• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm Here Doing It...at Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A second in command is required for all IFR part 135 passenger carrying operations regardless of aircraft. However, an auotpilot may be used in place of the second in command under certain circumstances (see below). An Op Spec does not have d to be issued to authorize a second in command, it is the other way around. An OpSpec has to be issued to NOT have a second in command. At my company, we operate BE58's under this OpSpec. If our autopilot breaks, we can MEL it temporarily, but we either have to fly VFR or we have to put another qualified pilot in the right seat.

§ 135.101 Second in command required under IFR.

Except as provided in §135.105, no person may operate an aircraft carrying passengers under IFR unless there is a second in command in the aircraft.

§ 135.105 Exception to second in command requirement: Approval for use of autopilot system.

(a) Except as provided in §§135.99 and 135.111, unless two pilots are required by this chapter for operations under VFR, a person may operate an aircraft without a second in command, if it is equipped with an operative approved autopilot system and the use of that system is authorized by appropriate operations specifications. No certificate holder may use any person, nor may any person serve, as a pilot in command under this section of an aircraft operated in a commuter operation, as defined in part 119 of this chapter unless that person has at least 100 hours pilot in command flight time in the make and model of aircraft to be flown and has met all other applicable requirements of this part.
(b) The certificate holder may apply for an amendment of its operations specifications to authorize the use of an autopilot system in place of a second in command.
(c) The Administrator issues an amendment to the operations specifications authorizing the use of an autopilot system, in place of a second in command, if—
(1) The autopilot is capable of operating the aircraft controls to maintain flight and maneuver it about the three axes; and
(2) The certificate holder shows, to the satisfaction of the Administrator, that operations using the autopilot system can be conducted safely and in compliance with this part.
The amendment contains any conditions or limitations on the use of the autopilot system that the Administrator determines are needed in the interest of safety.

A second in command is required for all IFR part 135 passenger carrying operations regardless of aircraft. However, an auotpilot may be used in place of the second in command under certain circumstances (see below).

Thank you. There is no Op Spec that says a single pilot aircraft needs two pilots, it is the oposite, you need the op spec (A015) to allow a single pilot to fly an aircraft 135. That M Spec is not available for 91K

The retired DAL captain I flew with this week made 306K his last year on the line in 2001 flying the 767-400.

Now that was money.

25K a month.

And yes... you are just as worth it now as he was then to make that money.

A second in command is required for all IFR part 135 passenger carrying operations regardless of aircraft. However, an auotpilot may be used in place of the second in command under certain circumstances (see below). An Op Spec does not have d to be issued to authorize a second in command, it is the other way around. An OpSpec has to be issued to NOT have a second in command.
That's what I meant, I just worded it poorly.

Thanks for the clarification with FAR references...

Also, if the operator has Ops Spec A057 Eligible On-Demand Operations in accordance with 135.4, two pilots are required regardless of aircraft certification.

The retired DAL captain I flew with this week made 306K his last year on the line in 2001 flying the 767-400.

Now that was money.

25K a month.

And yes... you are just as worth it now as he was then to make that money.

If he made all that money what is he doing flying with you now?
For how much a month?

Some people just want to fly... I can imagine at 60, kids grown and out of the house, etc, there's only so much vacationing or fishing you can do before you're ready to be back in the air.

Some people just want to fly... I can imagine at 60, kids grown and out of the house, etc, there's only so much vacationing or fishing you can do before you're ready to be back in the air.

Great point. At 42 (ouch) I'm in top physical condition, and if everything goes as planned I plan on flying (professionally, for Avantair if they'll let me linger for that long) well into my 60's before hanging up my wings. Riding a rocking chair into my grave just doesn't work for me.

Well, I'll probably be doing the same thing, just not for Avantair. Got the "Thanks but no thanks" email today.

AirTran has really screwed me over, haven't been able to even get an interview for years...

Oh well, you guys and gals have fun over there! :)

Latest resources

Back