Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
King Air

Lead Sled.

A year ago I had another King Air opportunity. They asked for my salary requirements and I told them at least 60K. Their counter offer was almost half. I stalled and soon after the plane went away and they didn't buy it. They did however send me to King Air school and payed my whole way. You would think I could find something out there, but there are few good jobs in the area.

Skyline

Skyline,
Weak compensation packages, poor qol issues, etc, are a part of this industry as you are probably well aware of, they are a dime a dozen unfortunately. It is easy for many to make excuses for you "not" to accept the position, I have no excuses other than if it were me then I would pass on this offer. Too many other operators out there that *pay* a decent salary. Sometimes patience is a *key*, keep looking and pursuing other options and opportunities. If you are that "desperate" and in need of something right away then it would appear that your decision is already made. Good luck in whatever you decide that is in your best interest.

The reason why the pay in your area is so low? Pilots continue to whore themselves out in your area.

Low Pay

Diesel,

Everyones pay is low. I guess it is the custom and expectations of local employers to pay little. It is largely a farming community and they refuse to pay more. Thankfully our costs of living are lower than most places.

Skyline

then hang it up

if you do this for what is = to no money, you are doing yourself and your family wrong. as if that wasn't bad enough, the worst part is that you are f-ing me over when i try to demand a respectable wage for what i do. i don't take too kindly to that.... but i know you probably aren't thinking in those terms, so i am not going to take it personally;) .

you posted here looking for advice, and for better or worse, that is how i see it.

we all need a break, a leg up from time to time, but there are some serious principles involved here that you should not violate. have some respect for yourself and the future of your family. if this "wealthy family" can't afford to pay a pilot a REAL salary, i doubt that their airplane is in the best of condition if you know what i mean. in your shoes, i would treat this as a big sign to stay away from this situation.

if it is a choice between this or quiting flying, give it up.... the liability alone is not worth it.

best of luck in your decision.

-casper

Unless your farming community is in Argentina, there isn't any reason you should be paid much less than anyone else.
If an owner can afford $4 or $5 per gallon for Jet A, then he can afford to pay his pilots an industry average wage. Otherwise, there are a few airlines that would be glad to take his money.

Skyline said:
To answer your questions. I live in Washington State. Aviation jobs just don't pay all that well overall here. Even Lear Captains barely reach 40K. It just isn't enough money.

BS. You need to go out and re-look at payrates. 40K for a Lear is about $20 less than the low end of the national average.

Skyline said:
I have a family of four small sons. For the first time in my adulthood we have a good and peaceful life.

Good then your FIRST obligation is to your family and not your "dream" to fly airplanes.

Skyline said:
A move to the city to make a few thousand more a year wouldn't be worth it.

Then why are you even considering it?

Hanging it up

You guys are all correct. It dosent make much sence to keep going under the current conditions. All I can offer is that is is difficult to walk away from so much effort and hardship. In addition as long as I keep an iron in the fire there is a chance things will work out. I have a good resume and there is still a thin chance that in a few years I could get picked up by my dream company. I would not move to the city to earn a little more but I would consider taking a low paying position close to home if the situation was acceptible. I would need to have the opportunity to earn a living outside of this job. I'll have to wait and see what they offer and what their attitude is like.

Skyline

Latest resources

Back