Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ALPA Really Going To Allow This To Happen At UAL??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I say its time for the big guns.

SOS. All alpa carriers and support for non-alpa carriers who wish to jump on the bandwagon.

If this is not a reason for SOS then nothing is.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they filed BR again, in this economy, there's a very real chance they could end up liquidating. NOT a good scenario, and I doubt they'd try it.

Easier to scare the crap out of the pilots and gamble that they'll give more back to get that Scope back. Just hope the pilot group is smart enough to see through it...

What a crazy career... who'd have thought 20 years ago it would come to this? :(

Very Valid points not to mention this has already been tried and is successful.. Open Skies airline has bypassed BALPA. They fly 757s across the Atlantic without British Airways pilots.

This is now a shot directly across OUR bow. The implications are far reaching. This is not just about UAL, everyone from AA to SWA better watch this, it will impact all of us.

AA

It was a shot across our bow when BA did it last year..... UAL pilots picketed at IAD in support of the BALPA pilots....

Yes this is a codeshare. You are correct. I work for a carrier that UAL codeshares with also.

Respectfully, a codeshare is when two airlines share marketing and flights, such as LH and UA.

If you are a vendor that provides lift for UAL, then the chances are you are ALPA or IBT. Even if you are Skywest, will you picket with the UAL guys?

Ok you have your history with ALPA and I have mine. I do belive we could be doing just as well in house as is being shown at SW and AA. All that is niether here nor there. If you are right and ALPA is the best way forward then great, I would love to be wrong. In my opinion they , ALPA, are in bed with to many pilot groups that do not have our best intrest in mind. All this has been hashed through before. In the end it is the pilot group themselves that will make it or not. The tie tack is not relevant. For this season I laugh at the excitement the tranny folks on here have for ALPA. If the pilot group stays the same so will the result.

With that said good luck to us both going forward. Strap in it's going to be a wild ride.

SWAPA and the APA have very limited international connections and networks... heck, they have limited national networks

This is an international issue with Aer Lingus. UALPA, BALPA and the Irish pilots are part of IFALPA... In addition, recall the UAL and Aer Lingus have already signed a protocol agreement. As did the DAL pilots and AF pilots.

Respectfully, you are really showing your lack of knowledge on how ALPA is connected internationally with ICAO and IFALPA. The Deputy President to IFALPA is a UAL pilot.....

Suggesting that SWAPA or the APA are just as good for complex international issues is like asking a Texas Good Ol' Boy to give you a eloquent historical tour of Roma.

It was a shot across our bow when BA did it last year..... UAL pilots picketed at IAD in support of the BALPA pilots....

Yes it was a shot across our bow.. I should have placed that comment in my last post.

So what did the picketing accomplish? I see Open Skies jets at JFK every time I depart for Europe.

APA was also in communication with BALPA, as both groups are part of the Oneworld pilot coalition which correspond regularly.

The fact that ALPA has so many connections on the domestic and International front does not mean much if nothing is accomplished to preserve our career.

AAflyer

However ALPAs (Praters) connections domestically certainly helped speed up age 65.Ya, good for you. :smash:

Last edited:
Yes it was a shot across our bow.. I should have placed that comment in my last post.

So what did the picketing accomplish? I see Open Skies jets at JFK every time I depart for Europe.

APA was also in communication with BALPA, as both groups are part of the Oneworld pilot coalition which correspond regularly.

The fact that ALPA has so many connections on the domestic and International front does not mean much if nothing is accomplished to preserve our career.

AAflyer

However ALPAs (Praters) connections domestically certainly helped speed up age 65.Ya, good for you. :smash:

How about an attitude change? Instead of being so adversarial, why not call your APA leadership and tell them to work with ALPA, BALPA and Aer Lingus pilots to form a coalition.

The more picketing and demonstrations we do, the more press we will get.....

How about an attitude change? Instead of being so adversarial, why not call your APA leadership and tell them to work with ALPA, BALPA and Aer Lingus pilots to form a coalition.

The more picketing and demonstrations we do, the more press we will get.....

Hey Rez,

I know this sounds crazy, however I am actually on your side. We are BOTH union pilots. I have been to all major events that APA asked of me. I was initially a domicile SPC coordinator. I now perform my volunteer work for Aeromedical.

I am not kidding when I say we are all in this together, and yes we better communicate with BALPA, and we need to have a better relationship with ALPA, our futures are more tied than you may think.

I was ALPA at two prior airlines, I am not an ALPA basher, I see it's faults on a national level, and why individual groups can sink it on a local level.

APA has its own dysfunctionality, however it is my union, and they speak for me. I would not hesitate to nationally picket with ANY ALPA pilot group. I truly do not see us going back to ALPA, nor do I see SWAPA or IPA doing that as well, however we can form closer relationships.

I admire the effort you put forth, and unfortunately some comments can not be seen for humorous jabs that are intended.

Regards

AAflyer

P.S. Truly Rez, I am not your enemy...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back