• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If I wanted to phase out ASA....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not a SKyWest pilot nor employee nor involved in the airline industry.

I didn't pose this as a wish but as a possibility of SkyWest Inc.'s course of action. I was wondering if there was some provision that would prevent this from happening.

This scenario does not involve 1700 pilots losing their jobs. It involves jobs going away (or more accurately to SkyWest Airlines) once vacated.

Now would you care to discuss the merits or deficiencies of the scenario without the emotion?

Andy, if you are not a SkyWest pilot, and don't even work in the industry, then
1.) Why do you care? and
2.) Why should we be interested in your opinion?

If you're not a party to the discussion, then you're only raising the issue to stir up trouble. The fact that you lied by omission when you said you're not with SkyWest only further undermines your credibility because you left out that you used to be a SKW employee. I'm sure you still have friends there and may even own stock. Surely you have SOME interest in seeing ASA go away. I have news. We ASA pilots are sick and tired of seeing SkyWest employees gleefully plotting the demise of our company.

How about this? Since ASA is more profitable than SkyWest Airlines, maybe they're going to phase out SkyWest in the same fashion you mention? That could be why BH is here. They will phase out SkyWest Airlines, then change the name of ASA to SkyWest. Really, I think this scenario is much more likely since SkyWest Airlines is a minor player in a minor DCI hub, and ASA has the infrastructure in Delta's largest hub, and is wildly profitable despite mismanagement. Not to mention that UAL just dropped the no complete clause. ASA could do it all. We could make crazy money if streamlined. Think about it. I say SkyWest is history. But don't worry, our union will give your pilots preferential hiring.

That you ask for an unemotional debate on this topic is laughable. So is you saying you "don't want to debate the pros and cons".

So basically, you're just another Flightinfo prophet expressing his opinion, and passing it off as fact.

Nothing to see here folks... move along.

While there are those that strongly prefer a unionized operation, I think if it were a choice of SkyWest or nothing (or some undesireable union operations) they would choose SkyWest.

Skywest or nothing? Are you kidding? These days a pilot can pick and choose which airline he wants to go to. Some are even offering a signing bonus. He can even go to Netjets, live where he wants, and start out making $40K more than at any regional. I think the days "skywest or nothing" are history.

....and as one operation decreases in efficiencies of scale, the other side benefits so I see this as a wash. When the overhead gets to be too much, then it's time to merge into one HQ.

The way I understand it, the costs increase more rapidly when losing aircraft than the benefit of adding airframes therefore negating the "wash" you mention.

I missed your point on this one. SkyWest Inc had positive earnings surprises on the last quarter and the one before that. Are you talking about three quarters ago?

Originally, Inc. said they were taking 12 of our 700's. When they realized how expensive this was becoming, the transfer came to an ubrupt stop. They stopped the transfer at 4 airframes. That was the last quarter of '06. The next earnings report stated that they still made money, but missed expectations due to several reasons, one being the transfer of assets from ASA to skyw.

As previously mentioned, our contract only allows 5 aircraft in a 12 month period to be tranferred to SkyW. Its a 3 year contract so they can transfer 15 aircraft before our next contract. At that point, I would imagine we would do everything possible to tighten up scope to prevent the remainder of our airline to be transferred to our non union counterparts.

just my $.02

Last edited:
We ASA pilots are sick and tired of seeing SkyWest employees gleefully plotting the demise of our company.

You make a point here for why SkyWest could be absorbed into ASA. I don't think that will happen, but I like your thought process of your arguments for your point of view.

FYI, I really respect you ASA guys greatly, and I'm glad that your long wait for a contract is over. Most of us SkyWest guys are not evil. Alot of us truly care about others and want to see all of us succeed.

I must say it is ironic though that you say you are tired of the SkyWest pilots plotting the demise of ASA when your post clearly is plotting the demise of SkyWest. Kind of tough to be angry at someone when you're doing the same thing.

We all just do our jobs the best we can, in the peice of the DCI pie that's ours fly.

Respectfully,
C27

I must say it is ironic though that you say you are tired of the SkyWest pilots plotting the demise of ASA when your post clearly is plotting the demise of SkyWest. Kind of tough to be angry at someone when you're doing the same thing.

We all just do our jobs the best we can, in the peice of the DCI pie that's ours fly.

Respectfully,
C27

Irionic isn't it? As Bob Dylan says, "How does it feel"?

Irionic isn't it? As Bob Dylan says, "How does it feel"?

Nice reply. Great me-first attitude. Great speeelinng of ironic. Not sure what "Iriony" is...

I mean no dis-respect, but did you get the point of my argument at all? Do you understand what irony is? So in a nutshell, you're saying it's okay for you as an ASA pilot to knock on us, but not okay for us to knock on you. Now, I would never knock on you...as I said before I respect the ASA pilot group greatly. I just find your post here and attitude on this matter a little hypocritical. Do you not see that?

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along?"

C27

Nice reply. Great me-first attitude. Great speeelinng of ironic.

I mean no dis-respect, but did you get the point of my argument at all? Do you understand what irony is? So in a nutshell, you're saying it's okay for you as an ASA pilot to knock on us, but not okay for us to knock on you. Now, I would never knock on you...as I said before I respect the ASA pilot group greatly. I just find your post here and attitude on this matter a little hypocritical. Do you not see that?

In the immortal words of Rodney King, "Why can't we all just get along?"

C27

I see that you're new here as of this month. If you want to understand why I'm acting this way, do a search and read a little of the discussion's history on this site. Ever since SkyWest, Inc. acquired us, your fellow pilots have been telling us how ASA is history, we'll be stapled to their list, etc.

I would submit that you should quietly learn a little of the history of this site before you jump right in and make an ass of yourself.

If I was a SkyWest executive that was tasked with phasing out ASA [and I'll leave out all the arguments pro and con about that decision], this is how I would do it.

I would appoint a executive level flight instructor as president of the company.

The good new is that Brad is small enough to play the roll of puppet president for Jerry and Chip.

He is a good descent guy but he will not be the acting president of ASA. Jerry and Chip will be pulling the strings and Brad will sign the paper work handed to him. Brad is a flight instructor and a very, very loyal guy and he will do what the elders want him to do with out question or consideration.

Skywest, Inc BOD would never sign off an appointment to the president a CFI/CFII/MEI/ATP/CRJ900/700/200/VPFO unless he is equipped with some very long and tight strings and they were sure he understood he has little to no discresion.

Y'all may remember me saying that Brian was the most under qualified CEO in the history of the airlines. Well apparently they managed to top him!

Latest resources

Back