• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue Pilots Files with N.M.B. for ALPA Representation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lets get back on subject -- namely what a stupid idea bringing ALPA to JB is. I am always dumbfounded by the sheep that blindly follow ALPA. SWAPA has demonstrated conclusively that an inhouse union is MUCH better than a union that exists for the sole benefit of DL and UA.

Ask the UAL pilots furloughed about that.

Unions don't protect pilots from furlough. A good management team with vision and buisness savy have a chance. Anyone under the illusion that a union can avoid a furlough in tough economic times or national crisis ( 9/11 ), are clearly misinformrd.

Lets get back on subject -- namely what a stupid idea bringing ALPA to JB is. I am always dumbfounded by the sheep that blindly follow ALPA. SWAPA has demonstrated conclusively that an inhouse union is MUCH better than a union that exists for the sole benefit of DL and UA.

Totally agree with you about SWAPA and its success. You have to look at their managements role and acceptance of a union. They do it right! No doubt- now look at J.B. management, they have clearly stated they will not support a union in-house or other. That my friend is the biggest difference in J.B. vs SWA.

Last edited:
You see, right there, thats how ALPA lost it for UAL pilots, they killed the goose. They held the gun to the heads of management and said "go ahead, give it too us or we'll strike". They did, and they got exactly what any reasonably minded person could have told them, they went bankrupt. Yes, ALPA caused that.

That could only happen at United and Delta, for as the old story goes 'alpa is nothing but a United and Delta country club, and don't you forget it son.'

All others, at least the two I've been at, get told by alpo 'you're not good enough, smart enough, and no one likes you. Now get out of my hair.'

They'd never kill the golden goose at any lesser property. They will hang you out to dry though. They'll put the squeeze on you. They'll ******************** you.

Last edited:
The fact is UAL pilots had the "dream" contract before 9/11. This contract was gained through many years of negotiations, slowdowns and strikes. However, the company has the ultimate power-- called bankruptcy. The reset button was pushed and all those years and contracts went down the tubes. No union will ever prevent that.

The first thing to realize is that not a single pilot group had a contract imposed upon them from a bankruptcy judge. All of them voted for the contract because they feared one being imposed upon them. They could have allowed it to be imposed and then threatened a strike whenever the courts and NMB would allow, and the company would have been in a difficult position to raise bankrutpcy exit financing in that situation.

The other thing is that a company doesn't want to go into bankrutpcy just to get rid of a pilot contract. The amount of money to enter and exit bankrutpcy is large, and management loses control of the company to creditors and a bankrutpcy judge. Shareholders basically lose all of their money and creditors try to get as much as they can on the dollar. Ironically, a lot of what happens in bankrutpcy depends on the political climate. I'm a republican at heart, but with Bush in power the pilots gave away a lot in bankruptcy. With Obama in power, the bankruptcy court gave the GM United Auto Workers about 20% of the company. I don't think they would have gotten 20% of the company without a union?

Last edited:
Unions don't protect pilots from furlough. A good management team with vision and buisness savy have a chance. Anyone under the illusion that a union can avoid a furlough in tough economic times or national crisis ( 9/11 ), are clearly misinformrd.
Anyone who thinks the UAL union didn't set the stage for UAL's failure is ignorant of the facts.

I have definitely received a return on my investment. ...

I'm glad ALPA has a couple fans. John Prater is another one that has received an ROI (Did he help bring back CAL, with their scabs, into the fold of dues members in good standing? Did that dues tsunami into ALPA coffers have anything to do with his meteoric rise to king of the hill? Things that make ya go hmmm.)

For every pilot that applauds ALPA you can find 20 that have seen the light. ALAP sits over numerous competing pilot groups with conflicting agendas. Its little more than a self confessed ponzi scheme that pats itself on the back when it "succeeds" and belittles pilots when "the pilots fail". Just ask Rez and PCL who is to blame.

Anyone who thinks the UAL union didn't set the stage for UAL's failure is ignorant of the facts.

Sorry but you are misinformed poor management started with Steve Wolf and continued for years until Glen Tilton. Greedy management along with poor business decisions caused UAL to faulter. Now with CAL I think they will once again become a power house. The management is the key.

We would all be better off if we had the same representation. It's the only chance we have against whipsawing each other. US Air guys are pissed at ALPA but what nearly destroyed your company and the lifestyle of many airline pilots? Poor management, yes, but mainly competition from non-ALPA carriers who undercut the prevailing wages of the time in the name of making their carriers "low cost". We'd all be better off on the same team fighting to bring this career back to where it should be.

Last edited:
So, what happens next for the guys/gals at jetBlue? What's the next step? Any idea how long before management try to play the various different work groups against the pilot corps?

Latest resources

Back