• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue class dates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would suggest being debt free. Now I would suggest that to anyone, but I can assure you it makes the first year pay cut you will take a lot easier. Being debt free I was able to live descently and still put an extra 1K into savings each month. My wife also works so that helps a lot. Now there is a guy in my pad with a large family, and lots of debt currently on first year pay and he is struggleing to say the least.

Just to give everyone some more info to make the best decision possible. With 5% into 401k, dental, vision, std, ltd, BPF, and the least expensive medical plan with an extra $50/mo going towards an HSA my paychecks were $1250 take home each pay check. This is at min garuntee and almost zero perdium each month. On reserve don't ever plan on breaking garuntee. In my first year of reserve the most I ever flew was 39 hours.

We all have to make choices based on our own lives, so I suggest you get as much info as possible, pay off as much debt as possible, bank as much as possible in savings and choose wisely.

You don't have kids?

Considering the new and improved benefit plan at bigblue, I think there are much better opportunities out there.

Other major US carriers, overseas, but with this latest, bigblue is a mere stepping stone to better, however, at current rate, if you are looking for turbine PIC, which every other major requires, then at present it will take 7-10 years before you see the left seat.

Caveat Emptor!

Completely agree with you that paying 10% of your gross pay to medical bennies is a disgusting disgrace. It's just as bad as Continental not giving medical bennies for 6 months. Very sad. That being said, you can mitigate our medical plan issues by living a very clean lifestyle. It is a disgrace that you have to do this, but you can.

I am in no way saying this is right in any way for you, nor do I think it is right that I have to do this. However if anyone cares this is how I do it.
1. I am young, healthy, non smoker, and my wife has her own bennies. I use the least expensive medical plan we currently have.
2. I have an emergency fund that is large enough to cover the extreme deductible that goes along with this plan in case I get hit by a bus.
3. I also have a 6 month emergeny fund that could pay for all my living expenses for 6-12 months if I go on STD, LTD.
4. I put $700 (tax free) plus the company's match of $250 which will increase to $400 next year into my HSA to cover small issues. This takes care of very small issues.

This is how a very clean living can mitigate our very high health care costs.
So I pay $67/mo for my actual medical plan which is basically a just in case you get hit by a bus plan. This also only really works if you are single (or wife has bennies), healthy, and kids aren't in the plans.

Just some info for the new guys on the way here. Like I said, live debt free, and save as much as possible while you can for all the guys on the way here.

What plan is $67/mo?

What plan has a company sponsored HSA?

$$$ is quoting this year's rates for a single guy on the cheapest plan. Next year is completely different, and much more expensive.

My apologies, I can't figure out exactly what plan he's on. And I was completely incorrect about his being on the cheapest plan. A single guy on the cheapest plan this year would cost $20/month.

Every plan has a FSA component this year, but you have to jump through hoops to get any JB funding of it. It's mostly self-funded from pre-tax deductions.

My apologies, I can't figure out exactly what plan he's on. And I was completely incorrect about his being on the cheapest plan. A single guy on the cheapest plan this year would cost $20/month.

Every plan has a FSA component this year, but you have to jump through hoops to get any JB funding of it. It's mostly self-funded from pre-tax deductions.

I agree. I don't know where the $67/mo is coming from.

I also imagine he is talking about the FSA and not an HSA. The difference is very important, that's why I mention it.

FSA = unused funds disappear every Dec. 31st

HSA = funds are yours to keep year after year, job after job

HRA (new plan) = from my understanding, funds may roll over year to year as long as you remain in that plan and stay with jetblue.

An HSA is basically a 401k you can only touch for health related costs. Once deposited, it is your money, not subject to jetblue's ever worsening cost of care.

Amazing how you suddenly need a password to access this site now. If it's such good news, why is it a secret? Even current employees don't have the access.

I think that was just the link before it was actually published. The PDF was dead on that page and the address starts with staging.whatever... But yes these new plans are ridiculous.

Completely agree with you that paying 10% of your gross pay to medical bennies is a disgusting disgrace. It's just as bad as Continental not giving medical bennies for 6 months. Very sad. That being said, you can mitigate our medical plan issues by living a very clean lifestyle. It is a disgrace that you have to do this, but you can.

I am in no way saying this is right in any way for you, nor do I think it is right that I have to do this. However if anyone cares this is how I do it.
1. I am young, healthy, non smoker, and my wife has her own bennies. I use the least expensive medical plan we currently have.
2. I have an emergency fund that is large enough to cover the extreme deductible that goes along with this plan in case I get hit by a bus.
3. I also have a 6 month emergeny fund that could pay for all my living expenses for 6-12 months if I go on STD, LTD.
4. I put $700 (tax free) plus the company's match of $250 which will increase to $400 next year into my HSA to cover small issues. This takes care of very small issues.

This is how a very clean living can mitigate our very high health care costs.
So I pay $67/mo for my actual medical plan which is basically a just in case you get hit by a bus plan. This also only really works if you are single (or wife has bennies), healthy, and kids aren't in the plans.

Just some info for the new guys on the way here. Like I said, live debt free, and save as much as possible while you can for all the guys on the way here.

Man we have come a long way from "welcome to United you are all millionaires" to "have you seen my periwinkle van down by the river".

We don't need lessons on how to live on government cheese.

Latest resources

Back