• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just venting.

I'll live.

Medeco,
I'm with you 100%. Why do guys still think they're briefing someone who is on new-hire IOE? I too can not stand that "Any questions"?
Yeah, here's a question, do you lack that much confidence in yourself?

And quit putting your stupid-ass lunch bag/laptop case in the middle of the cockpit floor, next time I'm gonna stomp on it on purpose.

because they have no piloting skills or knowledge and those clowns over at FSI pound into their heads that they have to brief every nitnoid little thing on the plate. I don't give a damn that there is a MALSIF II lighting system for a firggin' approach (don't even understand what that is!)... there will be some lights, 'nough said (if you even have to say that..which you don't).

This is not entirely true. I have done many briefings for the visual into ATL where I just brief the frequencies, our gate and verify the speeds are set. Several times the Captain, as if to make a point, takes it upon himself (which he has every right to) to start reading out the missed approach procedure, what kind of approach lighting there is at the airport, and all the obstacles around the airport we've flown in and out of since we began working at ASA---on a visual.

On a visual or an instrument, into ATL, your Missed App. Proc is going to be runway heading to 10K. On the visual into ATL I used to typically set 10K when I turned the AP off, because I figured if we had to go missed, 10K is likely where we'd end up. Then I had a few captains ask incredulously why we'd set 10 in the window and then they'd set 4K.

To each their own. But I wouldn't be quick to say the FOs who brief and set the instrument missed on a visual are doing so because they have "no piloting skills". More likely than not, they have the common sense, but have been shaped by all the different Captains they've been flying with.

Maybe "any questions?" is just a good way to say "I'm done with my brief"? I know I don't expect any questions, but I would like to let the FO know I am done and let's get on with the checklist please. People get worked up about the dumbest things. Maybe this should go in the #1 most stressful job thread.

I like the Captains that sit down with the FA in the back, pull out the tray table, lay the release on it and proceed with a thorough briefing. "Its been a while since we've gone over security so lets review that as well"

So since nobody seems to transfer the controls while briefing on the line, how come everybody seems to do it in the sims or on line checks?

If a highway patrol is cruising next to me down the highway, I will be driving the speed limit.

BINGO! I have yet to meet a "by the book" pilot who admits that they drive 55 MPH on 75 or 85 thru ATL....

Latest resources

Back