Jetblue Loses 42.4 Mil

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Falconjet said:
In the dictionary you might find this quote when you look up irony.

A pilot for an LCC blaming the "competition" for not being able to raise fares.

Interesting.

FJ

I think it is under hypocrisy as well.

Jblu

lowecur said:

Other than that it should be a good day to buy. If they get into the low $11's or better, I will be there with a small investment.:)

http://www.primezone.com/newsroom/news.html?d=93277

With a P/E of 93.10 and an Earnings Per Share of 0.14, I don't think I'd be buying this one. However, I think you could still make money shorting the stock. I started shorting it at at $29.00 and have done well.

GV

Falconjet said:
Off topic somewhat, and DS doesn't work for SW anyway, but here goes.

SW will always hedge fuel if they have the resources (ie cash) to do so and supplies remain tight and uncertain. They won't run out.

If they are unable to maintain their pricing advantage with hedges, they will actually raise their fares! Gasp! They will do what it takes to make a profit regardless of the price of fuel, that is the way they run their business. Fuel hedges are a key, yet small part of their business success. They don't just magically appear, they are bought and managed by very smart managers who just happen to make a profit year after year. Having cash on hand opens up all kinds of doors.

Ok, sorry for the rant.

Back to bashing DS.

FJ

Falconjet,
A well put together post. SWA's fuel hedges are one tool in a bag of tricks to maintain an advantage in our business model. SWA is not a one trick hedge pony as some people like to simplify on here. No one mailed Southwest a bag of fuel hedges and said "good luck", it was smart long term stability planning 5-7 years ago that worked out very well.

By the way, JetBlue was smart enough to hedge fuel in Q4 2005 also. It wasnt enough to offset a loss, but smart planning on their managment part also.

I have had a few buddies at Capt upgrade here at SWA lately that have talked to Gary Kelly. He is very proud of our hedging product and has stated that we have been squeezing the competition because of our cost advantage and will continue to do so in the near future. He also stated that these $1-$3 dollar price increases should be able to cover any loss of hedges we will have this year. We just saw that price increase a few days ago.

Hedges will not run out. They will decrease in benefit over time if fuel stays at $65-70 BBL. Southwest will continue hedging beyond 2009.

Lampshade said:
Originally Posted by FlyBoeingJets
I wonder if ATA would really be better off with America West

What the heck are you talking about?

I'm assuming you mean, "Why is that on a JetBlue thread?" Point taken, just ramblings on my part. You can disregard at any time and move on to the next post.

If you really mean, "What are talking about?", well, I suppose I'm more interested in and aware of the relationships between the LCCs than you. If you think ATA, SWA and America West have nothing to do with JetBlue's future, you will be surprised at some point.

Blue Dude said:
We did until fuel tripled, genius. Then competition ensured we couldn't raise fares fast enough to keep up. Good thing we have people like you around to show how it ought to be done.

I thought a while back he was wishing for $80 oil?

vetrider said:
I thought a while back he was wishing for $80 oil?

He sure was and as my memory serves me he was not afraid of it either. I guess the numbers are telling a different story.The increase in casm trend will only get worse as the airline grows.

I wonder what $80/bbl oil would have really down to the numbers.

Falconjet said:
In the dictionary you might find this quote when you look up irony.

A pilot for an LCC blaming the "competition" for not being able to raise fares.

Interesting.

FJ

LOL. EXACTLY!!!!!!! Dead on. Forkin hillarious.

I still do not get on why JB got 190's and started flying out of EWR and LGA. Something they said they would never do.

Could luck to all the guys at JetBlue. You have a great product.

Marty

Latest resources

Back