Irony

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crew Reductions Math

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that NJI lost 16% of it's Pilots and 18.3% of it's Flight Attendants through the voluntary early-out process vs. 5.7% and 4.2% at NJA.
This suggests to me that NJI is closer to being 'right-sized' than NJA so further involuntary reductions may have to impact NJA more than NJI.
What is the flaw in this thinking?

YE, the company has agreed to the VSL and would furlough by reverse seniority. Your logic would also apply to different fleets within NJA or NJI as well. It makes more sense to furlough the majority from a dying fleet like the Ultra, but many junior folks were hired into the newer fleets-Sovereign and Excell. Any furlough will wrong size a segment or two, while right sizing the overall company, if that's what they decide. Reverse seniority is the only fair way.

FWIW, another pilot flew the new boss recently, and was told pilots were not the problem. I don't believe we will furlough any more today than I did 6 months ago. Too costly to recover the costs of all the training and retraining associated with all the different types we fly. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Just talked to a sales rep the other day. All I can say on this board is that sales are increasing, and people leaving due to the economy are decreasing.

I have heard the same... and then some:cool:

Prospects available resources are stabilizing and they are seeing this as an opportune time to make a purchase.

I'm not saying that the recession is over... but it could be over tomorrow.

I'm not saying that the recession is over... but it could be over tomorrow.

And Iran is going to open a chain of Prissy Polly BBQ Pork stands in Tehran.

Look, I'm not trying to piss on the birthday cake... But when the 20 gazillion dollars we just spent has to get paid back and inflation takes over?

Yeah.. its going to be worse than it has the last 13 months. Whats really changed again? Nothing other than the Government printing money it cant backup.

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that NJI lost 16% of it's Pilots and 18.3% of it's Flight Attendants through the voluntary early-out process vs. 5.7% and 4.2% at NJA.
This suggests to me that NJI is closer to being 'right-sized' than NJA so further involuntary reductions may have to impact NJA more than NJI.
What is the flaw in this thinking?

It would depend on how overstaffed NJI and NJA were. If NJI were more overstaffed than NJA, then even with a larger reduction (by percentage) NJA may be closer to being right-sized. You assume both were equally overstaffed (by percentage).

I agree with this. I've said this before and I'll say it again; with pilots its about numbers not money. If you have x number of planes (demand), you need x number of pilots. Reducing pilot pay does nothing for the company.

I have to agree with both of you. On the airline side we negotiated pay cuts to "save jobs" (quote from management). The next day they laid off anyway, gave themselves bonuses for the savings from the paycuts, and laughed at us while giving us the one finger salute. X amount of demand equals X amount of pilots needed.

Normal protocol for corporate downsizing. Get the managers to fire the workers then get the VPs to fire the managers. That way everyone's hands get dirty.

That sounds about right. The managers often know in advance that their positions are going away. They are offered a package if they stay until a certain date. This allows them to be there to cull the rest of the herd. My wife's last company did that.

Latest resources

Back