Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jbucpt said:
G4G5 said:
And the 190 pilots will do it for half of that, hence the need for a union[/quote
G4G5 said:
]

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc., the nation's third-largest carrier, is prepared to use the bankruptcy court to achieve $325 million in cost concessions from its pilots if the company and union can't reach a deal on their own, chief executive Gerald Grinstein said Thursday

lets see how well DALPA will protect the profession...............hence the need for a union...

DITTO

Talk to the IPA about how bad a pilot union can be, they just received a 95% confidency vote (pro strike) from their membership. The IPA is on the verge of making the UPS pilots the wealthiest of any pilot group. Uniforns, luggage, 1% A fubd, 11% B fund yada yada. All paid for.

Talk to the SWA pilots about how bad a union has been for them. Higest paid 737 pilots I know of.

Airtran has the NPA. They seem to be doing pretty well.

You guys crack me up. It's just another case of the Kool Aide blues. No one said it has to be ALPO but your mgt has got your pilot group so anti union, that the thought of a union that actually could do something good is beyond anyones concept.

Their are good unions, that actually help pilots. A union is what you make it. Anyone who follows my posts know that I am definatly not pro APLO. But you have to admit that something as simple as a seniority list showing projected seniority at retirement is something that a union would be good at.

Besides who ever said it had to be 2%, for years the APA charged 1.5% and they had over 10,000 pilots. To defend and represent 2,000 pilots with a positive friendly mgt, shouldn't cost 2%. It's when you start spending big bucks on the lawers that the money adds up quick.

Food for thought.

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
And the 190 pilots will do it for half of that, hence the need for a union

Yea, a union did me a lot of good! After faithfully paying my dues, everything they promised me; No furlough, retirement,etc.. is gone. Every pilot I know in ALPA is trying to get out of it. What union do you like?

What do USAir, UAL, DAL and NWA all have in common?
ALPO
What do SWA, UPS, AA and Airtran all have in comon?
Besides not being bankrupt. Independant pilot unions.

Your a smart guy, you tell me which would be better for Jetblue?

G4G5 said:
ALPO

none...........AA is on the brink of bankruptcy, (pilots will have to give back) SWA only made a profit due to intelligent management hedging fuel....airtran will post a lost for the year ( pilots will have to give back) and UPS is not in the passenger carrier business.. i.e. little competition....

the only thing pilot unions proved the last 4 years is how quick it can GIVE BACK.... that 2% was money well spent???

whats smarter, starting at a lower rate gradually going up or taking it in the A$$ and giving it back????

G4G5 said:
ALPO

Where are you laid off from anyway?

Unions aren't a defense against bad business models or really unfortunate economic and political realities. You are expecting way to much of a union if you think it can prevent furloughs or airlines driving themselves into bankruptcy. How do you feel about Santa Claus?

I'd still prefer to have the union behind me when it comes times to negotiate contracts, grieve a scheduling error, or God forbid defend me from some enforcement action by the FAA.

Oh yeah, 1-T-R, we need to talk. I think you are doing more redeyes than I am right now, and I'm a vampire!

Hope ya'll are doing well down there in my hometown.

FJ

jbucpt said:
... UPS is not in the passenger carrier business.. i.e. little competition...
When you grow out of your nursery rhyme phase, read up on a little Memphis-based company started by Fred Smith.

Hey Diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle...

:)

whats smarter, starting at a lower rate gradually going up or taking it in the A$$ and giving it back????

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Those are the words of a new-age airline pilot who's compensation expectations have been altered by airline management. JetBlue has created the modern era "B" scale with its EMB rates of pay. In August of 1991, thirteen years ago an American Airlines F-100 CA made $142.72 per hour. A JetBlue equivalent will bag $89.00 per hour at year 12. Now the rest of the industry has finally given in to the low cost operators. My question. Will you guys rise up and defend the profession?

conman said:
taking it in the A$$ and giving it back????
And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Those are the words of a new-age airline pilot who's compensation expectations have been altered by airline management. JetBlue has created the modern era "B" scale with its EMB rates of pay. In August of 1991, thirteen years ago an American Airlines F-100 CA made $142.72 per hour. A JetBlue equivalent will bag $89.00 per hour at year 12. Now the rest of the industry has finally given in to the low cost operators. My question. Will you guys rise up and defend the profession?

Conman
Maybe your right maybe your wrong. Only time will tell. There are no 5 year EMB-190 Captains right now let alone a 12 year one. So who cares what the pay listed beyond year 5 is? Once the aircraft starts making money and jetBlue raises the pay on the EMB-190 comensurate with industry standards would you be man enough to admit you were wrong? I wonder?

Latest resources

Back