Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting Article about SWA from Motley Fool....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mmmmmmm. Kansas City steak soup is the best.

Yep- steak soup is a meal- combine it w/ the steak salad and you don't have to eat for 2 days- love it- though I wish we were in town

That's great for you! Most people prefer anywhere else.

Bye Bye---General Lee
I am truly lucky, because everyday for me is a happy day. And every night in AMA, rare, is better than a night in LRD, DRT, MFE, or BRO. Although many of these have great places to eat, like Taco Noches, Whataburger, and Cub's Cafeteria

Yep- steak soup is a meal- combine it w/ the steak salad and you don't have to eat for 2 days- love it- though I wish we were in town

I agree-- I was gonna' plug the steak salad as well. I also liked the Westin we used to have for long layovers. It was right across from Union Station, and Jack's Stack BBQ, and next door to the National WWI Memorial and the mall. Ah well, hotels rotate, and maybe we'll be back there again some day.

Bubba

You know, you keep harping on variety, and it seems to me that compared to most other airlines, Southwest pilots have a greater variety (at least in numbers of places). Since all of our planes are the same, ANY of our pilots can layover in ANY of our destinations, if he or she pleases. I don't think that's true at other airlines. I got a buddy at AA who used to fly 757/767 out of LAX. The only places he went were MIA or JFK (each for the night, and return the next day), or a DFW turn. Three cities (and only two for layovers) sounds pretty boring to me. Now he does 757/767 Intl out of New York, and says there's about 12-15 places he can layover. I wasn't a math major, but I think that's a little less than the 75 or so Southwest layover choices (and growing as Airtran cities become assimilated). I dunno... I'm sure your Delta math works a little different, you guys all being college graduates and all. I suppose at Delta, you can personally pick any Delta city in the world to fly to on a weekly basis, no matter what equipment you fly, right?

And you should enjoy your "Soutwest flies to LBB" while you can, General, since international is on the way. Now, the plan is international even before Hawaii. Plus, Gary wants to hit central and South America in the worst way, so those Rio overnights may not be too far off. We'll let you know how they turn out, General! :)

Bubba

PS Personally, I like the steaks (and BBQ) in MCI better than AMA.

Wow, you will get to go to Central Anerica from Houston? That will be a lot of fun for you. Tell me how your Bogota layovers are, can't wait. I do like your attempt at trying to paint a picture of variety into your own job, when mostly you have 25 minutes at most at each stop before ending up at a layover for some "steak soup.". Keep trying to convince everyone a LCC has more variety than a legacy. Your friend in NYC on the 757/767 doesn't have to stay on that plane like you do, he is free to change and try something different when he wants a change of scenery. Sorry, if you truly want variety, a mainly domestic LCC with one fleet type isn't the place to go. Good luck with future Central America and maybe Hawaii service.

Bye Bye---General Lee

One concept that I haven't seen mentioned is STABILITY. I've done the Bogota thing, the Europe thing, and the domestic U.S. thing. More or less a layover is a layover and it can be great or bad mostly based on yourself. But while SWA pay used to be mediocre to good and now is great (relatively speaking) two things seem to stand out for those guy - they mostly ENJOY working for their company, and they have enjoyed phenomenal STABILITY. No furloughs. Ever. No rocket rides (like the late 90s UAL pay rates)to the moon, but no crashes into the dirt (a host of other airlines).

I'd swap Bogota or London for stability and joy/pride in my company/employees...in a heartbeat.

One concept that I haven't seen mentioned is STABILITY. I've done the Bogota thing, the Europe thing, and the domestic U.S. thing. More or less a layover is a layover and it can be great or bad mostly based on yourself. But while SWA pay used to be mediocre to good and now is great (relatively speaking) two things seem to stand out for those guy - they mostly ENJOY working for their company, and they have enjoyed phenomenal STABILITY. No furloughs. Ever. No rocket rides (like the late 90s UAL pay rates)to the moon, but no crashes into the dirt (a host of other airlines).

I'd swap Bogota or London for stability and joy/pride in my company/employees...in a heartbeat.

To add to your thought...

Every airline from the 80's has either gone away, or gone through bankruptcy......except for one. And their balance sheet is still better than most.

To add to that thought:

Most of those had a first 40 years that were pretty good. Thats about where the game changes...

Wow, you will get to go to Central Anerica from Houston? That will be a lot of fun for you. Tell me how your Bogota layovers are, can't wait. I do like your attempt at trying to paint a picture of variety into your own job, when mostly you have 25 minutes at most at each stop before ending up at a layover for some "steak soup.". Keep trying to convince everyone a LCC has more variety than a legacy. Your friend in NYC on the 757/767 doesn't have to stay on that plane like you do, he is free to change and try something different when he wants a change of scenery. Sorry, if you truly want variety, a mainly domestic LCC with one fleet type isn't the place to go. Good luck with future Central America and maybe Hawaii service.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I guess legacy airline pilots bid from equipment to equipment, with the resultant training cycles, just to get different layovers? Wow. Got it.

By the way, why did you put quotes around "steak soup" above, like it's not really steak soup? We were actually talking about honest-to-God, no-kidding soup. With pieces of steak in it. You know, mostly liquid food that you eat with a spoon from a bowl. It wasn't a code or anything. What kind of perverted sexual innuendo were you thinking of? What kind of "steak soup" do YOU get on your layovers, General? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bubba

To add to that thought:

Most of those had a first 40 years that were pretty good. Thats about where the game changes...

That's a good point, Flop, and thanks for bringing it up--because Southwest's first 40 years has been exactly the same as every other airline's first 40. I'm sure we're just about to go under.

Back to the layover-soup discussion! Omaha's Old Market has a place--Upstream Brewing--that has some tremendous soups as well.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back