Jet Blue Pilots Files with N.M.B. for ALPA Representation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NOBODY!!!

The PVC does not negotiate, they make suggestions then mgmt say's "no we can't afford it" or on the topic of scope they say "We can't restrict the company from taking advantage of future opportunities" or "Trust us we don't have any plans to outsource pilot jobs"

Who and what is the PVC??

There's a Point to this, I promise.

Who and what is the PVC??

There's a Point to this, I promise.

Ok I will play along for a bit.

Pilot Values Committee

It is a company sponsored committee that acts as an intermediary between the pilots and management to hear the concerns of the pilots. (not what it was originally intended to do but what it has evolved into)

The pvc is the door mat on the way through the direct relationship.

Ok- so the line is that each pilot negotiates directly, but the PVC really works out the details-

If the shoe fits- company sponsored CBAs are illegal under the RLA:
http://www.nmb.gov/documents/rla.html

§ 152. General duties
Fourth. Organization and collective bargaining, freedom from interference by carrier, assistance in organizing or maintaining organization by carrier forbidden; deduction of dues from wages forbidden

Employees shall have the right to organize and bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing. The majority of any craft or class of employees shall have the right to determine who shall be the representative of the craft or class for the purposes of this chapter. No carrier, its officers, or agents shall deny or in any way question the right of its employees to join, organize, or assist in organizing the labor organization of their choice, and it shall be unlawful for any carrier to interfere in any way with the organization of its employees, or to use the funds of the carrier in maintaining or assisting or contributing to any labor organizabion, labor representative, or other agency of collective bargaining, or in performing any work therefor, or to influence or coerce employees in an effort to induce them to join or remain or not to join or remain members of any labor organization, or to deduct from the wages of employees any dues, fees, assessments, or other contributions payable to labor organizations, or to collect or to assist in the collection of any such dues, fees, assessments, or other contributions: Provided, That nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prohibit a carrier from permitting an employee, individually, or local representatives of employees from conferring with management during working hours without loss of time, or to prohibit a carrier from furnishing free transportation to its employees while engaged in the business of a labor organization.

=================================

There are a host of non union airlines who create these "student councils" to intermediate between the company and pilots- it IS illegal, but must be challenged in court.
Like I said, if the shoe fits.

IOW these sub-groups/loose organizations are tantamount to changing individual pilot's work agreement by negotiating with another arm of itself. Any group representing pilots must be as independent of the company as you yourself would be if you were negotiating for yourself.
It must meet standards of legal representation.
The company cannot have had any part in running, financing, or creating a group that can change your working agreement.

We're all pilots who are good at interpreting legalese. Tell me where I'm mistaken.

IOW these sub-groups/loose organizations are tantamount to changing individual pilot's work agreement by negotiating with another arm of itself. Any group representing pilots must be as independent of the company as you yourself would be if you were negotiating for yourself.
It must meet standards of legal representation.
The company cannot have had any part in running, financing, or creating a group that can change your working agreement.

We're all pilots who are good at interpreting legalese. Tell me where I'm mistaken.

You are not mistaken. Most of us have finally come around to the realization. Hence the upcoming representational election.

My math might be a bit off, secondly not sure what BB included in his pay, but if it is just pay, he averages about 110-120hrs credit a month. Certainly not the norm.

So far this year, yes, I've had over 100+ hours of credit per month for the year. I also have a bank of 200 hours of PTO I can utilize to get over the 100 mark/month if my schedule does not permit it initially. BTW, you can use 10.5 hours/mo and still keep the same balance!!! PTO is great when it is not squandered.

I know a Captain who had 144 hours of credit last month too, he had one trip bought from him and also a week's vacation though... You can make money here if you get off your butt... I usually do two-day trips, which allows me to be home every day and have no issues with picking up redeyes when I'm in premium time (the bonus round)...

Blue bayou-
That's great- honestly. Those who want to work can make money- those who can't get that schedule and want a more normal life can make the standard- no problem-

Again- we're all pilots who are better than most at reading legal language- what do you think about that section of the RLA that I posted. Seems to me your PVC isn't allowed under the law. What do you think?

Take 4 weeks vacation and call out sick once a year and PTO sell back is limited.

What PTO sell back really is is selling your vacation. That is cool but the bottom 75% are hosed because the top 25% bid all 6 weeks in one pass though the list.

Not much of a benefit to most pilots.

Latest resources

Back