Is Delta going to Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ifly90

I've got a friend over there who just went back at the end of last year. Have not been able to get a hold of him yet. Anyone know what the deal is over there? I'm thinking they have enough guys leaving to offset any downsizing.

ifly90 said:
I've got a friend over there who just went back at the end of last year. Have not been able to get a hold of him yet. Anyone know what the deal is over there? I'm thinking they have enough guys leaving to offset any downsizing.

I have a few DAL buddies and they agree that it is too early to tell. Keep in mind that something like 2,500 Captains have already retired and DAL training is in overdrive to fill all of the slots. If aircraft are withdrawn, they would probably be withdrawn in phases - although the Fall would be a good time to do it as pax levels decline after the summer rush. There are also something like 300 already-retired pilots who have agreed to work for DAL during the training transition period.

Evidently Grinstein has mentioned that capacity will be reduced (probably the 767-200s to Airborne, the 737-200s and maybe some of the 737-300s). The question is the timing of the phase out...

Apparently the 75 or so planes they intend to sell or park (732s, 733s, 762s) have been accounted for in the bids, and as long as the lessors don't take extra planes that Delta thought they would keep, they shouldn't have to furlough. If the lessors take extra planes, then maybe furloughs will happen. It helps when 2500 Captains leave in 15 months. Now, I bet there will be some stew furloughs unfortunately, because none of them ever retire, and we are parking some planes.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Now if we can get the PRPs to go home, some of us furloughees can COME BACK TO WORK! Myself being one of them

dtfl said:
Now if we can get the PRPs to go home, some of us furloughees can COME BACK TO WORK! Myself being one of them

They will eventually. I think there are 187 or so. We want YOU back, and TBKANE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
We want YOU back, and TBKANE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think you will see Jesus return before TBKANE.

If 2500 Capts. have retired shouldn't DAL almost be looking at hiring, not furloughing further??

Dizel8 said:
If 2500 Capts. have retired shouldn't DAL almost be looking at hiring, not furloughing further??

Well, yes, but they seem to have known what was going to happen if we had to go to court. They were only recalling 10 a month, so I think they might have known that they were going to park 75 mainline jets also. Grinstein just stated last week that we were eventually going to get a new 100 seat airplane at mainline (maybe the E190), and hopefully before then we can get the furloughs back and maybe someday start hiring again.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Wish they hadn't stopped production of the Boeing 717. The E-Jets are nice... but they're not THAT nice.

A fleet of Douglas Racers would've looked good in Delta colors. Maybe they'd even paint one in the original paintjobs that Delta used on the 9's (with the sideways Widget). That would be sexy.

General Lee said:
Grinstein just stated last week that we were eventually going to get a new 100 seat airplane at mainline (maybe the E190), and hopefully before then we can get the furloughs back and maybe someday start hiring again.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Ginstein stated this week in his lounge tour that their would be more furloughs. He would not commit to any numbers though.

Latest resources

Back