be on the hook 24/7 and it is hard to live a peaceful life under those circumstances.

The time I built would only amount to a few hundred hours a year, If that.

My logic says "stay away". My heart says to "go for it".

Skyline

Dude,

I really dont understand you. You have complained over and over again on other threads about how you hated Part 135, and when you see a Learjet overhead it makes your stomach turn. Yet you are now about to get back into a King Air, have no schedule, no life, and all for 24k to 34k a year? I wouldn't get out of bed for that amount of money. At my other career in the insurance business we have Secretaries that make TWICE what you just quoted and neither of them have College degrees.

Hell for that amount of money you might as well go to a regional. Or heck why dont you go work for a place like Airnet? New hires there can make $40K a year to start and the only work Monday-Thursday.

You are your own worst enemy. You bitch and moan about the industry yet you are willing to bend over and take up the keister with no KY just to fly a plane. Don't you have any pride?

By the way what part of the country do you live in?

In other threads you mentioned that you would be flying a King Air 200. If that is what you will be flying then 24K-34k is WAY below what the going rate is around the country. If you accept a job making that much then you get what you deserve.

Not much better than being a 5 dolla ho.

Danger Kitty

DK,

You are such a gentleman. That is what I like best about you.

To answer your questions. I live in Washington State. Aviation jobs just don't pay all that well overall here. Even Lear Captains barely reach 40K. It just isn't enough money.

I have a family of four small sons. For the first time in my adulthood we have a good and peaceful life. During my aggressive pilot days we moved a lot and lived in some bad places to keep the dream alive. A move to the city to make a few thousand more a year wouldn't be worth it.

I don't know if you are married or have a family but it changes things. There are few opportunities here and what there is ain't so good. Employers know it and exploit the situation.

Skyline

A Squared

A Squared,

The guy I spoke to was a 42 YO DC-6 Captain for Everts. We spoke for over an hour. He wanted to get out of AK and was asking me how I did it. I still have the floats for sale. They are off of my F19. I bought the plane in ANC over 10 years ago. I think I will try to sell the whole thing this winter.

Skyline

...i dont know much, but i DO know 24k to fly a 200 in washington is wayyyyyy too low :(

hell the guys in kansas (read lowest cost of living in the country) make about 38 to fly a 90 :)

Skyline...
Would I take that job for that kind of money? Absolutely not. I don't know what the problem is, but someone with your listed experience can command significantly better - even if it's "just" a King Air. Go in and demand more - if they want someone with your experience they've got to pay for it. If it doesn't work what have you lost? Don't prostitute yourself.

'Sled

kingairyahoo said:
...i dont know much, but i DO know 24k to fly a 200 in washington is wayyyyyy too low :(

hell the guys in kansas (read lowest cost of living in the country) make about 38 to fly a 90 :)

That's because nobody wants to move to Kansas...

There is a B 200 job posted on 350 right now. You need to be flexible for them, but get the wonderful advantage of being a contract pilot and you pay for your own recurrent training too! Their daily pay better be a heck of a lot then.

Latest resources

Back