Hypocrisy at its finest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fletch717 said:
Vabb, I did'nt think you sat around that much on reserve at Gulfstream. I sure you are one of those guys who sends out a computer virus because its fun. Hey I've got an idea why don't you call the grocery store and ask them if they have sir walter raliegh in a can. You're so cool

That would be Prince Albert in a can. :D

AlbieF15 said:
Fletch,

Remember...you don't work at a Legacy so you have no right to enjoy your job. Why don't you just wake up and smell the coffee. Just like me....I work with great people, fly neat planes to neat places, but heck...I'm just a freight dog, right? Maybe AA will re-open their app window in a few years and we can finally move on to a better operation. FWIW...I've helped a whole bunch of legacy guys get ready for interviews at jetBlue, Southwest, and FedEx, and I don't see any of them pining for "what might have been..."

AirTran will survive as long as the website is the easiest in the industry to book tickets on (it is in my opinion), it has the nicest business class and easiest upgrades (again...my opinion) and remembers to take care of its customers. My biggest complaint about them is they stopped service to VPS a while back and are too scaredy cat to come land the 717 on 6k runway at PFN!

FedEx has 3% non-union. That is certainly NOT the same thing as being a SCAB, but when I go to work I chose not to let what I cannot control bother me. I don't think Ty, Fletch, or any of the Airtran guys have a darn thing to do with who was on the property before they even got there.

And one more point--the LCC's didn't destroy the legacies. Fletch and Ty didn't wake up and along with other pilots at LCC decided to try to ruin your job--in fact they wanted the same thing. The legacies squandered years of goodwill by punishing their highest value customers with ridiculous walk up fares. The internet revolution of the 90s made fare info aviailable to everyone, and suddenly travel agents and ticket offices lost a lot of pricing power. The fact that companies like JetBlue and Airtran treated even the "backpack" customer with value is why they have inspired such a loyal following. The majors are trying to catch up, and IMHO doing much better now than even 3 years ago in customer service--but for some it may be too little, too late.

Wow Albie,

I have never seen you cut another airline down before. Kudos, it says a lot about you and your business.

AA

AA,

I wasn't cutting anyone down, just pointing out that anyone in the business can stumble. I see and hear former AA, DAL, NW, UAL, and US Air guys either here at FDX or trying to get here. Instead of thinking "...good me for me, bad for them..." it instead reminds me to have a backup plan or a good parachute, because anything can happen. I don't for a minute think that somehow Fred Smith's genius makes me immune to career risks. Competition, labor battles, cabatoge, and eventually unmanned cargo drones can all wreck havoc on any of my best laid plans.

I also used AA as an example because I have had about a half dozen good friends there--2 were in my F15 squadron at Tyndall and both are long since furloughed. Another is a UPT classmate--furloughed. Another is an OV-10 guy who got on in 92/93 timeframe--he's safe but was furloughed back in the mid 90s cutback and went on active duty in his ANG unit for several years before being recalled. Another was an 88 hire--an old Auburn roomie. Last I heard he was an MD88 captain. His dad? Delta retiree. His brother--Piedmont/US Air... All 3 were typed on the 767 at one time and thought they had the world by the b@lls circa 1998. Well...one lost his job and dad may lose a portion of his retirement pension should Delta go Chpt 11. My roomie has already taken a 25% plus paycut as AA struggles to control costs and turn things around.

I wish no ill on AA or any of the other majors--I've got a lot of friends at each of them. My point to our flame-bait poster (which I suspect he is...) was simply that the industry has changed tremendously, and what once was a job considered secondary to the big majors (AA, UAL, DAL, NWA, and maybe CAL and US Air) is now in a lot of ways more lucrative and more secure. All this time--the LCCs have been profitable and haven't furloughed a single guy. Who would of thought in 2000 that going to Southwest (or even another small major like Alaska) was a better financial move? Which would you have said was the most secure? AA is famous here at FDX because more than a few guys left this company to go there in the 90s. Now things have turned around 180 degrees. Who can say it won't change again?

Regardless of all the derogatory comments on this thread, I'd be in heaven to be able to make $140K a year someday.

E170Guppykiller said:
Regardless of all the derogatory comments on this thread, I'd be in heaven to be able to make $140K a year someday.

once you get there you will just want 200:) -it's human nature

E170Guppykiller said:
Well just wait untill I'm 60 and then trick me out of my IRA and you'll be good for one year anyway. :)

I'm not sure how I could have missed this string for so long, given that it was originally about me . . . . I guess what I would say to the original poster is

"Got an issue? Have a @#%$^&* tissue".

This board has been around since at least 1996 in one form or another, and I have been here since then. During the upgrades, the old strings and profiles were lost, and have changed mine at various times, as have many others (you know who you are!). I have also contributed during at least the last two pledge drives, as have several hundred other people. This is probably an appropriate time to offer a big "thanks!" to Mark, the WebMeister, for giving us a place to get together to hang, schwing, shoot the #$&# and learn what we can about the industry . . . . Thank You, Mark.

Anyway . . . . not sure why the poser . . . err, poster, who started this whole thing felt compelled to launch this mess, but I think I can speak for the rest of my co-workers by saying that the AirTran pilots that I know do not think for an instant that we have the best deal going, nor do we think that we are the be-all end-all of aviation . . . . all we are saying is that we have come a long way, have a pretty decent gig going, and are continuing to work towards improving our contract for ourselves and our fellow pilots.

Anyway, if the original poster had any legitimacy, I would be happy to respond to specifics, but since he refuses to even state where he supposedly works, it seems that it would be a complete waste of time. It is very easy to hide in the shadows and hurl insults . . . if he ever wants to grow up and debate any specific issues, well, I'm here, as I have been, for a long time.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say to all of you who offered even a grudging support of my posts here- thanks for posting. When I post here, it is either to be entertaining, informative, humorous, or a combination of the three. I'm glad to know some of you appreciate it.

Best Regards,

TW

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back