• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If I hear one more "brief"...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm in the jumpseat out of ORD a couple of days ago. RWYs 32L, 4L, and 9R are in use. The captain briefs two possible routings for each runway!!! I could tell that the FO stopped listening halfway thru the briefing. When they get the taxi clearance, the captain guns the engines, and darts across two taxiways while the FO finishes reading it back. The FO writes down the clearance and then traces it on the 20-9 with his finger. Now, who is the safer pilot?

I'm in the jumpseat out of ORD a couple of days ago. RWYs 32L, 4L, and 9R are in use. The captain briefs two possible routings for each runway!!! I could tell that the FO stopped listening halfway thru the briefing. When they get the taxi clearance, the captain guns the engines, and darts across two taxiways while the FO finishes reading it back. The FO writes down the clearance and then traces it on the 20-9 with his finger. Now, who is the safer pilot?

The bottom line: don't cross or end up on a runway you're not supposed to be on, and don't hit anything. Something less than that might get you yelled at a little, but I'm over that.

Everyone is so darn smart....

...now I feel even more nervous to fly on the regionals. You guys are just fountains of knowledge and don't need anyone to tell you anything. This is like listening to high school kids.

at Spirit the PF has to transfer controls to the PM for the approach brief...approach lights and suspected taxi route after landing are all among the things that must be briefed, it takes a good 10 minutes to complete properly.

the takeoff briefing is equally painful and long...not complete unless you review the call outs, out loud, for a rejected takeoff.

at Spirit the PF has to transfer controls to the PM for the approach brief...approach lights and suspected taxi route after landing are all among the things that must be briefed, it takes a good 10 minutes to complete properly.

the takeoff briefing is equally painful and long...not complete unless you review the call outs, out loud, for a rejected takeoff.

That's what I don't get. Why should we review SOP every brief? I am totally on board with briefing things that may change the abort possibilities from normal, but briefing the same damn abort criteria every time is a bit excessive IMHO.

...now I feel even more nervous to fly on the regionals. You guys are just fountains of knowledge and don't need anyone to tell you anything. This is like listening to high school kids.

Because that is rational! Only about 10,000 regional flights depart every day, and there has been 1 or 2 accidents on a revenue flight in the past 5 or so years! What a horrible record the regionals have ACATerry! I'd be terrified!

1 or 2? Look again. And look at the circumstances...all avoidable if the self-righteous attitudes of knowitalls weren't there, they'd never happen. Gotta be cool. Gotta be liked. Gotta point out what everyone ELSE does wrong instead of realizing that any of you, me included, CAN be the next one to wreck a plane.
I'll take caution, humility and listen and learn from others. It's kept me alive this long. You guys keep bloating your egos and pointing out how awesome and cool you are. How you know more than your captains. The FAA. The NTSB. Maybe even the guy who fills the holes you put your planes in.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back