Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting Article about SWA from Motley Fool....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great post whine- very very good.

And GL, what happens if we start doing one leg to Rio? What will your schtick be then?

The industry provides plenty of variety. We all make the best choices for ourselves at the time- and have very little control over what we become- thumping your chest over layovers is as silly today as it was 5 years ago-

But since we're doing our thing today- it is a shame that delta pilots who might enjoy a Missoula overnight can't do that, even though delta serves them... That's a great town, ever been? Too many sundaes to hike to the M? After the gf did contract work with the university for 3 months, I wish I had a job that would overnight there.

Like I said, great post whine, great post. Everyplace has something to offer if youre not boring.

Great post whine- very very good.

And GL, what happens if we start doing one leg to Rio? What will your schtick be then?

The industry provides plenty of variety. We all make the best choices for ourselves at the time- and have very little control over what we become- thumping your chest over layovers is as silly today as it was 5 years ago-

But since we're doing our thing today- it is a shame that delta pilots who might enjoy a Missoula overnight can't do that, even though delta serves them... That's a great town, ever been? Too many sundaes to hike to the M? After the gf did contract work with the university for 3 months, I wish I had a job that would overnight there.

Like I said, great post whine, great post. Everyplace has something to offer if youre not boring.

I'll throw in my two cents and I won't even mention warrior spirit! Supporting wave's post, I'll says who you are means a lot more than were you are. I've had layovers in more cities than I can count and have a lot great memories in all kinds of different places. Two of my favorites have been PDX (a SWA destination) and Sydney Australia. Osaka has been great because my daughter was doing a semester overseas there and JFK layovers are a blast. But the bottom line is your airline job should define how you live your life AWAY from work, it shouldn't define who you are.
Once again the whole "my airline can beat up your airline" crap is just that, crap. Does anyone on here ever judge someone in person by who they fly for??? Anyone who thinks what or who someone flies for defines them as somehow better than someone else at a different airline has serious issues.

I'll throw in my two cents and I won't even mention warrior spirit! Supporting wave's post, I'll says who you are means a lot more than were you are. I've had layovers in more cities than I can count and have a lot great memories in all kinds of different places. Two of my favorites have been PDX (a SWA destination) and Sydney Australia. Osaka has been great because my daughter was doing a semester overseas there and JFK layovers are a blast. But the bottom line is your airline job should define how you live your life AWAY from work, it shouldn't define who you are.
Once again the whole "my airline can beat up your airline" crap is just that, crap. Does anyone on here ever judge someone in person by who they fly for??? Anyone who thinks what or who someone flies for defines them as somehow better than someone else at a different airline has serious issues.

Dan,

That's not the issue. You could be silly happy by yourself in a bar in Amarillo and consider that a great layover (Wave and Red). The point I am making is that our airlines are different, and you just can't compare the variety in destinations and trips.

The SWA pilots have for the last decade compared their higher pay and QOL. The difference now is waning, and for future pilots and current junior SWA pilots looking to avoid stagnation, it may be worthwhile to consider other things, like variety of layover destinations and trips if they are interested in future hiring at legacies. Pay and benefits are rising, so many will be looking to better their situations. If they are looking for variety in aircraft types, trip lengths (1-12 day trips), and layover possibilities, they may want to consider looking into this. No issues, just facts Dan. You yourself just got the first couple destinations you might need to wear a jacket on your A330 (JFK and ICN in the Winter, besides past ANC charters on the 767). Variety in flying, planes and destinations, is more important to some people than you think. Only guys like Red and Wave don't seem to care whether they are in St Louis or Harlingen. Good for them. And Whine probably could have fun in a Juarez jail during a crazy El Paso layover. That guy is amazing.

Wave,

No, you likely won't be going to Rio anytime soon. You are way behind the pack going to Hawaii, and you just bumped an order for 30 738s. More Amarillo is likely in your and Red's immediate future. We have Airbus pilots and MD90 pilots laying over in MSO, BZN, GTF, JAC, BIL, etc in the Summer btw. That's great for them, and maybe someday I will go back, but now I prefer Germany and Japan. Variety is great.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Dan,

That's not the issue. You could be silly happy by yourself in a bar in Amarillo and consider that a great layover (Wave and Red). The point I am making is that our airlines are different, and you just can't compare the variety in destinations and trip
Hey I like AMA, great steaks there

That's great for you! Most people prefer anywhere else.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Haha. General, everytime you open your hole you make yourself look more and more like an idiot. The funny thing is that everyone on the board sees it, from the Regionals, to the LCC, to the Major threads. Everyone sees it, except YOU! Hilarious.

Keep talking. PLEASE!

That's great for you! Most people prefer anywhere else.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You know, you keep harping on variety, and it seems to me that compared to most other airlines, Southwest pilots have a greater variety (at least in numbers of places). Since all of our planes are the same, ANY of our pilots can layover in ANY of our destinations, if he or she pleases. I don't think that's true at other airlines. I got a buddy at AA who used to fly 757/767 out of LAX. The only places he went were MIA or JFK (each for the night, and return the next day), or a DFW turn. Three cities (and only two for layovers) sounds pretty boring to me. Now he does 757/767 Intl out of New York, and says there's about 12-15 places he can layover. I wasn't a math major, but I think that's a little less than the 75 or so Southwest layover choices (and growing as Airtran cities become assimilated). I dunno... I'm sure your Delta math works a little different, you guys all being college graduates and all. I suppose at Delta, you can personally pick any Delta city in the world to fly to on a weekly basis, no matter what equipment you fly, right?

And you should enjoy your "Soutwest flies to LBB" while you can, General, since international is on the way. Now, the plan is international even before Hawaii. Plus, Gary wants to hit central and South America in the worst way, so those Rio overnights may not be too far off. We'll let you know how they turn out, General! :)

Bubba

PS Personally, I like the steaks (and BBQ) in MCI better than AMA.

What if the variety I was looking for was not hubbing and spoking and keeping my sleep schedule consistent staying in the same time zone? Wouldn't Swa be a better fit than delta?
Bc my friends there do 4 day trips domestically that start late and end early- flipping their sleep schedule and leave them pretty fatigued- kind of a throw away day on day 5 at home.

I don't knock the delta career. I knock the pilot group for outsourcing way too much- but the career is great if youre into the legacy hub and spoke flying. Ive done that on the pre 9/11 contracts and life was really good. But Swa is a better fit for me than delta even if comparing just the domestic ops that I like most.

Why can't that be enough for you GL?

Latest resources

Back