• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue to Make Major News Announcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From what little I know about JB now, I can't imagine they would ferret out this flying to the lowest bidder. That would seem to be against their philosophy of seeing employees as a part of the solution, not a part of problem. If they did field out this flying and it impacted the "mainline," that would be a major departure from their current line of thinking.

Just my .02

all jet blue pilots

during the conference call, they said all flying will be done by jet blue pilots. A 190 capt will be paid more than a 320 FO. he also got a few digs in, about the scope clause not allowing other majors to follow their lead. and contract carriers providing inferior service and not part of the jet blue vision.

I wonder how this will affect any future negotiations with the Majors? Maybe the majors will start getting their own 70,90, and 100 seaters. That would suck for the regionals.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool: :D :p

Re: all jet blue pilots

flaps30 said:
during the conference call, they said all flying will be done by jet blue pilots. A 190 capt will be paid more than a 320 FO. he also got a few digs in, about the scope clause not allowing other majors to follow their lead. and contract carriers providing inferior service and not part of the jet blue vision.

Our scope clause does not prevent Delta from doing exactly that. In fact, it requires it.

Of course, it is a little more difficult because our employees are paid so much more.

He didn't happen to get in any "digs" about that, did he?

E-190

Just back from the pilot meeting at JFK......
New hire pilots will "bid" the A-320 or the E-190. They will have a JBU seniority number and also be fenced for a time not specified on the airplane.....
Different pay scale.............yes
More money than a regional.........yes
Ability to bid to another type after "fence".......yes.
The Embraer rep gave some pretty impresive numbers:
Range-2200 nm
Speed- .78
Fly by wire,
CAT III A, etc.

The future is pretty bright.
I'm glad to be here!

Re: E-190

bluejet said:
The Embraer rep gave some pretty impresive numbers:

I'm sure he did, but did he pony up this fact? NO aircraft manufacturer...not one...not even Airbus, makes a cheaper, more flimsy aircraft than Embraer.

Enjoy that bright future. Hopefully it doesn't hinge on those aircraft lasting into it.

You have a good point, GenLee, as far as some majors going with RJ's. USAirways recently showed that to be the case. Might be seeing a new trend here, which certainly does not bode well for the commuters.

Personally, I'm with those who think that a single type is the way to go. My non-expert opinion is that JetBlue should have stayed with the Airbus, if that's what they started with. I don't know what the bean-counters know, but will a similarly-sized different-typed aircraft be any better cost-wise than continuing with the Airbus?

Further, I am very skeptical about new airplane types, especially such a new design as the EMB190. I think the airline may run the risks of many kinks that need to be worked out. Not to mention, call me old-fashioned, but all this fly-by-wire stuff makes me wonder. An inexpensive glittery new airplane type with all the bells and whistles may look dazzling....

Flycatcher,

There is only one thing thats wrong with fly X wire, and thats the pilot that doesnt understand it and someway got in that seat and through IOE. I dealt with a lot of guys like that and they blame the airplane. The bus is a fantastic piece of machinery and I would love to fly it again. The only thing "I USED" to not like Delta for is the fact that I would never fly the bus again...... Ha.....
Now the reasons are pretty much endless. Now if the new ERJ 190 is ANYTHING like the ERJ 145.......well lets just say that its really not anything to talk about. I myself don't understand why they would stray away from the single type, but then again Im outside in the cold, thirsty as heck and looking inside the window and seeing a pitcher of blueaid sitting on the table next to a fire............. thinking hhhhhmmmmmm. lol This will definately be interesting. This is one management team that I think people can actually trust.

ps Hey you blue suiters,

Can you guys please ask Neeleman if he'd be willing to teach a class to all the deadbeat CEO's out there about how to run a company and how to treat employees? Thanks.......

I have heard some good things about the E145, and the cockpit is nice. I also think Jetblue may have strayed from it's original game plan, but it might work out. They must have gotten a great deal on the EMB-190's.... Why didn't they go for the A318? That will be ready to go in 2005 too. Southwest has different types of 737's----200's, 300's, 500's, and 700's. Jetblue could have had A320's, A318's, A319's and maybe A321's down the road. That would have made training easy. It is called "derivative aircraft."
They could have bought spare parts in bulk etc. That is one of the reasons Southwest does so well. I wonder what kind of a deal Jetblue got? Ofcourse the guy from Embraer extols the new aircraft---he is the sales rep!!! This will be interesting.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: ;) :p

It's all about the economics offered...

Why did Easyjet in the UK stray away from the 737-only model and decide to order 120 Airbus A319s? Because Airbus reduced the price to the point where any added complexity from a second fleet was moot........... The economics were so favorable that additional parts inventory and pilot/mechanic training related to the new airplane type was not a big issue... I bet Jet Blue got a similar deal - it is the launch customer for the EMB-190 (not the 170 like USAirways) and it probably got a huge volume discount - just like it did for the big original Airbus order it made at the beginning...

And you can be sure that there are performance guarantees attached to this deal - if the economics of the airplane in terms of seat/mile cost are not met per the plan, then Jet Blue would be compensated by Embraer. You know that Neelman (spelling?) would try to reduce as much risk as possible - especially with a new, unproven aircraft type.

Wow, in 2-3 years there will be so many RJs flying around the East Coast - they will be like nats.... Keep your head up when you fly into the New York area - probably RJs all over the place...

I'd love to see Jet Blue fly the Emb-190s out of Long Beach someday...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back