• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm Here Doing It...at Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
IHDI, That pretty much sums up my feelings about Flexjet. I'm still very happy with my situation. C425, how come I don't run into you in the FBOs? I keep asking about you and a lot of guys know you. Glad they're still treating you well over there! Fly safe!

Just curious, not trying to start trouble. How do you log time as an SIC in an airplane that is certified single pilot?

Just curious, not trying to start trouble. How do you log time as an SIC in an airplane that is certified single pilot?
Part 135 carrying passengers.

A 135 aircraft in passenger operations has to have an approved autopilot. In lieu of an approved autopilot, a certificate holder may be authorized to fly with an SIC (waiver for SIC in lieu of approved autopilot - pretty common waiver).

The SIC is, therefore, authorized to log SIC time in an aircraft that, per its certification, does not require an SIC, simply because the FAA, in that particular operation, DOES require one, making them a required crewmember.

That's how many people log SIC in a Twin Piston, or Turboprop (Aztec, King Air, etc) as well. The aircraft themselves don't need an SIC, but one was required when flying passengers for hire in Part 135 ops.

I'm not certain if Part 91k has the same requirements...

If I'm not mistaken, if the op specs call for an SIC, then an actual, acting SIC there will be, with all the logging privilages and rights afforded thereto. Aircraft certification requirements: N/A.

Are you referring to the extra 650.00 bucks overtime for going home the next morning after most likely sleeping in a Hilton bed, collecting points and pocketing the miles on the way home? It's all in how you perceive your situation. And I am married.
Dont embelish its more than likely a Holiday Inn bed... but still a decent deal.

C425, how come I don't run into you in the FBOs? I keep asking about you and a lot of guys know you. Glad they're still treating you well over there! Fly safe!

Don't know - are you hanging out at the respectable FBO's? If so, they stopped letting me in the door a long time ago!

If I'm not mistaken, if the op specs call for an SIC, then an actual, acting SIC there will be, with all the logging privilages and rights afforded thereto. Aircraft certification requirements: N/A.
That's the point I was making.

The only time you'll get an Ops Specs issued that requires an SIC in an aircraft that's not certified for it (from my recollection) is:

Turbojet 135 under 12,500 pounds (Citation).
No functioning autopilot or one not certified to do coupled approaches if you're trying to get approved for passenger-carrying Part 135 operations.

Otherwise, the FAA has no reason to issue an Ops Specs requiring an SIC if your aircraft doesn't need one to meet the requirements of Part 135.

I'm not familiar with trying to run a Part 121 operation in a small, non-turbojet aircraft, but I imagine their Autopilot/Ops Specs requirements would be the same. However, if the legislation passes, it'll be a moot point in terms of this discussion, as there will be no reason to take the job just to get the ATP since the ATP would be required to get the job, anyway.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back