• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue to Make Major News Announcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who said I never flew another jet? I have not flown a large jet, but I do have some (not a lot, I must admit) experience from many years back in a corporate jet - the Citation III (the swept wing version, not the near jet). It was a nice airplane, if not a bit small.

You say the Bus is a .82 airplane? Is that normal, every day cruise? Or is that Go-home-power? If it's normal cruise, I stand corrected.

My story about the 737 has no holes in it. It happened just a few days ago. SWA operates quite a few of the Next Generation 737's that have a normal cruise of about .80. Sure, the old one's were slow, but I suspect that the way the SWA guys were moaning, they were probably in a NG.

As for the climb, yup, I admit it's a dog. But if you read my post carefully I said 300 in the climb slowing to 270 up high. I've never had New York Center or any other Center for that matter "chew me a new one". And since I am a reserve slave currently based in ORD, and formerly based in BOS, I have had quite a bit of experience with this bird in the Northeast and Chicago, not to mention the West Coast and DFW areas. Yea, if you’re doing 270 right out of 10,000' they'll chew you out, but I don't do that. 300's what I go for. As I said before, the bird does not perform as well as a Boeing or a Bus and I admit that openly.

As for Dutch roll in cruise - operator error is all I can say. I have flown with quite a few pilots who seem to be oblivious to the possible cause of the constant wing wagging at altitude: the airplane is slightly out of trim. Therefore it begins to roll slightly (maybe 1 or 2 degrees). The autopilot corrects it and then eases up a bit. The airplane again begins a roll. The autopilot again corrects it. On and on it goes. I will usually ask the other guy to turn off the autopilot to see if the airplane’s out of trim. It almost always is. Trim the airplane for steady hands off flight and re-engage the autopilot. Problem solved. It has worked for me every time.

Radar? Yea, you've got to be conservative with it because of that little dish. It definitely is the weak link. No excuses there. I wish I had your airplane’s fat nose and big dish. But I don’t.

Crosswind landings? I've had that handlebar hit my leg one time during a crosswind landing. It hasn't happened since. As they say "sit like a girl" for a crosswind landing.

As far as soundproofing. I stand by my statement. I've been told that the airplane is really quiet in the corporate configuration. They say most of the noise is from the fuselage, not the windshield. Make any assumptions you want about the windshield. Maybe you are right. I have not had the opportunity to sit in the Legacy and compare.

As far as your beloved airbus’s performance. So what? I never said that the Embraer could keep up with it in any way. They do not compare. Try to find that implication anywhere in my post. In fact, I said, "I will admit that the airplane is not in the same class as the Airbus." What I was trying to do was counter your blanket statement about the EMB being a POS, not say that it compared favorably with the Airbus. It does not. However, you imply that the airbus is the greatest thing since sliced bread. One of my friends flew 737's, 757, and 767's for United. He now flies the Airbus. He doesn't like it. He is actually thinking about going back to the 737. So I guess not everyone shares your view of the plane. But I guess he just does not understand the airplane like you do or he would probably be smitten with it.

Long Haul is NOT six hours, BTW. Coast to Coast. It’s a milk run. Long Haul is 9 to 14 hours plus. That's long haul. Six hours is a yawn for a true long haul airplane and its crew. My point was that speed is relative. The true long haul jets will do .85 for 12 plus hours at normal cruise. Speed is all relative. You think I'm slow, and the 747 pilots think you're a moving speed bump. So what.

The purpose of my original post was to illustrate that the EMB is not a POS as some imply. It certainly is not anywhere near being a perfect plane, but no airplane is.

Just my opinion.

Networ-King said:
Hey redhead,

Your story about the SWA 737 has a couple of holes in it also....... seeing how they are one of the slowest boeings out there. I have not flown any other boeings, but unless its the 737-800 or 900 its freaking slow. .78 if memory serves right.

the -700's can cruise in the .80's although I don't remember seeing it much in the intra-cali market. Flew from SJC to LAX a couple a weeks ago and got slowed down behind a RJ and Cappy piped up that "with the other airlines getting more RJ's, it's gonna really mess up ATC since they can't go that fast". As a former RJ Driver I educated him that with the CRJ profiles I flew, we normally cruised at .77-.82 and Mmo was .85 which you could hit down hill. Obviously many of the slowflights to LAX are LA Center Flow. But if you aint flyin' that RJ above .78 then "Lead, Follow or get the F*** out of the way":mad:

