Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm getting Furloughed From TSA & I'm thinking Go Jet.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dear flyinsick,
First lesson in this airline business: let no one and I mean no-one tell you how to eat, who to feed, and for sure where to eat. I have flown for the best and the worst, from freight to pax, for civilian and for gov't. If you haven't noticed, your colleagues at TSA are rudderless. There union miss calculated and Hulas made a business decision. Just like Delta (my pension). ************************* is about to announce a major move (blessed only by UAL). If you want to take control of your life and your destiny do what your heart tells you. Negative emotions are useless. TSA spin is in a nose dive. This is not the place to get reliable information on what you seek. First; the next time you take a leak confirm your manhood, then go and ask the chief-pilot what you want to know. Second; tune out your current colleagues. Good luck!

1. If your thinking about any job you should apply get the interview and if you then get an offer make your decision. There is no way I would make a decision base on what you have heard on FI. I will tell you right now that Go Jet has filled all of it Ground school class for July, Aug. and hiring for a pool of Sept. classes, so if you need a job right now you might think of going some where else because you probably wont be in ground school tell sept. But on the other hand there is a large amount of growth coming to Go Jet even for other carriers which is going to be announced in the next few weeks.

2. Go Jet is not the cause of the current furloughs at tsa; the airplanes that are being parked are the planes that use to be on the US Airways contract. When it went away TSA tried to get a fee for departure contract with united, but the best united offer was out station point to point which has made no money for TSA. Hence parking airplanes = furloughs.

3. Go Jet is not taking over any of TSA United flying Go Jet contract is a ten year fee for departure contract. All Go Jet plane must fly in united hub system, SAT-DEN, SAT-ORD and SAT-IAD. Example of TSA contract for left over US Airways airplane was SAT-TUL, STL-SAT which was on a month to month lease of out station flying.

4. Currently Go Jet has been a great place to work great people our lower management is great, schedules here have come along way in the past 3 months, my current schedule for July is 16 days off 3 four day 1 three day trips with block credit value of 82 hours. 90% of our union contract has already been TA with most of our work rule coming from horizons contract.

Sorry to hear about furloughs, I have been through many my self it never Fun best of luck to all.
Hope this info helps
Swordfish

Amish RakeFight said:
Can you elaborate more on this. How much do you get and what generally qualifies one for such assistance. Unemployment checks aside, if you're furloughed you can get a type rating on Uncle Sam?

Thanks.

It differs from state to state. In Michigan you can not get assistance for a type rating (they don't consider it a good use of their money). My Aunt is the CEO for South Central Michigan Works so I spoke to her about it in detail when I was furloughed. She pointed me in the right direction to collect unemployment but said she couldn't help me with the type rating. On the other hand she said that if I wanted to take nursing classes at the local JC or truck driving classes she could probably help me out (I'm not joking).

swordfish your my hero. I am so happy you are having such a good life there. HK owns TSA... we are getting screwed, well guess what buddy, your going to see the same thing at Go-jets when you stop growing, have a great career.

flyinsick said:
Any ideas? I have not made up my mind yet. I'd like TSA to give me the option so I can at least think about it. Go Jets is not the entire reason TSA is having trouble, wonder if United could see this coming? I need to stay in St. Louis, any ideas how long these furloughs will last?

Looks like you won't be commuting.....good thing.

I think that in away this is a good place to get some, not all, advice. Before I started reading forums I didn't know anything about any of the regionals. If I would have listend to them more carefully I wouldn't have choosen TSA. But I did and I live with it. Infact if I woulda known about some of these boards before I went to the flight school I choose I prolly would have gone somwhere else. But I did and that my life and not the point.

The point Im trying to make is look how people are reacting to just the thought of you saying you want to go to GJ. It's the same attitude that you are going to recieve as a GJ pilot out in the real world. And sure its going to help you advance to a major but you are going to always have the fact that you are a GJ pilot looming over you in the interview. No it might not be an issue but then again it might. Only time can tell that but wouldnt it suck to not be hired just because of a previous employer. I am assuming you cant STL because of family? Well I know plenty of people with other airlines that cant leave Florida because of family so they commute to EWR, ATL, ORD, DTW, and etc.

GJ guys will get what's coming to them in the near future because there's no way HK will ever play nice with a labor group. If you do go to GJ, enjoy not getting block or better while sitting on the taxiway at ORD. And don't be like the one GJ pilot I saw walking through the terminal at ORD with no hat on, ID hidden, and wings pulled off his jacket.

You'd be much better off instructing for a few more months and then trying to go to Chautauqua and getting STL based.

I got the call for the furlough as well today. I AM NOT GOING TO BLOWJETS. I am unsure what I am going to do, but that is not it. I was thinking about it though and then wreek havoc at that airline, get wasted on all the overnights and run around the hotel, general mayhem. I am not going there however. I think express jet if I can get an interview.

rjacobs said:
I got the call for the furlough as well today. I AM NOT GOING TO BLOWJETS. I am unsure what I am going to do, but that is not it. I was thinking about it though and then wreek havoc at that airline, get wasted on all the overnights and run around the hotel, general mayhem. I am not going there however. I think express jet if I can get an interview.

Well I would not recommend going to *************************. Skywest is hiring like crazy right now...19 planes by December (700 and 900's).

If you don't have enough time that says enough in itself...you need to go instruct or fly some 135 and get a quality job...leave G0Jet's for the losers.

Latest resources

Back