Red,

I never said that the A-320 was the best airlplane out there. Ive been dying to get my hands on a 757/767 and thats what I would be flying right now if I was at my old airline. I simply made some comparisons from the ERJ to the Airbus and the 737. Im sorry if I offended you in any way, but your post had alot of mistakes, you facts were wrong, and I corrected them. SORRY. Just do me a favor, if you don't believe me, just check out the top of the FO's winshield and its etched in there that the winshield is for the EMB 120. Hence after 250kts the noise gets louder.....alot louder. Im sorry that you don't agree with me that if you wear David Clark headsets in a jet then something is wrong. Citations III? Thats all I have to say about that........ Enjoy your time at EAGLE...... and thanks again for the thoughtful and professional remarks in you other post about 66 rule. Good luck at EAGLE.

Any one who knows me know that I am generally the easygoing sort who avoids conflict and argument. However, I will not let sleeping dogs lie in certain instances. When it comes to Age 60, I stand where I stand. Sorry. I read your post and it was pretty vitriolic. I responded.

As for the EMB, I just get tired of the constant bashing of that plane. It is not even close to being an ideal jet and God only know I'd rather be in the Bus, but the airplane is not the POS everyone that many people seem to think it is. And, yes, I've seen the EMB-120 stamp on the windshields. Like I said, I am only repeating what I've been told. And, yes, I do hate the fact that the thing is loud. Personally, I do not wear DC's. I wear Telex lightweights with earplugs. And, no, I do not enjoy having to wear earplugs under my headsets.

We'll agree to disagree.

;)

Oh...and another thing...we agree on one thing.

EAGLE DOES SUCK!!!

I am trying to move on, ideally to JetBlue, if possible. Stay tuned.

The Emb order is great news for Jet Blue wannabes.

It is too bad that all current Jet Blue pilots will likely not fly the new and advanced EMB-190 (due to the "one bid" rule the General talks about above). Yes, the Airbus is an amazing aircraft, but it would be great to also fly the "latest" high-tech masterpiece - I have seen pictures of the upcoming Primus flight deck - awesome! Regardless, anyone lucky enough to get on with Jet Blue should be happy enough!

Your story about the RJ and 737 doesn't really surprise me. Many guys have had it beat into them to fly profile speeds. They do this despite ATC requests for faster. At FL290, it would have had to be one heck of a hot day and an old plane with A engines to not be able to flog it faster than .74. I enjoy hearing max forward, but not everyone does I guess.

FYI - the rules have not been written in stone - rather, a working template has been drafted. JetBlue has two years to solicit input from its pilots and to figure out how to the do the right thing. No, I don't think you will see the fleet-jumping like you do at many other carriers, but I trust the rules will be finalized with plenty of pilot input and it will be good plan.

There will be challenges to surmount, but again, we are looking at the first airplane touching a JetBlue ramp in Fall of 2005. With the team jetBlue has, I have to trust that the pieces will be put into place long in advance of the first delivery.

And finally, can we stop calling the Embraer 190 a "regional jet" or "RJ"? Perhaps we need a new term that properly relates the role the 100-seat airplane will have in the future. How about a "prospector jet" or "PJ"? Why? Because JetBlue is mining for gold and just may find some nuggets!

Cheers!
AKAAB

:D :D

"Pilots currently flying for JetBlue will stay with the A320 fleet "and will be an A320 captain before these planes even come," he said. "There will be a certain amount of fencing where [future] pilots will go to one aircraft type and stay there." A320 captains will receive the highest pay, followed by Embraer 190 captains. Pilots will have a one-time opportunity to transition permanently from one fleet type to the other. "We're not going to have bouncing back and forth," which adds cost and complexity."--Perry Flint

I don't know about you, but I think that is alittle strange. That is capping your pay if you are on the EMB-190 as a Captain. Any A320 FO would be crazy to go to EMB-190 Capt, because he/she wouldn't be able to go back to the bus for higher pay. Maybe this will all be settled after they get a union and work on their first contract. Oh wait, they would never do that because they love and trust their management team and nothing could ever go wrong.......... I hope so.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: ;) :p

General Lee,

Currently, we have a fence for bidding FLL as a base. It's a six month commitment... unless you are an FO that is awarded a CA bid. As soon as you are awarded CA in JFK, you are automatically excused from FLL as an FO. So, it would make sense the same will be written into any fence for equipment. This Mgmt. group has never, ever tried to stunt anyone's career potential. I know, that's not really exciting for you, but that's just how it goes.

As far as your union comment, I have a question for you. What dog do you have in this fight? Why does that matter to you one way or another?

JayDub

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back